New VII owner

Post photos and descriptions of your S1 V1, S1 V2, and/or S1 Dream coffee set ups here.
fireboss

New VII owner

Post by fireboss »

I have been lurking for awhile doing research on the VII. Well I made the jump and ordered from Chris. UPS scheduled a delivery date Sept 12th. I could not wait any longer to post and say thanks to all for sharing info on the forums. I
Niko

Post by Niko »

YeAh!!
Welcome to the S1 Cafe and I can't wait to read about your new adventure.
Fire up the boilers, baby!! :diabloanifire:
fireboss

Post by fireboss »

I have been busy the last few days prepairing for the arrival. I have run a dedicated 20 amp circuit and plumbed in a line from a newly installed RO water system. (I know that RO may not be the best for taste but its boiler safe?) I plan to plumb in a drain as well but I am not exactaly sure of all the fittings/parts I'll need to make my own drain kit. I am also not clear on the fittings needed to hook up a 1/4 inch water feed into the VII. Oh well only 2 days till I can touch it.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Great to hear that you are getting into things in a great way.

I believe that the VII comes with fittings for 3/8" tubing (not 1/4").

I also believe that you should at least consider putting a filter holder with a calcite and carbon filter cartridge in line before the VII. This will insure that you don't have any particulates going into the machine and will also give your water some minerals so that it tastes better. You can buy this stuff from Chris or try this site to get everything for less money (I have purchased cartridges from them and they are great):
http://www.wateranywhere.com/

If you call them they will work with you to be sure that you get the correct stuff. I don't use RO so I can't be sure what to point you to (if you had a "standard" water softener system like Chris sells I could tell you what to buy from them).

Take care and I'm sure that you will love your VII as much as the rest of us. I've had mine since April and can't imagine how I lived for almost 6 months with nothing after my Gaggia died.

Take care,
Mark
fireboss

Post by fireboss »

Well I recieved my new machine! Everything was packaged nicely but the pressure gauge did get knocked out of place and some minor abrasions on the side covers. I hooked it up asap and these are some pics of the inital placement in the kitchen. I am still trying to dial in the grinder and figure out how to get a shot that is not sour using the Black Pearl from Chris.

Niko

Post by Niko »

Aye boss,
How's the Black Pearl now?
Did you try crankin' the VII up to 94C? Try down-dosing a touch, grind a little finer (tamp the same of course) and see what you taste...

How much espresso are you getting into a cup volume-wise?

Your pucks look good, not that "puck-ology" really means anything.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I see the black plastic fence that goes around the cup warmer in the pile of stuff in your first picture but it's not installed in the bottom picture. Did you decide against using it or was it damaged in shipment?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
fireboss

Post by fireboss »

Thanks for th tip Niko. I jacked up the temp and tried a finer grind. The shots are much better now. They were sooo sour at first. Still a little short on volume about 1.25 oz doubles but thats OK for now. Like I said in my first post ....I am just starting in espresso, only 6 months experience with a charbucks barista.

Chas the plastic fence is fine, no damage. It is just a really tight fit under the cabinet. I'll have to break out some woodworking tools and get some more clearance for the cup warmer to be useful.

So I am only on day 2.5 and and I got my non-coffee drinking wife wanting a cappa in the morning. So they cant be that bad. I know I need pratice but it is nice to know that I can fool a non-drinker into the occasional cappa.

I tried the bottomless portafilter and did not have to mop up the kitchen. I would not say it was a pure channel free pour but it came together near the end. I just think that it is fun to see it develop.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My wife was never a coffee drinker either but I now have her hooked on a morning Latte. If I sleep too late she'll even make her own now. My next step is to wean her off the Monin sugar-free syrup.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I must have lucked out that my dual manometer wasn't rattled out of place when it arrived.

The manometer on my S1 was definitely knocked out of place, but I thought between having two copper tubes attached to it on the VII AND a bolt connecting it rigidly to the frame, that wouldn't happen on the VII.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
fireboss

Post by fireboss »

It took a ton of persuasion to bend that gauge back into place. I should have taken a closer look to see what happened before just reefing on it. I really do not know how it "popped" out of place in shipping. No damage and it works fine now. I think that it just was never in place to start with??? Monin sugar-free syrup?? I'll have to look that one up, my wife is a sugar addict. One heaping teaspoon per cappa min.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Those gauges are perfect before they leave Chris'.
They take great pride in their work, it's the shipping companies that mishandle things....trust me, I used to work for one years and years ago.

My wife is a sugar addict also, trying to do something about it... :?
If you guys have any ideas, I'm all ears.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Flattery might work. Tell her that you see that her taste buds are more discriminating than yours, and therefore you would like her to test some new blends. Of course, you are interested in her impressions of it as you will drink it without the sugar. Give her a few of your sweetest shots to taste, whether different or not. Could be she will find that sugar is not doing what she thought.
CLB

Post by CLB »

Fireboss,

That looks about the same as my gauge did on arrival.
Another item to watch is the motor start cap. Mine had fallen to one side and was rattling on fittings. It is dented in fact. It should mount straight above the motor. Like the gauge, it can be inspected/adjusted by removing the front panel.
fireboss

Post by fireboss »

CLB

Thanks, I have been so busy just pulling shots and trying to improve that I have not taken a good look inside yet. I mean to pull all the covers off and poke around to get a feel for the machine. Thanks for the info on the boiler insulation and refitting.
CLB

Post by CLB »

I looked up some of my "Day One" posts.

In my case it was the motor start cap that flopped over first. Then as the motor bounced around on its rubber mountings, the start cap proceeded to knock my pressure gauge into an adjacent zip code.

You can see the start cap from the rear in my insulation thread.
On the front it attaches under one of the motor housing nuts with a single inadequate strap. It does stay put just fine except for shipping.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I have to get up on my soapbox about sugar (among other additives in coffee).

Somehow there is this concept (usually among males), that espresso (or any coffee for that matter), must be consumed straight. A couple of simple points:

1. Who eats their steak without salt? Pepper? Do you consider yourself a steak purist only if the steak is totally plain?

2. Most Italians use sugar in their espresso. Some of this may be due to a commonplace use of Robusta, but I am pretty sure Italians invented espresso. So if anything, maybe actually using sugar makes you an espresso purist? :P

Now if you simply don't like sugar, that's fine. But please don't make it seem like it isn't coffee if someone adds sugar, cream, or even syrup. Coffee is meant to be enjoyed, not analyzed.

Peace to all - and yes I drink mine black most of the time, but I have lots of syrups & sauces, and use cream and sugar too. And I am male.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Everyone,
start throwing your sugar-cubes at him! :lol:
fireboss

Post by fireboss »

Damn this is fun. Sugar sugar everywhere but not a great shot to drink. I am trying to get a good shot that does not need sugar to make it taste OK. I just had an espresso at the best cafe around and now I realize that I need a lot of work to match that. I guess that 6 months of Charbucks espresso grind and their Barista machine does not make a "True Barista" out of me. I love that Vivaldi and I am still tasting every shot no matter how bad it is. So when I do get close to the good shots I will appreciate it that much more. Can't say enough good things about the forum.. thanks to all and again Damn this is fun!
Niko

Post by Niko »

"Charbucks"?, that is fun...never heard it called that before.
Nice!

Just for the record, again, I never use sugar and not because I'm male (Chris!) but because I simply don't like sweets.

As for drinkable espresso without sugar, I get those everyday and I'm not trying to boast but rather saying that you'll find your groove, 'Boss.
I'm a glutton for punishment, S.O. espresso for me most of the time because blends are like cheating :D
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Niko wrote: As for drinkable espresso without sugar, I get those everyday and I'm not trying to boast but rather saying that you'll find your groove, 'Boss.
I'm a glutton for punishment, S.O. espresso for me most of the time because blends are like cheating :D
I get drinkable shots too every day, and most have been S.O. as of late.

But for the early adopters who are home roasters, I would personally start with a Brazil, and do that S.O.

If you can't get a decent Brazil sweet on it's own, you need to keep trying (with your roast or your espresso routine).

And in a sense, blends can be trickier because of the temp thing. Every blend may need an adjustment in temp. It is just one more variable.

I recall some winner a couple years back of some Barista chamionship used 50/50 Brazil/Costa Rica. Sounds pretty pedestrian, but it was judged best tasting shot (or some such thing).
fireboss

Post by fireboss »

I am not ready to try home roasting yet. SO espresso sounds like an interesting journey. But I do see it in the future. I would be shot if UPS showed up with another package that had coffee gear in it. Going from zero to Vivaldi and Macap was a tough sell. We have a few decent local roasters here. I am going to tour Fratello on Thursday. They have won some COE awards and been invited to judge this year. I will be taking in a lot of coffee on Thursday as they have a Slayer!
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yeah, there's nothing like drinkin' coffee and listening to sLayeR!
:headbang: :headbang:

(probably not the same "Slayer" I'm talking about :lol:
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

I'd rather SoaD

"but just one pogo stick" :D :angel8:

btw, I hit the sweetspot with a single again :tongue8: :headbang:

EDIT: emos rearrangement :)

I guess I must post my setup photos finally.

Return to “Pride Page”