My Modest Setup

Post photos and descriptions of your S1 V1, S1 V2, and/or S1 Dream coffee set ups here.
bbqnut

My Modest Setup

Post by bbqnut »

In our old hallway/laundry room...

Niko

Post by Niko »

Aaah...
One of my favorite grinders in the whole wide world.
I love those MACAP doserless, they don't leave you penniless. Nice grinders don't come any more modest than that.
Nice rig buddy, the set up may be modest but the equipment sure isn't.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

I will be happy with the setup when the tamper actually fits!

I actually love the Bumper accessories. Can't believe I lived without those for the last few years.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The Bumper accessories are really nice, the knockbox rules the counter! You can really knock out the pucks with a vengeance.
What do you mean about the tamper fitting? - You must be talking about the tamper group buy which (I think it was you) that forced me into joining. I couldn't take the peer pressure so I caved.
Niko

Post by Niko »

You can always rinse the PF with the hot water tap and into the drip tray. Plumb the drain into some large capacity container below your counter and empty it out when it fills.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

My friend just got an Elektra plumb in for a very good deal.

He is going to have to do the exact same container thing, and I will be helping him Friday.

I think the trick is to keep the container emptied often. Otherwise it could get really nasty quickly. Plain water wouldn't be so bad, but throw organic material like coffee beans and milk in there, and ewwwwww
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Forgot to mention - I am 100% plumbed in.

My drain goes into the old washing machine drain pipe.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nice!
So the drain kit is working out great for you?
I'm really considering the drain kit for my old S1 since it's conveniently located where the dishwasher drain is so it can be tapped into.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

The drain kit did not work for me.

I had to make my own drain kit (for about $5).

I think that thread got deleted when the site lost content awhile back.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Richard mentioned that the drain kit works great for him :?
I do remember that thread before the crash of xmas eve....
AlbyAlby

Re: My Modest Setup

Post by AlbyAlby »

bbqnut wrote:In our old hallway/laundry room...

Hey bbqnut,

Where did you get the rubber base covering? I have been looking everywhere and have yet to find one. I will be placing my VII on wood as well.

Thanks!
Weska

Post by Weska »

I just moved my Vivaldi across the kitchen from where it had been sitting right next to the sink. It doesn't suck, but there are a couple of extra trips across the kitchen to dump pre-heating blind pulls and occasionally the drip tray.

I too want to plumb out to a largish drainage collector. My solution to the smell when it lingers would be to add a few drops of bleach to the container at an early stage. Bleach is a tremendous disinfectant and cheap, a thing I learned by using it to sterilize equipment for home brewing. Once I find a suitable fitting for the drip tray, I expect no further problems.
bbqnut

Re: My Modest Setup

Post by bbqnut »

AlbyAlby wrote:
bbqnut wrote:In our old hallway/laundry room...

Hey bbqnut,

Where did you get the rubber base covering? I have been looking everywhere and have yet to find one. I will be placing my VII on wood as well.

Thanks!
That is an Ikea special I bought about 3 years ago in the kitchen or organization section I think. They may have even come in a 2 or 3 pack, and of course they were very reasonable.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Weska wrote:I just moved my Vivaldi across the kitchen from where it had been sitting right next to the sink. It doesn't suck, but there are a couple of extra trips across the kitchen to dump pre-heating blind pulls and occasionally the drip tray.

I too want to plumb out to a largish drainage collector. My solution to the smell when it lingers would be to add a few drops of bleach to the container at an early stage. Bleach is a tremendous disinfectant and cheap, a thing I learned by using it to sterilize equipment for home brewing. Once I find a suitable fitting for the drip tray, I expect no further problems.
After selling the S1, I acquired both a Solis SL90 and a Pasuini Livia 90. I modded the drip tray of the latter, and realized that if I had to choose between plumbed in water feed or drain, I would always pick the drain. It is such a pain to empty a drip tray, especially when it is the size of a thimble (like the Livia). Even your idea into a bucket is sooooo much better than not doing anything. Just don't put milk down there, and you will be fine. Milk is what will cause mold, sour smell, etc.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I don't see the need for a drain with the S1. The drip tray couldn't possibly be any easier to remove. Takes me 30 seconds to remove, dump & rinse out. No muck collecting between the ribs on the bottom either.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Just don't put milk down there, and you will be fine. Milk is what will cause mold, sour smell, etc.
When I worked in the restaurant business, on a weekly basis we would dump diluted bleach into the drains to kill the bacteria. Occasionally we would have to scrub out the muck buildup.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

JohnB wrote:I don't see the need for a drain with the S1. The drip tray couldn't possibly be any easier to remove. Takes me 30 seconds to remove, dump & rinse out. No muck collecting between the ribs on the bottom either.
Doesn't sound like you are rinsing the group very well, otherwise that tray would be filled up once a day. :wink:

Don't forget there are those where the drip tray is a very long trip (over carpet) to the nearest sink.

I also removed my drip tray weekly to clean it out. With the factory drip tray it just lifts out. With the modded drip tray, it took a little more work, but was totally meant to be removed easily.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

bbqnut wrote: Doesn't sound like you are rinsing the group very well, otherwise that tray would be filled up once a day. :wink:

Don't forget there are those where the drip tray is a very long trip (over carpet) to the nearest sink.

I also removed my drip tray weekly to clean it out. With the factory drip tray it just lifts out. With the modded drip tray, it took a little more work, but was totally meant to be removed easily.
The group gets rinsed after every shot & I dump/rinse the tray at least once a day although I never wait for it to fill up. If you can't have your machine in the kitchen then I could see putting up with the problems inherent in a drain. If its in the kitchen then how far from a sink can it be?
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

JohnB wrote:
bbqnut wrote: Doesn't sound like you are rinsing the group very well, otherwise that tray would be filled up once a day. :wink:

The group gets rinsed after every shot & I dump/rinse the tray at least once a day although I never wait for it to fill up. If you can't have your machine in the kitchen then I could see putting up with the problems inherent in a drain. If its in the kitchen then how far from a sink can it be?
Mine was about 100 feet from the kitchen.

Also, the so called "problems" with a drain are greatly overstated I think. The only two problems I know of are leaking (easily solved), and stink (just don't put milk).

Also, unlike a lot of people who might pull a double or two every morning, I tended to use the machine 2-3 a week, but have to prepare drinks for maybe 5+ people. If I did not have a drain, it would a 100 foot trek about 3-4 times minimum for each session (which also interrupts my flow).

I agree, a drain is not for everyone. But then again, neither are "state-of-the-art" Italian gadgets. :twisted:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I take it you've had problems with your Italian machinery?? I've owned Italian cars, motorcycles & now Espresso machines. From my personal experience the products have been of very high quality but the companies & their back up can sometimes leave much to be desired.

I use my machine throughout the day/evening but I don't let everything fall into the tray. I pull a warm up flush directly into my cup to heat it up & toss the water in the sink most times. The nice thing about rinsing the tray daily is you never have to scrub out the bottom as nothing sticks or dries on.

Either way its a personal choice & its nice that we both have/had the option to drain or not. Did you sell your S1 due to too many problems?
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

JohnB wrote:I take it you've had problems with your Italian machinery?? I've owned Italian cars, motorcycles & now Espresso machines. From my personal experience the products have been of very high quality but the companies & their back up can sometimes leave much to be desired.
I have owned a Ducati dirt bike, several Italian espresso machines and grinders, and I have to disagree. The designs are typically messy and though look well built, tend to be unreliable. My friend had a 355 and 360 Modena, and they were awesome when they were running right, which was rare. When my S1 worked, it was awesome too...

Though I will say the S1 actually is quite neatly laid out inside, look at this very typical Italian beauty. Rats nest comes to mind.

Did you sell your S1 due to too many problems?
Aye.

Bad Fluid-O-Tech pump, metal shavings all throughout, poor electrical connections, and that was after a year. I didn't pay $2000 to get that. I could have those problems for a lot less :wink:

And there have been many with other problems with various sensors, flow meters, etc.

Like I have said before, the Japanese need to make an espresso machine. Give it 3 years, and nothing will touch it.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I've toured the U.S. twice(8000 miles each) on a 92 Ducati with no problems & on an 02 Aprilia once, again with no issues. The Ducati now has 45,000 miles on it & has been far more reliable then any of my BMWs.

The Japanese can build a reliable, soulless vehicle as long as they have something to copy so I'm sure they could turn out a decent Espresso machine. Of course it would be overly complicated & designed to be thrown away after a few years instead of rebuilt.

What do you consider a Ducati "dirt bike"? The Elephant or one of their old single cylinder scramblers?
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

JohnB wrote:I've toured the U.S. twice(8000 miles each) on a 92 Ducati with no problems & on an 02 Aprilia once, again with no issues. The Ducati now has 45,000 miles on it & has been far more reliable then any of my BMWs.

The Japanese can build a reliable, soulless vehicle as long as they have something to copy so I'm sure they could turn out a decent Espresso machine. Of course it would be overly complicated & designed to be thrown away after a few years instead of rebuilt.

What do you consider a Ducati "dirt bike"? The Elephant or one of their old single cylinder scramblers?
I had I think a '76 Scrambler type Ducati that was pretty unreliable and parts were very hard to get. I also had another Italian bike in the 80's that I had forgot about. It was a Husqvarna , that was actually a rebranded Cagiva. That was the one that literally had pieces falling off of it as I would ride down a dirt road.

I would respectfully disagree that the Japanese can only copy, make them soul-less, and design them to be thrown away after a few years. I am just not someone who likes to work on my gadgets on the weekends, as I would rather enjoy them, with or without the soul.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

bbqnut wrote:
I had I think a '76 Scrambler type Ducati that was pretty unreliable and parts were very hard to get. I also had another Italian bike in the 80's that I had forgot about. It was a Husqvarna , that was actually a rebranded Cagiva. That was the one that literally had pieces falling off of it as I would ride down a dirt road.

I would respectfully disagree that the Japanese can only copy, make them soul-less, and design them to be thrown away after a few years. I am just not someone who likes to work on my gadgets on the weekends, as I would rather enjoy them, with or without the soul.
Most motorcycles were fairly unreliable in the mid 70s by todays standards but the old Duc singles had their issues. Husqvarna was a Swedish bike company that Cagiva bought in the mid 80s & moved to Italy. BMW recently bought the company but plans to leave it in Italy.

Of course neither bike has anything to do with the current quality of the Italian motorcycle industry anymore then a mid 70s Pinto would the current Fords.

Keep in mind that if a Japanese company were to design an Espresso machine you can bet it would be built in China. Try to find any small appliance that isn't these days. I can't buy a toaster or bread machine that will last more then 2 years without problems that make it unrepairable cost wise. I'd hate to think of a Chinese built twin boiler Espresso machine
or the materials they would use.

I think its great that an Italian Espresso machine industry still exists & I hope they continue for many more years.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

JohnB wrote: Of course neither bike has anything to do with the current quality of the Italian motorcycle industry anymore then a mid 70s Pinto would the current Fords.
Nor would current Italian motorcycles have anything to do with current Italian espresso machines.
JohnB wrote: Keep in mind that if a Japanese company were to design an Espresso machine you can bet it would be built in China. Try to find any small appliance that isn't these days. I can't buy a toaster or bread machine that will last more then 2 years without problems that make it unrepairable cost wise.
Just off the top of my head, I happen to have 10 Japanese appliances not made in China (7 Made in Japan, 3 Made in Malaysia). Some were purchased recently in the last 1-3 years, others about 6-12 years ago, and still going strong):

Zojirushi Breadmaker (recent - Japan)
5 Liter Zojirushi Electric Hot Water Dispenser (recent - Japan)
3 Liter Zojirushi Electric Hot Water Dispenser (old - Japan)
10 Cup Zojirushi Rice Maker (recent - Japan)
8 Cup Panasonic Rice Maker (old - Japan)
Panasonic Infrared Toaster Oven (recent - Malaysia)
Panasonic Breadmaker (old - Japan)
Panasonic Microwave (recent - Malaysia)
Panasonic Electric Shaver (recent - Malaysia)
Onkyo Home Theater Receiver (recent - Japan)

Keep in mind that things like Apple computers, iPods, Weber Grills, HP Laser Printers, etc., etc. are made in China, and continue in many cases to be as good or better than their US/Japanese made counterparts of just a few years ago.

I think at this point I will just agree to disagree. I have had a lot of bad experiences with Italian stuff, and you have had a lot of good ones. That's it.

That being said, what type of espresso equipment am I sporting now? Of course a Pasquini espresso machine and a Nuova Simonelli grinder :shock:

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a Panasonic espresso machine in a heartbeat!!!

:P

Chris
Niko

Post by Niko »

Maybe someday the Japanese will make an espresso machine.
The only reason I doubt this would happen is because I don't think the Japanese are big coffee drinkers (especially espresso). Maybe some European company will contract them to make one :dontknow:

I see your point, Chris. That machine of yours had a bad attitude and I'd feel the same way if it happened to me. I've had a probe go out on my old S1 and some minor Teflon pieces in the the VII - nothing compared to what you've been through so I can't complain.

How's the Pasquini been treating you?
zoey

Post by zoey »

My Ducati 748 has been nothing but a dream bike (albeit I could have bought several espresso machines and grinders for the cost of routine maintenance)

The 996's had significant problems with flaking rockers.

What I've found is that if you love Italian products as if they are your second mistress and throw plenty of money at them, they will love you back. :wink:
Niko

Post by Niko »

I like the thought of having an Italian Mistress!! :P

...if my wife sees this thread...
my ass is grass.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Niko wrote:Maybe someday the Japanese will make an espresso machine.
The only reason I doubt this would happen is because I don't think the Japanese are big coffee drinkers (especially espresso). Maybe some European company will contract them to make one :dontknow:

I see your point, Chris. That machine of yours had a bad attitude and I'd feel the same way if it happened to me. I've had a probe go out on my old S1 and some minor Teflon pieces in the the VII - nothing compared to what you've been through so I can't complain.

How's the Pasquini been treating you?
Pasquini has been good to me. I got a real steal, and it is all up and running.

I forgot how loud a vibe pump was though...

Return to “Pride Page”