Can't pull a shot; water smells and tastes funny

Did you have a bad Day One "Out-of-Box" Experience? Ask about it here then later report back with your final resolution.
maxspivak

Can't pull a shot; water smells and tastes funny

Post by maxspivak »

Hi all,

Just finished installing V2 that arrived yesterday. Unfortunately it's partially DOA.

I started the machine and let it heat up until both temp lights and boiler light were solid. Attached empty portafilter.

Pressing shot buttons doesn't do anything other than flash lights. When pressing single shot button, the green lights flash. When pressing double shot button, the yellow lights flash. The manual says this error condition is for damaged flow meter. It also says it's a non-blocking alarm. Does that mean the machine should still run and produce water through the group? It doesn't. :(

The steam side seems to be working correctly. I did notice, however, that the steam smelled funny. The hot water it dispensed also tasted funny. Can't really place it, but a bit metallic. I did install Chris' filter and purged 4 gallons before hooking the water up.

Any suggestions?

Thx,
Max
StuBaby

Yikes

Post by StuBaby »

Sorry to hear you're having problems buddy. Don't worry, we'll all chip in to help. You are definately in the right place. My karma is "buy the best and you'll get a broken one". Just look at my avatar :shock:

Anyway, I'm surprised you're getting a flowmeter alarm if your steam boiler is filling properly. Did you get the 15A or 20A? What do your gauges read when all lights are solid?

Try turning boiler off once you get solid lights then press single or double button and let us know what happens.

As far as the bad taste, go ahead and disconnect the water inlet to the Spaz and sample some of that water post-filter, microwave it to boiling and smell/taste to see if metallic taste is post-filter or post-boiler.

Good luck and frett not. Though you may not have Spaz Ezpress this weekend, you'll definately have a working machine within the week.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Max,
Really sorry to welcome you under these circumstances but like Stu said, hang in there and you came to the right place.
The water tastes funny on new machines, I purged the boilers on my units when they arrived. The funny smell is normal also, these machines also have that "new" car smell which takes a while to shake off. I'd draw a couple of dozen blanks through your group and then tap out the steam boiler completely if the machine allows it.
As for the malfunctions, will it let you program the shot dose? Maybe if it lets you set the volumetric dosing it'll clear itself out...
worth a try if it's not letting you dose properly.
I'd shoot Chris an email for more suggestions, you'll be surprised how responsive he is anytime (if you bought it from him).
maxspivak

Post by maxspivak »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I'm disappointed it didn't work out of the box. Of course 10+ years in engineering taught me that something being broken is a pretty normal state of affairs. Then you fix it and move on.

At least I'm putting my brand new Macap Stepless to good use -- grinds coffee for a mean french press. :)

Here's what I tried based on your suggestions:

- I got the 15A machine

- When all lights are solid:
- left gauge is in the blue, at 10 o'clock position
- right gauge is in the green, at 2 o'clock

- Tried turning boiler off once solid lights appeared and then pressing a shot button. No water.

- Tried programming shot dose. Machine goes into programming mode correctly, but when you press one of the shot buttons, the error lights flash as before and no water comes out.

Anything else I can try? I tipped the machine on the side during setup when I was hooking up the water line -- that wouldn't hurt it, would it?

Yeah, I bought the machine from Chris. I'll shoot him an email.

Cheers,
Max
Niko

Post by Niko »

Max,
Turning the machine on its sides is not a problem, in fact you're supposed to do that to get the panels off so you can work on it.
Besides contacting Chris, which is most important, I'd turn it on sides again to remove the covers so you can get a good look in the machine. Take a good look everywhere at the wiring and make sure everything looks good, check connections, etc..
Maybe a metal shaving is trapped in one of the valves, I'm no expert at this one but some people have experienced it and reported it on this website. Take a gander through the posts and you should find something on this, maybe it'll give you some insight on what to look for and clean it.
Glad to hear the MACAP grinded some coffee for you.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Max. I had the same alarm show up about two months after I got the machine. The flow meter is located just in front of the steam boiler when you take off the front panel. I had a piece of brass stuck in mine and it didn't stop the water flow but slowed it down considerably. You need a 3mm allen wrench to take off the three screws to check inside. You will find an o ring seal and a plastic vane that measures the water flow. Look for debris stopping the movement of the vane. Hope this helps.
Pete
StuBaby

Post by StuBaby »

One more idea buddy.
Take off the warming rack. Easily done by removing a single screw recessed in the front middle of the tray itself. You may need to use a probe-like object (screw driver will do) and gently pry off the tray.

Now look inside, far right rear for a 15A/20A toggle switch, make sure it's set to 15A, not 20. Let us know what you find.

My thinking is this. If you have a 15A machine, it should default to the brew group element, not the boiler. You give us the impression that both elements are heating up. THAT SHOULD NOT BE IN A 15 AMP UNIT.

I feel good about this one. Another thing to try is to fool around with the economy mode setting and toggle it. Easily done, just hold the Boiler button for 10 seconds until the ECON light comes on, or turns off. Details are in the instructions.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Max, Just curious. Does the pump run when you press either the single or double shot button?
Pete
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

What does the pressure guage on the left read when you push the single or double shot button? The one on the right is the boiler gauge and that sounds right. The one on the left only shows pressure when the pump is running while pulling a shot.
scot
Macchiato

Post by scot »

the left dial also shows the pressure of the water line, so 10 o'clock sounds correct.

I would vote for the "gunk in the flow meter" problem as being the first place I would check.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Same here, I put my money on the clogged flow meter.
I also see the group gauge showing the water pressure even with the machine turned off.

By the way Scot, I didn't find 2 cappuccinos waiting for on the drip tray this morning, I can always wish...
maxspivak

Post by maxspivak »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the kind words. This sounds like a first class community -- I look forward to enjoying espressos with you... (Once I get my LaSpaziale going)

I've exchanged email with Chris. He asked if I can hear the solenoid click when I press either of the brew buttons. I do not hear the solenoid click. This could be the problem. I wonder if it's hard to replace... I'm going to talk to Roger tomorrow. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

To answer other questions:

Pete - I'll take a look at the flow meter. The pump does not run when I press a brew button.

StuBaby - I didn't check 15A setting, but I don't think it's this. The brew group heats up first followed by the boiler. I tried setting it to ECON mode, but no luck.

RGoldman - the pressure gauge on the left doesn't move when I press a brew button. I suspect the solenoid doesn't engage.

Thx guys, I'll keep you posted.

Max
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

maxspivak wrote:I tried setting it to ECON mode, but no luck.

Max
Max, you have to press and hold the Boiler button for at least 10 seconds until the red ECON lamp turns on.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Max,
what's the word?
maxspivak

Post by maxspivak »

Spoke to Jason from Chris Coffee tech team at length today. We're zeroing in on the flow meter. He's sending me parts - the sending unit, impeller, and something else.

Hey, at least I'm getting comfortable inside the machine ;)

Max
maxspivak

Good news!

Post by maxspivak »

Replacing the flow sensor sending unit and impleller fixed the problem and I pulled was able to pull two shots this morning. The first one was a throwaway, but the second was pretty respectable. This machine is *sweet*!

Max
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nice to hear the good news Max.
The second shot was respectable huh? Not bad, not bad, I'm impressed you got something drinkable that fast. Most others suffer for a while longer before they even have drinkable espresso let alone a text-book style shot or the ever elusive god shot.
StuBaby

Post by StuBaby »

Excellent news. Enjoy. :D

Return to “VII Day One Problems”