naked portafilter

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
coffeeowl

naked portafilter

Post by coffeeowl »

:tool:
Hi!
I will want to buy a naked portafilter when I get my S1 (and it is going to be really soon :sunny: ).
I would buy from 1st-line but unfortunately they don't ship outside US.
So I have a question: are the naked portafilters from other suppliers the same good? I have a very limited judgment ability - basically by photo and the one at 1st-line looks 'better' (on the picture :compress: ) then for example the one at espressoparts. So are they heavily enough built, correct size, weight, etc? Any recomendations (please :angel3:) ?
Thanks
Pawel
:happy7:
Niko

Post by Niko »

The best ones are cut from actual Spaziale factory PF's (they're not made by Spaz but someone else who does it for them).
These will be the best fitting ones, the feel of the weight and ears are just right. Chris' Coffee doesn't ship internationally?
I wouldn't worry too much about using just the standard PF's, I actually DO NOT LIKE the taste of espresso from a naked. Although, they're a great troubleshooting tool and good to have around.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Actually I think lino makes the ones Chris sells.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yep, you're right - I have one of those from Chris. They're the best ones, I was hoping he can order one from Chris' but I'm not sure they ship overseas...?

They're from Spaziale and cut for Chris by Lino.
EricC

Post by EricC »

I too have one of Lino's creations, bought from Chris and shipped to the UK. If you e-mail Chris and ask him nicely he may put you in touch with one of his very helpful staff to enable an international purchase. :D

Regards
Eric

PS I have also bought the No Burn and the S5 steam wands, love the S5 steam wand along with the new 4 small diameter hole tip. Excellent heads up on these from all on the group, many thanks. 8)
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Thanks for replies!
I also noticed that ChrisCoffee doesn't ship internationaly, but I had no idea that I could ask them for that. So I wil ask. By the way, are the triple baskets still available? I think it would be best to buy one with the nude tool :booty: :pirate:

Hm... the emoticons are great! :newb:
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

unfortunately I didn't get any response from ChrisCoffee about international order and shipping. So what now? :?
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

coffeeowl wrote:unfortunately I didn't get any response from ChrisCoffee about international order and shipping. So what now? :?
Call them or email:

mary@chriscoffee.com
angela@chriscoffee.com
chris@chriscoffee.com
Weska

Post by Weska »

Yes, I asked about shipment to Russia, and they quickly responded that it was something they would do. I balked at the price (about $51 for a Bumper tamper stand and knockbox--your naked pf should be around the same), and I will do it via a relative traveling soon to the US. However, they did answer me in the affirmative.

Like you, coffeeowl, I assumed that the absence of a country option outside the US and Canada in the shopping basket meant that they wouldn't ship elsewhere. That's not so. They will ship overseas upon request.

Why they didn't answer you...hard to say.
Niko

Post by Niko »

A relative visiting the U.S. would be a great option if you have that luxury :D
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Maybe because I used the 'contact us' form on their webpage. I'll try again by email.
Anyway I found an European site where the naked portafilter is available, and they even have a blindfilter for S1.
The portafilter looks like this:
http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/shop/catal ... -2904.html
Funny thing is they advertise it to be better then the ones cut from the originals... :roll:
Weska

Post by Weska »

Hey, coffeeowl, happydonkey didn't want to ship to Russia on its website. Maybe Poland is a different story, but you might have to write them an explanatory e-mail same as to Chris. Actually, I was tempted by the blind basket and the seemingly bigger version of the plastic knockbox.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I wouldn't consider any other PF than the stock Spaziale being better. Spaziale PF's are very heavy, anyone else care to post a weigh-in on any 3rd party versions, please do so.
One of the Spaziale ones I use weighs a whopping 793 grams!

I like how they note naked PF's create better creme on that site, it's NOT better...it's just bigger bubbles which create the illusion of more creme.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

now they have Russian Federation listed, I think they have all possible countries.
How do you find the bottomless? I think it looks solid.
Weska

Post by Weska »

I have the naked from 1st Line, and it is perfectly OK. It isn't better than any other (even though it was chromed after cutting away the bottom of somebody's normal pf).

Almost by definition, a naked portafilter does less for the coffee than any other, although it lets you see more. The mass of a spouted filter is reduced so that heat retention is no longer as great. The path of the coffee into the cup is less turbulent and therefore not as much churned and mixed. (This, I think, is related to Niko's point about how the crema is coarser and therefore seemingly more voluminous.)

Because of the mild influence of any naked pf on the coffee, you should chose any one of them based on convenience and price. There is no quality issue to onsider.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Yes, coffeeowl, they have the Russian Federation listed as a possibility in their drop-down, but they don't support it when you go to make a purchase. If you go all the way through checkout, you get an error message that there is something wrong with the ship-to address.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

oh yes, I made a tryout and got 'no shipping method' message :(
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Oh well I'd like to complain I can't get the bottomless portafilter accompanied with a couple of tools in any reasonable way.
I'm forced to order from espressoparts yet they have only FedEx shipping option which is high price. Anyone has any clue???
Weska

Post by Weska »

I'm still surprised that Chris won't ship to you, expensive as it might be, once you e-mail them about it.

For a bottomless (probably not carved out of a La Spaziale original to judge by the picture) pf, you could try www.pasmarose.de. Take a look at this linkhttp://www.pasmarose.de/catalog/product ... e09a3ee872which I can't seem to hide like everybody else on the forum. They say they ship to Europe for 6 euros and the pf costs 36 euros. They have a lot of other nice things.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

If it's easier to obtain a hole saw bit you can make your own. Access to a drill press makes it much easier. That's how I got my first one before the manufactured versions were available.
Chas
Hottop P/B
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Weska wrote:Take a look at this linkhttp://www.pasmarose.de/catalog/product ... e09a3ee872which I can't seem to hide like everybody else on the forum.
This is what the code would look like:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.pasmarose.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/181?osCsid=01054be4e8f841403057cae09a3ee872]link[/url]

And this would be the result:

link
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Actually it should be [URL] rather than [URL=. However, the easier way is to click the URL button in the upper right while you are writing a message, then enter the URL, and then click the URL button again.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Weska

Post by Weska »

Thank you for the tutorial, guys.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Weska,

thanks for the link. I wanted also the blindfilter and a knockbox and a Reg Barber tamper (now I only have Schomerisch aluminium convex Ergo Packer, I'd love to use stainless steel Reg Barber convex & flat) plus some brushes and shot glasses. It's alltogether reasonable to get it all in one*, except that the shipping cost is crazy. I asked them for contact and then phoned them and now I'm awaiting an email with the package dimensions and weight.
Theoretically I could get the bottomless from Pasmarose and then the blindfilter from Hasbean but again: no RB and I pay for shipping twice.

EDIT: * from Espressoparts

Return to “Accessories”