Rocket Steam Tip Set

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
symbology

Rocket Steam Tip Set

Post by symbology »

I am able to make decent microfoam in small quantities 4-5oz in a 12oz pitcher, but it is tough to be consistent. My wife has trouble in general. So, I decided to look for steam tip options to help me with my small amount of milk, and hopefully help my wife.

Well, my wife has not tried them out yet, but after a few days I can say that the two hole steam tip works out really well. The holes seem to be the same size as the .9mm 4 hole (std) La Spaz tip. However, with just the two holes is allows for more stretch time and more control.

These Rocket tips look just like the OEM La Spaziale tip. I Will play around with the other tips the next time I have to make 2-3 lattes for friends.
Attachments
rocketsteamtips.jpg
rocketsteamtips.jpg (60.22 KiB) Viewed 24538 times
symbology

Re: Rocket Steam Tip Set

Post by symbology »

A question..... does anyone know where to get the o-rings for these things? The Rocket set only came with one o-ring. It should have come with one/tip IMO.
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

I'd like to give that two hole tip a try. I'm using the 0.9 mm 4 hole tip at the moment and just starting to get used to it. But I'm anticipating similar problems with my wife using the machine when I'm out of town. Looks like there are some deals on the 4 pack of tips at the moment.

I was on the phone with a technician at CC today and since had seen your post asked about the o rings. He said best bet is just to go to a good hardware store and look for your closest fit....I'm pretty sure he said they don't try to order them in as a separate part from LS.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Interesting set.

My machine came with a 3 hole tip and I bought a couple of 4 hole tips from CC. I converted one to a 2 hole simply by plugging 2 holes with epoxy.

I still prefer the stock 4 hole, but I can see how the slower tips might be less intimidating, especially for those people moving over from the cheaper 1 hole machines.
symbology

Post by symbology »

While using the 2 hole tip I am able to start out with about 18mm worth of milk in my 12oz pitcher. There is no way to deal with that small quantity with the stock 4 hole tip.
symbology

Post by symbology »

I am real happy with this two hole tip. I just had an awesome Cap comprised of a dbl shot of Redbird, and about 4 oz of steamed milk. I started out with just about 2.5oz of steamed milk and ended up with about 4oz. There is no way I can do that (and get great results) with the stock tip.

If you are working with small quantities of milk, I recommend going with 2 x .9mm holes.

BTW, this was in the 12oz RW pitcher.
Endo

Post by Endo »

symbology wrote:I am real happy with this two hole tip.
Can't say I had much luck with both my 2 hole tips. But that might simply be due to the larger 1.2mm+ hole size that they usually give you. What size holes are on the Rocket 2 hole tip?
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

symbology wrote:... I recommend going with 2 x .9mm holes.
Where did you buy the tip from? I will give it a shot.
symbology

Post by symbology »

The holes on the rocket 2 hole tip look to be the same size as the holes on the newer La Spaz 4 hole tip. If I had to guess, .9mm.

I got it at SCG. The kit was priced at $24, and I think it was 10% off at the time. Not sure if it is still on sale.

The other 3 tips, well two of them at least will have the holes epoxied up and will become "test" tips. I have not decided how I am going to go about creating a "foam knife" type tip yet. :)
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

I just found this Rocket two whole tip on a Canadian site, holes do seem to be positioned closer to the center though:

http://www.espressotec.com/store/pc/Roc ... 2p1039.htm
symbology

Post by symbology »

It seems that the site you linked is currently down.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

It works now.

BTW, do you feel the need to swap back to the 4-hole stock tip when you are steaming double the amount of milk - say for two lattes at a time?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Looks like the old "no-burn" tip with big holes.
symbology

Post by symbology »

GDK wrote:It works now.

BTW, do you feel the need to swap back to the 4-hole stock tip when you are steaming double the amount of milk - say for two lattes at a time?
Not in that there is not enough power. It still does well with 5-6oz in the 12oz pitcher. For a 20 oz pitcher I am sure it would still work, but it would be real slow.

This tip has worked out well for me and my 2-3oz, and for my wife when she is making a 12oz latte for one of her friends.
symbology

Post by symbology »

Endo wrote:Looks like the old "no-burn" tip with big holes.
Yeah, that looks like the old no-burn tip that nobody wanted , or wants.
xxhanxx

Post by xxhanxx »

i just bought the Rocket 4 hole tips... just FYI in case any of you guys are wondering the 2 hole tip looks like .9mm where else the rest of the tips: 3 hole and 2 x 4 hole tips all have bigger holes.. im guessing they are 1.3mm.. I tested out the 3 hole tip and it seems like its more powerful then the original 4 hole .9mm tip my vivaldi came with.
Endo

Post by Endo »

xxhanxx wrote:i just bought the Rocket 4 hole tips... just FYI in case any of you guys are wondering the 2 hole tip looks like .9mm where else the rest of the tips: 3 hole and 2 x 4 hole tips all have bigger holes.. im guessing they are 1.3mm.. I tested out the 3 hole tip and it seems like its more powerful then the original 4 hole .9mm tip my vivaldi came with.
My Vivaldi came with the original 3 hole 1.3mm tip that was first used with the machine. I think the original idea behind this was that the machine was to be used as a commercial machine, so they sized it for 20 oz pitchers (like the commercial LaMarzocco tips). It seems the Rocket tips are a lot like these original tips.

LaSpaziale later changed this to a 4 hole tip with smaller holes (perhaps as directed by Chris Coffee during development of the V2 version). This works much better for smaller 12oz pitchers often used at home for single capps and lattes. But make no mistake, it is still very powerful and requires some practice (but is still my favourite tip).

Some might find the Rocket 2 hole tip useful if they want a slower steaming machine, but if I wanted weak steam, I would have bought a Quickmill Silvano thermoblock machine....for half the price. The large hole tips may be useful for those that want to make Starbucks style lattes (1 oz of burnt espresso and 15 oz of steamed milk). :pukeright:

But for most, I suspect the stock 4 hole tip is the best overall tip (if you can have only one).
MichaelS

Post by MichaelS »

We are still awaiting you instructional video though Endo on how to use the stock tip ;) I seem to recall you mentioning you would be willing to when you get time.

Please? :)

michael
Endo

Post by Endo »

I could, but it would look a lot like my "Making a latte with a Mini Vivaldi" video on YouTube aready. I haven't really changed much since. Still the same stock tip and tapered pitcher.

As long as you are very centered and steady, and let the steam do the work, there is not much else to it. To learn the proper depth and time to sink the tip, listen to the "tsss" sound of the milk stretching in the video, how it goes off and on, and then disappears after about 7 seconds. Try to do the same.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Great tips Endo. I would add one more thing, make sure you can see the milk swirling all the way to the end. If the surface starts looking still while steaming, you need to correct the position or dept to keep milk moving all the time. That is a key to good micro-foam and no cotton balls.
Endo

Post by Endo »

GDK wrote: I would add one more thing, make sure you can see the milk swirling all the way to the end. If the surface starts looking still while steaming, you need to correct the position or dept to keep milk moving all the time. That is a key to good micro-foam and no cotton balls.
Good point. As you say, it's very important to look at the surface of the milk at all times when steaming to ensure good mixing. The velocity of the steam entering the milk "sucks" air from around the wand down under the surface where it is mixed (air does not come from just the steam or you would simply sink the wand and be done with it). If moved too far above the surface, you will get the cottonball type macrofoam. A good clue you have a problem is when you see bubbles forming on the surface of the milk which swirl around and never get mixed in. The surface needs to be as active as possible, but without any swirling bubbles.
MichaelS

Post by MichaelS »

I must have missed that... will go and look now!!!

michael

Return to “Accessories”