Cappuccino Time

S1 Video Forum
Niko

Cappuccino Time

Post by Niko »

Here's a Cappa from start to finish. Note the two blank shots before the final pull to warm up the group.
This was shot in real time, meaning I traded a this Cappuccino to the video guy who requested it ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZbhV2lIaRI
Weska

Re: Cappuccino Time

Post by Weska »

Thank you for that, Niko. You are such a tease. We got to see a smidgen of jowl this time, didn't we?

Nice to see your routine in detail. It makes me curious about two things.

First, you seem to concentrate a lot on distribution, using at least three different techniques. (I see WDT, then a lot of Stockflething, and finally a lot of nutating before the final tamp.) Which of these would you say--if you can say--is the most helpful or critical? (Put another way, which one would you be most reluctant to see exorbitantly taxed?)

Second, you discard the first of your foam before starting the art. How does that change your results?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Distribution is very important to me. Since I don't use dosered grinders, the chopstick comes in handy to stir the grinds as they fall into the basket. Sometimes I mess with it a little more than other times after the grinding is complete so everything is nice and even, the "Stockflething" or whatever it's called (funny because I've been using this for years and didn't know it was a recognized technique :oops: ) is actually the single most important thing to me since it adversely effects my shots if I skimp on this. I don't like using extra tools such as yogurt cups and sharp objects to break clumps up but the chopstick is what keeps the counter clean along with the 1/4 section of a yogurt container - it's really to keep up with the neatness factor. The chopstick and partial yogurt container can certainly be ditched but I prefer not having any grinds to clean up.
The tamping is pretty fast usually, with the Thors it's a quick slam into the baskets since there's absolutely no wiggle room for extracurricular activities. I was using the new Espro with the convex bottom so there's plenty of space to mess around with on these. I have to change the game accordingly with the (many) tampers I have but in the end it's the same pressure applied into the cake.
As for the foam after steaming milk, I don't always throw any away - sometimes it gets a little frothier so the start of it gets tossed.
I have pounded out Cappuccinos much faster than this video but I needed to do this in one take last night since the person who operated the camcorder was leaving soon.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Pretty cunning, Niko. I had never thought of pitching my less-than-ideal foam.

And agreed that distribution is important. I've arrived at a spoon-in plus tap then tamp way of going about it. Always good to see another way. Maybe I'll try some version of your ways.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I really like your frothing pitcher. Where did you get it? Looks like about a 20oz, is this correct?
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's an Alessi 17oz.
They're really nice pitchers, the best in the world in my opinion.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

i generally make the coffee and then steam the milk; is that a mistake 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

michael wrote:i generally make the coffee and then steam the milk; is that a mistake 8)
I either do both at the same time or make the coffee first.
Niko

Post by Niko »

You can do it in any order you like, Michael. As long as the shot doesn't sit around too long.
I steam and pull the shot at the same time so neither sit around too long.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

im going to try your method tomorrow morning 8)
Endo

Post by Endo »

Niko wrote:It's an Alessi 17oz.
They're really nice pitchers, the best in the world in my opinion.
Never heard of a 17 oz pitcher. Looks like a 12 oz to me. No?

Alessi pichers seem really nicely made but they are expensive (3 times the price of most). I'm concerned about the rolled edge on the spout. I thought a more pointy, sharp edged spout was better for more precise control for latte art? :-?
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

i have the 17 ounce pitcher and the smaller one; expensive, but a very cool design 8)
zoey

Post by zoey »

Endo: They make the following size pitchers:

15cl, 25cl, 35cl, 50cl (17oz), 75cl, 100cl, 150cl, 200cl, and 300cl.

My current pitcher is a 20oz, which looks like this:
New_Steam_Pitchers.jpg
New_Steam_Pitchers.jpg (4.6 KiB) Viewed 28750 times
It does a fine job, but I think the spout design of the Alessi will produce better art for me.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Everything about the Alessi pitchers are perfect:
Weight/Balance.
Shape.
Build Quality.
Spout.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The only surprise I ever had with my Alessi is with my assumption that the Alessi logo was a permanent fixture of the pitchers. That is until the day mine peeled off in the dishwasher.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

Cool. I'm currently looking for a high quality replacement for my cheap "tapered" 12oz pitcher. I was thinking of getting the Espro Toroid, but they only make 20oz. I think the 17 oz Alessi would be perfect but I can't seem to find it online anywhere.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I was wondering why I didn't see the logo in the video. I'll be ponying up the money for one as soon as I get back from the Dominican Republic 8)

Here's a link to the 50cl Alessi (you owe me bud....their site navigation is anything short of astrophysics :roll: )

http://www.alessi.com/en/2/1131/tea-and ... 0-milk-jug
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Niko wrote:Here's a Cappa from start to finish...
Hm, tell the truth, you weren't very happy with the rosette this time, were you?? :smile: You hid it right away.
But on the other hand, you fullfilled your promise to Weska and showed yourself - wow! :grin:
Ha ha ha!
Endo

Post by Endo »

zoey wrote: Here's a link to the 50cl Alessi (you owe me bud....their site navigation is anything short of astrophysics :roll: )

http://www.alessi.com/en/2/1131/tea-and ... 0-milk-jug
Some more cafe "bling".

Now that I finally figured out my preferred pitcher size, I'm upgrading to the Alessi (50cl size).

Man they're expensive. Not available in Canada either. Had to have it imported from Cookware.com. Just in time for Father's day!

http://www.cookware.com/Alessi-103-AAS2119.html
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

When I was shopping for a new pitcher recently I considered one of those; briefly. At twice the price of the Motta I just couldn't see it but they are pretty. Too pretty for my abuse. The Motta I bought is already showing a few scratches from being tossed in the ice cube bin & sink.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I wanted something heavy and high quality. My choices were Motta or Alessi. I was a bit worried about the shape of the Motta and decided to stick with a shape that I know will work.

I agree it's a lot of money for a pitcher, but I figured "what the heck", if I can't afford the GS/3, at least I'll have the best pitcher.

You guys are a bad influence. But at least I can say I've steered clear of the recent Cocobolo addiction (for now anyway). :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'm very impressed with the Motta so don't be afraid to try one in the future. I've moved on from Cocobolo; we are looking at Snakewood & a few other "species" for the Vivaldi knob & p/f handle.

Return to “Vivaldi Video Villa”