Basement Coffee Bar

Post photos and descriptions of your S1 V1, S1 V2, and/or S1 Dream coffee set ups here.
BrianO

Basement Coffee Bar

Post by BrianO »

Here's a shot of the basement coffee bar we just finished, proudly featuring the S1!

The appliance garage on the right houses the Alpenrost. I had them put a direct vent into the wall to get rid of the smoke. I'm sure it will require explanation if we ever sell the place....

I run the Alpenrost with the door all the way closed and the fan on. At first I left the door open a crack but the fan pulls so much air through, it didn't even finish roasting in 20 minutes. I had to start a new cycle. Here's a closer shot:
The Pavoni is the machine I used for the last 10 years. I bought it used at a garage sale for $15 and fixed it up for another $70 (old gaskets and a blown thermal fuse). It's been great but the temperature control was really terrible compared to the S1. I actually had to run the portafilter under cold water between shots to keep the espresso from boiling out of the bottom. It's tough at this altitude because water boils at 92.4 C (198F). Fortunately the S1 solves this.

Here's a shot of the S1:

I keep the syrups mostly for guests and the kids. The grinders are Isomac Gran Macininos, but I'm thinking of getting a Mazzer Mini-E. The steps are too large on the Gran Macinino (10 seconds sometimes in one click).

In case you're worried the kids aren't drinking coffee.... They like a steamed milk with powdered chocolate and vanilla syrup.
Last edited by BrianO on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BobG

Post by BobG »

I like your coffee bar setup! I used to have a LaPavoni Professional before the S1 as well.

Bob G.
BrianO

Post by BrianO »

Thanks! I don't think I'll ever be able to let the Pavoni go. I just have a special fondness for it. I always thought it was great how they used the same parts for decades. Hopefully the S1 will be just as easy to repair in 15 years!
RobertD

Nice setup!!

Post by RobertD »

I didn't know we had other Colorado members. I am in Denver. Maybe we can compare notes sometimes.
BrianO

Post by BrianO »

That would be fun, I haven't found anyone else who has had suggestions on how to deal with temperature and pressure differences at this altitude. You'd think there must be some Italians in the Alps who are still making great espresso at high altitude.

Maybe I'll start a high altitude thread.

I guess you have it a little easier at 5280, water boils at 94.9C at 5000. It's always nice when the water is liquid at the preferred extraction temp.

Probably a good reason why I can never retire to a high mountain hideaway :-)

http://www.fetco.com/boilingpoint.htm

I looked at the member database to see if there were any other owners at altitude but didn't see any.

Any other high altitude espresso junkies out there?

Return to “Pride Page”