19-20-21 are alive and looking at me

Did your new VII work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
scot
Macchiato

19-20-21 are alive and looking at me

Post by scot »

Since they are not blinking I am guessing the temp probe is toast. Is the best way to verify that is the problem to check for continuity between ground and the probe? Or is there some other way to check?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Sorry to say it's toast....those alarms are always right. I'd call the Service Department at Chris' and they'll have you up in no time with a new part. You might want to put a rush delivery on it (you'll pay extra) but it's worth it so you don't have to wait, it's free if you want to wait for normal ground delivery unless you live really close (to Chris' Coffee) it'll arrive in a day or two.
scot
Macchiato

Post by scot »

They saidthey would try to get it out on friday, so it should be here in the next day or two. Looking at the old sensor on the boiler, it looks different from the first edition of the machine. Anyone done this job on the s1v2?
Niko

Post by Niko »

I've changed one of those on my old machine and installed the new style sensor. You have it easy...out with the OLD and in with the NEW. It's much harder to remove the old style probe, especially the sleeve it sits in. I compare it to having a root canal without the numbing solution, it's a pain in the glutes, the neck and any other part of the body that comes to mind.

Removing the old sleeve required the power of a 900lb gorilla :twisted: :!:

Rest easy :wink: , you have it made...... :)
scot
Macchiato

Post by scot »

Ok cool, just looking at the unit it appears pretty easy, but I learned long ago working on race cars, italian motorcyles, and other vehicles, appearances can be deceiving. :)
Niko

Post by Niko »

No, it's pretty easy.
The hardest part is getting a tool in (a very small area) to remove and install the sensor.
Now remember, don't overtighten...there's an O-Ring on the sensor so it just needs enough to complete the seal, in other words don't torque it on like you would with lugs on a wheel.
scot
Macchiato

Post by scot »

Just wanted to update the group.

First, it is not as simple as it sounds to remove the temp sensor. It isnt difficult by any means, but it is packed in there pretty tight so some creative use of tools is required. If you have one of those wrenches that are open in the middle, that would be perfect (because of the wiring.)

The old one had the o-ring in with the threads, so it was just assembled incorrectly. I am guessing the force of the o-ring being jammed in there for so long caused something to crack or malfunction getting water in the sensor.

New one works great, and my temperature never gets into the red zone at all where it used to get barely into it sometimes. If you see your boiler pressure coasting into the red zone, the sensor may have a problem.
Niko

Post by Niko »

:D Nice to hear you're up and running, Scot.
The machine should give you years of trouble-free service now.

Return to “VII In Warranty Problems”