Our new Mini II and Vario Setup

Post photos and descriptions of your S1 V1, S1 V2, and/or S1 Dream coffee set ups here.
RoninTech
Latte

Our new Mini II and Vario Setup

Post by RoninTech »

Ordered the stuff from Chris Coffee Monday afternoon and we had the items in our mitts up in Canada on Wednesday afternoon. Here's a goofy vid of me playing with the steam and some pics. Click the pic below to see the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOUs9eRPbDg&hd=1

We decided to make 1 latte and share it so we could get some sleep tonight. Unfortunately the camera battery died taking and then watching the setup pics and vids so I didn't tape it. This was our first time ever with an espresso machine and "real" grinder so we were VERY excited. :lol: Measured 16g of beans into the Vario set to 1 macro and 7 micro clicks from finest. It took 12-13s to grind the beans into the container. We then poured the grinds into the PF and tamped. It seems that both single and double buttons are setup the same on the Mini so we just pressed the single and hoped for the best. We were so focused on watching the bottomless PF that I forgot to time anything. :oops: The shot looked great to our untrained eyes, very similar to the youtube vids we've been watching. Nice crema and everything. I then steamed about 8oz of milk just using my hand to feel until I couldn't stand the heat anymore and totally winging it. The foam was great, very creamy but my first attempt at art was embarrassingly pathetic. Good colours though. Since we were sharing and I'm addicted to sugar and she isn't, Helen went first to have her half. She was so impressed that she said I had to try it even though I hadn't put my sugar in yet. A couple of minutes later we'd polished it off and I hadn't even thought about sugar! That just blew me away how smooth it was and now I'm excited to be able to eliminate sugar from my coffee.

Latte's done the same way as above for the ride to work in the morning and then tomorrow night we'll figure out how best to setup the buttons on both units and do more experimenting. Colour us very impressed so far! More vids to follow as we play! :grin:
Cheers,
Paul
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BobUSN

Re: Our new Mini II and Vario Setup

Post by BobUSN »

Woo-hoo! It's almost 1AM, but after reading this I want to go make some coffee...

Congrats, and welcome to the club. Many happy returns!
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Hi and welcome to the forums! Very nice set up and pictures. Best wishes with your machine! :smile:
Endo

Post by Endo »

Sweet looking setup.

Just a couple of suggestions:

Put the steam pitcher in freezer when not in use. Gives you more time to stretch the milk. You might want to consider a smaller 12oz pitcher as well (easier for single milk drinks IMO). Might want to get a milk thermometer too while you're learning (most will overheat without knowing and it really kills the taste).

Not a good idea to keep the extra PFs or tamper up there either. They will scratch the top or dent it. Top is best used for heating cups only.

I'd consider getting smaller $10 scale (1kg) mentioned here a few times from DealXtreme. Much smaller so you can keep it next to the grinder and free up valuable counter space.

Get a Cafelat tamping mat. Your granite counters will thank you.

Welcome again ....and enjoy!
oton

Post by oton »

Congrats for the new machine! :smile: Great kitchen!!! WOW.

4 questions:

- Did you remove the cup warmer plastic frame or you do not have it?
- The La Spaziale logo is transparent?
- The S1 logo is less bigger and... grey?
- The PF's don't have rubber in the handle?

:?:
MichaelN

Post by MichaelN »

oton wrote:The PF's don't have rubber in the handle?
I was disapointed when my PF's didn't have the rubber in the handle, including the bottomless PF. I called and asked about that and was told that this has been the case for a while now. (Mine is a month old)
RoninTech
Latte

Post by RoninTech »

Hi,

Still loving it and have gone through a pound of coffee worth of latte's, americano's and espresso's. :smile: Parent's were shocked at the price but were quickly made believers after a couple of lattes each. :lol:

Endo:

Thanks for the tip on the pitcher in the fridge. The single and double PF's are away in a cupboard as we've only been using the bottomless one so only ceramics are being heated up top now. Good call on a tamping mat as well as we've been folding up dish towels. The 20oz pitcher seems to be working well but if I see a smaller one for a good price I'll pick it up. A thermometer is also on the list just to see.

Oton:

The pics were immediately after assembly and I'd forgotten to put the plastic on top. Its up there now. The rear logo is made of a rubberized translucent material with chrome behind it to give the lettering a 3D mirror like effect. The front S1 logo is definitely smaller and more muted than what we'd seen in other pictures. I was actually considering removing it based on some pics I'd seen but we are fine with the updated decal that this one came with. The PF handles are bakelite, no rubber.
Cheers,
Paul
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Endo

Post by Endo »

Sharp eye on those changes Oton! Seems like Chris's latest batch from LaSpaziale.

Can you take a picture of the insides? I wonder if they made any changes there as well.? Perhaps a different steam boiler or improved plating on the reservoir adapter? (Too bad about the no rubber PF handles....I much prefer the old one).

Return to “Pride Page”