Ugh - hairline crack in flow meter

Did you have a bad Day One "Out-of-Box" Experience? Ask about it here then later report back with your final resolution.
CaliforniaJed

Ugh - hairline crack in flow meter

Post by CaliforniaJed »

Well, I didn't plan on my first post being this one, but I am still smiling. Long story short -- I plumbed in my machine (VII) and started it up this morning. I noticed water seeping from under the drip tray. I traced the leak to a hairline crack in the flow meter. The picture of the part below is similar to the one on the machine. The crack is in the plate that screws down. On my unit, that plate is black plastic, the screws are 3mm Allen heads, and those prongs are not present - the "brain" simply plugs into a round hole on the top.

Weird problem, but easily detected, and Chris' tech was great walking me through it on the phone. They are sending out a replacement part. (Not sure, now that I think about it, whether they are sending the whole unit or just that plate.)

The leak is tiny -- I was able to pull a couple of (bad) shots. I'm anxious now to get up to speed with the machine. I'll post when I have the leak fixed.

CaliforniaJed
Attachments
flow.jpg
flow.jpg (6.73 KiB) Viewed 17915 times
Endo

Re: Ugh - hairling crack in flow meter

Post by Endo »

Bummer. Probably just another LaSpaziale assembly quality control issue. (Cover tightened too hard). What's with the workers in this plant anyway :?: Too much espresso perhaps?

Here are some photos of the dis-assembled flowmeter on my blog. You may find them helpful.

http://cremina-endo.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... embly.html
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You'd think if this came from the flowmeter vendor already cracked they would have found it during bench testing either at LaSpaz or CCS. I wonder if some water was still in there and froze enroute to CA?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
CaliforniaJed

Post by CaliforniaJed »

chas wrote:You'd think if this came from the flowmeter vendor already cracked they would have found it during bench testing either at LaSpaz or CCS. I wonder if some water was still in there and froze enroute to CA?
I wondered the same thing, Chas. The crack is tiny, such that I went ahead and pulled several (still bad) shots this morning and only had to mop up some water under the drip tray - none had actually made it down under the machine. I am hoping to receive the replacement in the next day or two.
CaliforniaJed

Post by CaliforniaJed »

Endo wrote:Bummer. Probably just another LaSpaziale assembly quality control issue. (Cover tightened too hard). l
I doubt it was from over torquing the screw, based on the location of the leak. The crack appears to be where what I will call the "base" of the plate meets the "pedestal" into which the sensor plugs, if that makes sense. But for the seepage of water, the crack is undetectable to the naked eye -- mine at least.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Whatever the cause, they should be catching these quality issues during a basic leak check. New machine issues really hurt a companies reputation.
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

Lord only knows how many machines LaSpaziale makes, or CCS sells, in a year but incidents like this occurring are fairly rare. However, just for comparison sake, take a look at the Auto manufactures track record regarding their quality control issues :roll:

FYI, the GS3 owner’s manual instructed owners to put a full tablespoon of detergent into the blind basket when chemically backflushing???? No one at La Marzocco caught that error and don’t forget that when the GS3 first came out, there were quite a number of problems that should have been discovered and fixed, pre-production.

The one thing that I absolutely know for certain is that CCS will fix your problem and imho their service department is among the very best in the business.
CaliforniaJed

Post by CaliforniaJed »

Dodger1 wrote:The one thing that I absolutely know for certain is that CCS will fix your problem and imho their service department is among the very best in the business.
Totally agree. They have been nothing short of great thus far. The good news is that the leak is small enough that I am able to use the machine. A small amount of water leaks and eventually migrates to the top side of the bottom of the frame, under the drip tray. I just mop it up after I pull a few shots. I'll be relieved, though, when the part arrives and I can repair it.
CaliforniaJed

Re: Ugh - hairline crack in flow meter GOOD NEWS!

Post by CaliforniaJed »

The part arrived yesterday, and in 20 minutes I completed the install, no more leak!!!

The first pic is the newly installed replacement part. The second is a pic of the part with the crack:
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg (348.48 KiB) Viewed 17816 times
Attachments
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0141.jpg (217.52 KiB) Viewed 17816 times
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Ugh - hairline crack in flow meter

Post by chas »

Looks like you went from one with a plastic shell to one of all metal construction. No more cracks for you!

(Or is is just plastic of a more metallic color?)
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
CaliforniaJed

Re: Ugh - hairline crack in flow meter

Post by CaliforniaJed »

Both are plastic, Chas, but it is a HUGE relief to have the new part installed and no more leak! :-P

Return to “VII Day One Problems”