Did I damage my pump?

Did your new VII work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
jpreiser
Americano

Did I damage my pump?

Post by jpreiser » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:15 pm

I refilled the water bottle feeding the FloJet that supplies the VII. While doing so, some of the water in the dip tube leaked out and air got in. I think air got sucked into the pump while pulling subsequent warming shots. Some steam/air spit out of the group head and the pump made a different sound (cavitating?).

I have dumped some water from the steam boiler causing a refill and have pulled a couple more blank shots in attempts to get all of the air out of the line and brew side. The pump sound is close to it was before this but I think it's still a little different.

Did I mess things up or will it be OK; possibly needing a little more time to get the last air bubbles out?

Next time, if I don't get things plumbed in by then, I'll add a bleed line to get the air out.

Joe
Vivaldi S1V2, Macap MXA
Bunn BTX, CCD, Chemex, Aeropress, Baratza Virtuoso
Gene Cafe

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Did I damage my pump?

Post by chas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 pm

No problem. I will work its way out.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.23 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

JohnB
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by JohnB » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Couldn't you bleed it by just engaging the p/i set to the max 8 seconds a couple times without running the pump?
Speedster/Bosco Sorrento/ K10WBC/K30/Bunnzilla
KvdW/Pullman/RB Tampers
Hario NCA 3 & 5s/Wooden Neck Dripper/Buono
Zassenhaus Knee Mill
Modded Hottop B

jpreiser
Americano

Post by jpreiser » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:41 pm

JohnB wrote:Couldn't you bleed it by just engaging the p/i set to the max 8 seconds a couple times without running the pump?
I hadn't thought of that option. Gave it a try and had no problem stopping things before the pump kicked in. Thanks for the suggestion.

Niko
Caffeinus Reappearus

Post by Niko » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:20 am

Air always gets into the system whenever I change the filters, it works itself out pretty quickly. You don't have anything to worry about.
La Spaz VII (with timer) S5 Steam Arm & Passive Pre-Infusion, Mazzer Mini E Type B, MACAP MC4 Doserless,
MACAP Autotamper, 3 Thor tampers, Espro convex & CoffeeLabs tamper.
Scace Device, Alessi steam pitchers, Motta Steam pitcher, etc..

La Spaz S1 S5 Steam Arm w/ progressive preinfusion, Compak K3 Touch Doserless, Espro flat tamp
Hottop P, Behmor, iRoast2 and Gene Cafe

Return to “VII In Warranty Problems”