Boiler not working

Did your new VII work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
fxdxt

Boiler not working

Post by fxdxt »

This afternoon I tried to make my afternoon latte with Baileys and found my boiler not working. The red boiler light is blinking on and off, only when in economy mode.
I can change e mode just my taping the boiler switch no 10 second wait. The hot water switch only cycles when in
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

Hi Tom. Sorry to hear about your problem! Let us know what it turns out to be. I came in side the other day and saw some lights blinking on mine while it was supposed to be shut off. I had a terrible feeling something was wrong and I would be without it for a while. Luckily, I couldn't find an error code for the lights that were blinking and I just turned the machine on and off and the problem went away. I hope you get yours fixed quickly!

Ron
fxdxt

Post by fxdxt »

Right now it looks like a bad element. When I get home to night I will measure the resistance across the heating element.
If that looks good then I have to measure the voltage across the element connectors.

Tom
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

How difficult is it to replace the element if it is indeed bad?
Good luck and I hope you find the problem tonight!

Ron
Niko

Post by Niko »

Chas replaced his heat element in the steam boiler a while back. He's got it documented on this site, from what I remember it happened to his old S1. It looks pretty involved, the only time consuming thing I see is the side panels, those are my Kryptonite, I can change just about anything on this machine but I'd rather have a root canal than re-assemble the side panels.
fxdxt

Post by fxdxt »

I measured my heating element and it's wide open.
I will have a few days to take it apart.
It can't be any worse than changing the element in my Lyra.
Scroll half way down for a view.click here

Tom
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's not "that" involved at all, what I meant was that it simply takes a little time to get to the actual part. I know you can do it with no problems Tom. Like I said, the hard part for me is those pesky side panels, I've popped them off several times but I keep forgetting what a pain in the glutes they are.
fxdxt

Post by fxdxt »

Looking forward to doing the side panels tomorrow.
Most of the work is not hard just a big Pain in the Butt.
I just don't have a lot of room where my machine is set up.

Tom
Niko

Post by Niko »

fxdxt wrote:I just don't have a lot of room where my machine is set up.
Tom, this is exactly the reason for my side panel problems.
fxdxt

Post by fxdxt »

I got the VII up and running last Thursday.
The worst thing about taking it apart was the gasket.
I spent 20 min cleaning it out of the recess in the boiler.
Side panels were a piece of cake in comparison.
The second worst thing was drinking mediocre lattes at 3 bucks a pop
picture of it taken apart and back together again

RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

Glad to hear you got it fixed! Looks like you got your room finished too!
Could you see a visible defect in the boiler element? How old was it again?
Hope you are enjoying your morning lattes again.

Ron
Niko

Post by Niko »

Great pics Tom.
The boiler looks nice and clean, as it should considering the machine is only a couple of months old.
You weren't kidding when you mentioned the tight space you had to work in!
fxdxt

Post by fxdxt »

There is no visible damage to the element. It just opened up internally.
It was going on 3 months old.
Just for info purposes the element should read 10 ohms when in good condition.

Tom
Niko

Post by Niko »

fxdxt wrote: Just for info purposes the element should read 10 ohms when in good condition.

Tom
Cool, I'll make sure my Fluke remembers that.

Return to “VII In Warranty Problems”