Any possibility a ridgeless basket exists?

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
az erik

Any possibility a ridgeless basket exists?

Post by az erik »

I've gotten very used to dosing directly into my baskets while popping them in and out of my bottomless PF on my Expo. Any chance there is ridgeless for the S1 or am I better off despringing it? Currently I fumble around with the dosing if I'm holding the entire PF handle to the grinder.
expy98

Re: Any possibility a ridgeless basket exists?

Post by expy98 »

or you can bend the PF spring so that it's very easy to remove the basket, which is what I do...
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

expy98 wrote:or you can bend the PF spring so that it's very easy to remove the basket, which is what I do...
+1, with the Vivaldi you have to bend and loosen the spring in any case as otherwise pulling the basket out is quite a fight.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Same here, I bent the springs to allow easy removal.
But the triple baskets that I bought show very shallow ridging that could be almost be called ridgeless.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Greg made his own triples a while back (when you couldn't buy them). They were ridgeless.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1274#p15774

I think JohnB did the same thing by hammering it out IIRC. Though I imagine this might be tricky if the metal has some spring to it.

If your only goal is to remove the basket, then bending the wire is the easiest method.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I probably gave up too quickly in bending the PF spring as I never was able to get an acceptable result. I eventually read about and successfully tried LM PF springs I ordered from Espresso Parts. In spite of LM using 58mm PFs, those springs work fine on the S1. The real difference is that the gauge of wire used on those LM PF springs is a lot lighter than the LaSpaz springs so that they pop out easily while still holding firmly enough that they don't fall out.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

az erik wrote:I've gotten very used to dosing directly into my baskets while popping them in and out of my bottomless PF on my Expo. Any chance there is ridgeless for the S1 or am I better off despringing it? Currently I fumble around with the dosing if I'm holding the entire PF handle to the grinder.
There was one "stock" ridgeless that I made by removing the ridge from a stock basket which now resides in the Boston area. Tweaking the spring or going with the LM spring as Chas recommends is your best bet.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

As a side note to my previous post that I forgot to mention, I now have an LM GS/3 and it has a stiff PF spring just like the S1. So I guess what Espresso Parts sells as their LM replacement spring isn't actually the same as a stock LM spring, but in this case that's a good thing. I am about to put one of these on my LM as well since I am tired of prying out the PF with a screwdriver.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “Accessories”