No burn steam arm

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
BrewHaHa

Re: No burn steam arm

Post by BrewHaHa »

TomP10 wrote:Has anyone used the no-burn steam arm? I have a LaSpaz S1 (late model version I)... I believe the new no-burn arm will fit my machine ---- has anyone used it... sounds nice to me.

A couple quick questions

(1) how many holes does the no-burn steam tip have? What are their diameter?

(2) can I swap the new 4-hole steam tip onto the new no-burn steam arm?

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions. - Tom
Love the no-burn arm. I like its angle, and the fact that milk doesn't get plastered to it.

Didn't care for the 2-hole tip it came with, though. Am currently groovin' with the "new" .9mm 4-hole tip, which gives me enough control to do 3-4 oz of milk for a single cap, and isn't too slow for 8 oz for 2 caps. (Okay, it's kind of slow for 8oz - 30 sec or so - but it seems a good compromise for me, since about half the time I do 4oz and half the time 8oz.)

If you use something other than the stock 2-hole, though, you'll want to wrap the plastic tube inside the no-burn arm with teflon tape, as has been outlined in this thread. Otherwise the steam blows up into the arm, and makes it less "no-burn".
Niko

Post by Niko »

I liked it very much but the only problem is I wish the Vivaldi had room for 2 arms! - I'd keep both on.
The 2-hole tip is OK, just another tool to get used to but I'm back to the S5 arm (the longer of the 2 Spaziale arms) with the newer small 4-hole tip. I keep swapping the two tips back and forth (larger and smaller 4-hole).
It really depends on the quantity of milk you use, if it's small amounts, go with the No Burn arm with 2-hole tip. The mod with the teflon tape worked for me but I still like the S5 arm more...
Niko

Re: No burn steam arm

Post by Niko »

TomP10 wrote:Has anyone used the no-burn steam arm? I have a LaSpaz S1 (late model version I)... I believe the new no-burn arm will fit my machine ---- has anyone used it... sounds nice to me.

A couple quick questions

(1) how many holes does the no-burn steam tip have? What are their diameter?

(2) can I swap the new 4-hole steam tip onto the new no-burn steam arm?

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions. - Tom
Tom,

Here's a little clip showing all three arms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1GRAarIhSc
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

I am still getting used to my no burn arm with the 2 hole tip, typically steaming small amounts 4 oz or so for small drinks. I have yet to get fantastic microfoam although it is slowly improving. My rosette are still a bit broad leafed and not as tight as when I used the non stock older 2 hole tip on the burn arm.

Evan
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Will the no-burn arm fit the S1? I asked Chris directly and he referred me back here! LOL
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Since the No Burn Steam Arm page on the Chris Coffee site explicitly states that it fits the S1, I assume Chris directed you here so you could read the discussions and pros and cons of those of us that have already tried it.

wforum/viewtopic.php?t=529&highlight=burn
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Thanks, Chas -

I feel dumb as I'm staring at Chris' site (the no-burn arm page) and can't see where it says that!!

Either way - I can always count on you all to share the knowledge!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chas
Hottop P/B
BrewHaHa

Post by BrewHaHa »

hlsheppard wrote:Thanks, Chas -

I feel dumb as I'm staring at Chris' site (the no-burn arm page) and can't see where it says that!!
On that page I only see the Vivaldi II specifically mentioned, but I can report that I installed the no-burn on my Vivaldi I with no problem. (It's the version that http://www.rimpo.org/s1/S1Archives.html lists as the "New (Post 2/20/2004)" model.)

-John
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Thanks, John!

Based on the reading here, I'm going to do the teflon tape mod with the newer 4 hole tip as well.

Wish me luck - I'm not very mechanically inclined! :shock: :shock:

I have the "post 2004" model as well.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Keep in mind that the only real differences between the S1 and the VII are:

1) Different labels on the temp LEDs
2) A different boiler temp probe, same fitting
4) Dual manometer
3) Updated software and controller board that accepts the optional timer

Everything else is physically identical.
Chas
Hottop P/B
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Not to beat a dead horse, but that's what I *thought*

That's why I was surprised when Chris sent me here instead of just a simple "yes!" :?
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Today my No-Burn arm arrives with the newer four hole tip as well! This weekend will be a "tweak-fest!!"

I am also trying the Black Pearl for the first time with this order...

Why oh WHY must I change all of those variables at once?? :roll: :D
BrewHaHa

Post by BrewHaHa »

hlsheppard wrote:Today my No-Burn arm arrives with the newer four hole tip as well! This weekend will be a "tweak-fest!!"

I am also trying the Black Pearl for the first time with this order...

Why oh WHY must I change all of those variables at once?? :roll: :D
Ha! Have fun! I look forward to hearing how it goes.

-John
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Well, the new arm is installed! I have kept the "stock" 2-hole tip for now. I steamed some milk (for my kids) and had a couple of shots of Black Pearl while I was at it. For me, the retaining nut at the top of the steam arm was a TIGHT fit! The edges of the nut were slightly scraping against the inside of the side panel (if that makes sense). But, it's good and snug. It's also straight, with no leaks. I did re-install the o-ring and spring seat "thing," etc.

So far, so good. It is pretty neat to just be able to leave the steam valve cranked open and be able to not only hold the wand, but clean milk from it so easily.

Maybe it's because of the advice here in advance, but my microfoam wasn't so bad. It was a little foamy until I compensated for the odd angle (yes, it is ODD), but the slower steaming gave me more time to spin the milk to smooth it out a bit. I think with a few more pitchers, I'll be fine.

Thus far - haven't taken the new 4-hole tip out at all. :thumbright:
Niko

Post by Niko »

hlsheppard wrote:I compensated for the odd angle (yes, it is ODD)
YOU BET!

I wouldn't even bother with the 4-hole tip, Howard.
If you're getting pretty good results with the 2-hole, just keep it on.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Howard, if you try the 4 hole tip, note the thread posted earlier about wrapping teflon tape around the tube that goes down the middle of the no burn arm in order to seal the gap between it and the hole in the tip.

Jason at CC noted to me that the 2 hole tip has a clear doughnut gasket just inside the opening (practically invisible) that makes this seal. The other tips don't have this gasket nor do they have the required groove to be able to retrofit with the seal.

Without a decent seal there, the hot water will get back up the arm on the outside of the plastic tube and make the arm hot negating much of the no burn feature.

Even worse, I saw a thread on another forum about this which noted that milk can also get sucked back up the arm and, if it gets on the outside of the plastic tube, it will sit there and go sour. Then you run the risk of getting bacteria and/or mold in future milk steamings.
Chas
Hottop P/B
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Yep -

I read the BIG thread that you provided earlier (in it's entirety) three times! I have teflon tape at the ready if I decide to go that way. The fear about the milk and water getting trapped up there will probably keep me happily where I am...

However, to be honest, I don't see the need at this point. I made decent latte art-capable microfoam this morning again. I actually like the few extra seconds that the two hole tip gives me to "play." :wink:

Return to “Accessories”