High steam/hot water boiler pressure (not a failure per se)

Did your new VII work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
Post Reply
scot
Macchiatto
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:46 am

High steam/hot water boiler pressure (not a failure per se)

Post by scot » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:57 am

I noticed that my pressure was getting well into the red zone the other day, and figured that was a bad thing. Tried to bleed off some of the extra pressure and it spit water out at me.

Ran water through till it was dry, then let it all heat back up. All seemed normal, but in a few days it was back in the red zone.

I had a hunch, so I decided to disassemble the top and look. Sure enough there is a water level sensor right there. I pulled on the cable (after shutting it off) and it had almost no tension holding it on the metal rod and popped off. I took my trusty needle nose pliars and squeezed the connector a bit to so it would make a good connection and slid it back on.

My guess is that the connection there was flaky which would cause it to over fill the boiler, raising the boiler pressure. Its been 4 days now and no issues since.

Having over clean (RO) water could also cause this issue, but fortunately I don't have that issue.

Niko

Post by Niko » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:22 am

Well that's not very comforting...
Really sorry to hear that since I got just got a VII last week and my other S1 suffered almost the same fate weeks ago.
That "spitting" at you was a sure sign that the steam boiler was overfilling. How much water came out when you tried to bleed it? Can you please post some pics (if you took any) to show the rest of the folk what you did?

scot
Macchiatto
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:46 am

Post by scot » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:47 pm

I'll see what I can do about pics, but if you take the top off, look down. On the left you will see the boiler, there are two "things" on the top. The one on the left with two wires is a pressure sensor. The one in the back (but on top of the boiler still) has only one wire attached. That is the water level sensor.

I just pulled it off (came off easily) and then squeezed the metal a bit so it had resistance when slipped back on the connector.

It just spit a little bit, nothing major but it also didn't steam much. I don't believe it had overfilled to the point of being full, just enough to get a bit of water pulled up into the steam nozzel.

Niko

Post by Niko » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:40 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the area myself. I just replaced the steam boiler sensor a few weeks ago on my other S1.
It would be nice for others to see what you did in case someone else runs into the same troubles.
Thanks for posting this.

Post Reply

Return to “VII In Warranty Problems”