Orphan Espresso Dosing Funnel

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
JamesPN007

Orphan Espresso Dosing Funnel

Post by JamesPN007 »

Does anyone else have one of these? If so, does the funnel fit snugly into your PF baskets? http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Alumin ... _2415.html

I was really excited to get this since it seemed to solve the issues of: 1) providing a mess-free method of dosing directly into the PF from the Mazzer, 2) providing a method to retain the grinds in the PF during WDT, and 3) it looks like it is an integral part of our espresso making equipment (unlike the chopped up yogurt cup). Unfortunately, the diameter of the funnel I received is about 1-2mm too small to fit snugly into the LS baskets (tried on all 3 baskets - single, double, and triple). Since the funnel does not fit snugly into the basket, it just pops right out during my espresso prep routing, creating a bit of a mess.

I ordered the 53/54mm size, which OE states is actually 53.5mm at the base. I see that OE also offers a 51mm size, so if others are getting a snug fit with their funnel I am wondering if maybe they shipped me the wrong size funnel.

Thanks!!
JohnB

Re: Orphan Espresso Dosing Funnel

Post by JohnB »

I use both their 49mm & 58mm dosing funnels. Both fit snuggly in my baskets so I'm guessing you are right about getting the wrong size basket. Have you measured it?
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

I also use these funnels.
The funnel that I use for the Vivaldi, is actually at 53.54 mm (2.108 inch). Although it fits nicely, I still occasionally unseat the funnel and spill the grounds but it is just because of me.
At 51mm the funnel would be very, very loose.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
JamesPN007

Post by JamesPN007 »

I have not measured the diameter yet (I will later this evening), however, with one of those cheapie plastic rulers I am not sure I will get all that accurate of a measurement (i.e. might be off by a millimeter or two, which in this case apparently makes quite a bit of difference). Unfortunately I do not have the tools to measure to the nearest 1/100th of a millimeter as slo has done. Slo - would your funnel fall out if you turned the PF upside-down, or does the fit in your basket keep the funnel in-place?

The funnel has some play in the basket and there is definitely a little clanking when doing a light side-to-side shake of the PF with the funnel in, and the funnel falls right out when if the PF is turned upside-down. This instability makes it difficult to use for purposes of leveling off the grinds using a side-to-side shake. It sounds like it may indeed be the wrong size. I will check the size using my crude measuring tool later, and email OE to and see what their thoughts are.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The funnel isn't a press fit into the basket. It will definitely drop out if you turn the basket over. By the time you get to the leveling stage the funnel should be removed as it's only useful for "funneling" the grounds into the basket. I give the basket a couple light taps to settle the grounds down inside away from the funnel & then pull it out.
JamesPN007

Post by JamesPN007 »

Thanks for the update John. I was really hoping this funnel would be a "press fit" into the basket based on what I've seen, but there seems to be a millimeter or so of play. I'm still going to measure it later today, as it may be an incorrect size issue. Or maybe the interior diameter of the Vivaldi baskets are closer to 55mm, but I doubt it.

I have the Kitchen Aid funnel mentioned in the thread linked below, which fits snugly into the PF, but it is obviously too big to fit under the doser for purposes of dosing directly into the PF. The OE funnel would be perfect for my purposes.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1548&p=18158&hilit=target#p18158
JamesPN007

Post by JamesPN007 »

So the OE funnel I have measures in at 52mm at the outside bottom edge of the funnel. This measurement was made using a metric ruler, so it could be off by +/- 1mm or so. I don't have access to a digital caliper so cannot get a more precise measurement.

Slo - does your funnel give a press fit into the basket (ie would it stay in if you turn the PF upside down)? You use the funnel with the Vivaldi, so if it does stay in that would be a pretty good indicator mine is the wrong size. Thanks!!
expy98

Post by expy98 »

I also use the OE funnel and mine is just slightly loose in the basket, 1mm of play sounds about right, def not a press fit.
For my use, I wouldn't want mine to be press fit.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

JamesPN007 wrote:Slo - does your funnel give a press fit into the basket (ie would it stay in if you turn the PF upside down)? You use the funnel with the Vivaldi, so if it does stay in that would be a pretty good indicator mine is the wrong size. Thanks!!
I am sorry, I completely missed that question. I know it is late but here is the answer: No it is not a press fit. It would fall should I turn the P/F over.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?

Return to “Accessories”