Digital Gram Scales

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
Niko

Digital Gram Scales

Post by Niko »

This is one accessory you shouldn't do without.
I just got another scale on eBay and I'll post a report on it after I use it for a while. It should arrive sometime next week so stay tuned.
It's a bench scale with a good sized platform with a decent 5.73 pound capacity, my favorite part is its 0.1 gram accuracy. This is something I've been looking for in a scale for a long time. One can weigh their doses in the PF before and after, it also makes a fantastic roasting scale as well.
Additional features include adjustable feet with a bubble level, AC adapter or battery power, calibration weight and a pad to reduce vibrations.
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

Niko,
I badly need one!
Can you post a hint which one you've bought and vendor pls.

Nathan
Niko

Post by Niko »

No problem.
The one I just bought is called the "My Weigh iBalance i2600", I can't say anything about how good or bad it is yet since it only looks great on paper to me so far.
This is the same scale I got from this same vendor:
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index ... &ProdID=39
Only difference is that I went on eBay and got it cheaper.
I also opted for the 2,000 gram calibration weight.

This scale is a little on the LARGISH size so it may not be for everyone. For those who want a smaller one where space is an issue - do not get this one, it will need some room.
I'm just tired of having 2 different scales to do a few things and this one will solve the problems in one of my coffee areas where I need weigh for roasting and shot dosing from a single scale.

If you go on eBay, type in "digital gram scales" in the search field. Scroll until you find a scale with the resolution of: 600X0.1 gram and you'll see this same vendor, he's very good and extremely helpful.
4vDesmo

Post by 4vDesmo »

I have and use a gram scale. I'm disappointed, however, in that it will literally change the reading as it sits. 17 grams of coffee becomes 16, then 15, yet the beans haven't moved. This will take place over a minute or so.

The scale is a Salter, acquired at a local Bed, Bath & Beyond. It wasn't expensive, and I figured it was a decent kitchen-product brand and would be fine. But I do question its accuracy, and therefore it's usefulness.

A scale is a good thing. I wish mine was better & more accurate, but I think I only paid about $25. And it isn't like I'm weighing gunpowder, so I guess it isn't THAT critical. Still, I'd like to not see it changing it's feeble mind.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Steve,
Try putting your scale on a mousepad (or something flat and cushioned) like a tamping mat, it will reduce the vibrations caused by things in the household like microwave ovens, refrigerators, etc..
Any little interference will wreak havoc on your readings and what you describe sounds like what your scale is suffering.

You don't have to spend a lot of $$ to get a decent scale, you're paying more for the specialized ones with certain features. A really nice, super useful gram scale can be had brand new on eBay for under $15 delivered (I mentioned this on another thread) - it's a small pocket scale. I just wanted to show people that a really nice table-top scale that normally goes for big bling can be had for under $120, the build quality may not be the same as some of the super high end ones but it looks like it will hold up for daily use for several years.
Weska

Post by Weska »

I think it's pretty usual for a digital scale to wander around plus or minus one unit at its minimum resolution. If you need to know a weight at a particular resolution, you should get something that is an order of magnitude better. (For 1 gram resolution, then you should choose one tenth of a gram as the scale specification.)

When you get into the class that Niko is talking about, with a broad range and a fine resolution, you pay much more because you have more than one sensor. Cheaper scales, as I understand it, look at the reading through a strain gauge and then amplify that signal to get a value in the lower ranges. Environmental factors can play with your reading when it is under amplification. Naturally, it's more accurate and stable to have a gauge optimised for one range. Or a pair or triplet of gauges for each applicable range. That can be in one expensive scale or in a brace of them.
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

Just ordering 2 scales (same vendor where Niko bought his scale)

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/#24HO ... ALESPECIAL
(They combined shipping in same order)

Jennings/JScale CJ300 Black Table Top Digital Jewelry Scales
Add 200 gram calibration weight
Add AC power adapter
Part#: CJ-300-BLK-P78-AC-WT

Jennings/JScale CC-100 - 0.05g Pocket Scale / Jewelry Scales
Add 100 gram calibration weight
Part#: JS-CC-100-P35-WT

One 4 Hottop, one 4 pf
Almost ready to pull FRIST shot :oops:
Cafesp :lol:
bugbus

Post by bugbus »

I have a 400-z from the same vendor. It came with a small rubber pad for it to sit on. It's accurate to .1g and is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It's perfect for measuring out beans for a shot. Here's my procedure:

1) Turn it on with my small plastic shot cup sitting on it. It automatically tares to zero with the container.

2) Pick up the cup and scoop up beans.

3) Put cup on scale and look at display. With continued use you get very good at scooping your target amount. For me, 15g.

4) Add/Remove bean at a time for exact measurement.

5) Throw beans in hopper, cover with tamper, and grind

6) Pull your shot and forget about the scale since it will turn off automatically

I also use it to measure greens for roasting. The 400z goes up to 400g so if you're roasting more than that, just add increments of less than 400g.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Sorry I haven't reported much on this scale, folks.
I'm waiting for a replacement soon since the first one arrived with a bent tray.
The vendor has been great so far, no questions asked - they wanted to replace the whole scale rather than send just a tray :roll:
michael

digital gram scales

Post by michael »

i recently purchased one of the smaller scales, 550 gs down to 0.1g; i think its great, but i would recommend getting a calibration weight with the scale; i purchased a 500g weight when i got the scale 8)
JohnB

Re: digital gram scales

Post by JohnB »

michael wrote:i recently purchased one of the smaller scales, 550 gs down to 0.1g; i think its great, but i would recommend getting a calibration weight with the scale; i purchased a 500g weight when i got the scale 8)
Do the scales go out of calibration regularly? Will a 500g weight recalibrate it to be accurate to a .1g?
michael

digital gram scales

Post by michael »

mine was off 1g when it arrived; the 500g weight was what they sold me as the calibration weight; since the recal, its been dead on (at least at 500gs); i would definitely purchase a weight with the scale 8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

Mine was off by .4 grams when it arrived, the 2,000 gram calibration weight quickly fixed that.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Just got the replacement scale yesterday.
It's really nice to have the display not jump around in numbers like the warped tray caused on the old one. It's normal for these precision scales to momentarily change readings but a stable padded surface with less interference minimizes this.

BTW, This scale was off by .5 gram so it had to be calibrated like the other one.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Don't even think about buying a scale from the Oldwillknotts website until you look through his Ebay store. Prices there are 50% of what you see on his site & include the calibration weight.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yeah, that's exactly how I got mine...on his eBay store :wink:

So far this replacement scale is a huge difference from the old one. This one is waaaaay more stable.

Return to “Accessories”