New Vivaldi II dead two days after arrival...

Did you have a bad Day One "Out-of-Box" Experience? Ask about it here then later report back with your final resolution.
Louis

New Vivaldi II dead two days after arrival...

Post by Louis »

After successfully using my brand new Vivaldi II (with SSR) for two days, I noticed this morning that it turned itself off automatically (power LED flashing, in standby mode). I turned it back on and a few hours later, power is completely lost. No LED, nothing. No way to turn it on.

It is plugged in a 15A, inside switch put on "15A". Timer switch to "Off", as I don't have one yet.

I unmounted all side/top panels and checked all electrical connectors, hoping to find a loose one, due to transport. Everything is OK. There is 120VAC at the fuse output, and the fuse is OK.

I can't figure what else can explain this... The wiring diagram in the Chris' manual indicates that there is a 5A fuse inside the control box but accessing it would require disconnecting most wires and moving the control box out of the frame, something I wouldn't do without getting feedback from my vendor (sent an email earlier this afternoon).

Anyone has any idea what could cause this? What should I check?
JohnB

Re: New Vivaldi II dead two days after arrival...

Post by JohnB »

There is a master fuse located underneath at the rear by where the power cord exits. Could be loose or blown??
Louis

Post by Louis »

JohnB wrote:There is a master fuse located underneath at the rear by where the power cord exits. Could be loose or blown??
First thing I checked... Problem is elsewhere...
Endo

Post by Endo »

Doesn't sound good. Seems you checked all the obvious things. Time to call the retailer.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I agree, even if it turns out to be the fuse on the board something caused it to blow. L/S seems to be having way too many new machine issues recently, hopefully this one will be easily corrected.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Perhaps your machine is miffed with you for posting those naked pictures of her on-line yesterday. :mrgreen:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Sorry to read of your issue Louis.

Sorry to be so blunt but did you verify that it is not the house circuit that is out? I know you probably did but sometime (for me at least) it is the most obvious that gets overlooked.

If you have a voltmeter you could try to check up to where is the voltage nominal and diagnose from there... Just to try to find a loose something maybe. Definitely give the supplier a call.

I also agree that there seem to be a lot of issues but from I hear elsewhere it seem that it is a problem with a lot of other manufacturers. Espresso machine seem to not travel well...
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Louis

Post by Louis »

JohnB wrote:L/S seems to be having way too many new machine issues recently, hopefully this one will be easily corrected.
What makes you say so? Is there a summary of these latest issues with Vivaldis?
Louis

Post by Louis »

chas wrote:Perhaps your machine is miffed with you for posting those naked pictures of her on-line yesterday. :mrgreen:
Maybe... but I would not have chosen a machine so sensitive...

Needless to say, after spending months perusing through HB, CG and this forum, I'm pretty disappointed...
slo wrote:Sorry to be so blunt but did you verify that it is not the house circuit that is out? I know you probably did but sometime (for me at least) it is the most obvious that gets overlooked.

If you have a voltmeter you could try to check up to where is the voltage nominal and diagnose from there... Just to try to find a loose something maybe. Definitely give the supplier a call.

I also agree that there seem to be a lot of issues but from I hear elsewhere it seem that it is a problem with a lot of other manufacturers. Espresso machine seem to not travel well...
The wall outlet is working (Silvia's plug took back its place, along with the Vario). I checked the voltage at the fuse output, inside the machine and it is OK (ie fuse not blown neither bad connexion). Next step would be to check inside the control box...

I'm still waiting to get an email/call from my vendor.

Before making my final decision for the Vivaldi, I also thought that this particular machine was having more issues that others, but many were pump related, which is poorly related to this make only (RPM/FoT). In fact, seing the number of pump issues on the Vivaldi rather confirmed my in buying the Vivaldi over the Duetto, with its pump mounted on top of the motor. My final thought was that this number of issues was more related to the fact that Chris' Coffee sold more than 3000, but I have no idea of the whole market size (3,000 compared to... 10,000? 100,000?...).

I would still like to get feedback from the forum users regarding the susceptibility to problems of the Vivaldi vs other small commercial class machines...
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

If you did decide to check out that 5A glass fuse, you may want to peruse this guide:

s1v2/images/LaSpaziale2008FirmwareUpgradeManual.pdf

This document shows how to completely remove the controller board. However, in order to check out and replace the fuse, you only need to get as far as the photo on page 5. You can see the fuse in this photo though it is partially hidden by the black plastic sleeve over the ribbon cable. It is just above the top orange, rectangular relay in the photo. Those four orange relays control power to the three solenoid valves and the pump. The main power to those four devices all go directly through the 5A fuse as well as the overall power to the controller board.

The power to the boilers is picked off directly from the 20A main fuse. Power for everything else picks off the 5A fuse.
Chas
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Louis wrote:What makes you say so? Is there a summary of these latest issues with Vivaldis?
There have been a number of new machine problem posts from Mini owners over the past year. Yours is one of the first of the "new" S1V2 machines so we'll have to wait & see. The good news is that after the initial aggravation things seem to go smoothly.

As for the board fuse if it is blown what caused it to blow? Under the circumstances I'd let your supplier deal with it if they are local. Have you run continuity on the power cord to check for a bad connection?
Endo

Post by Endo »

It's great to hear from another Montrealer with a Vivaldi but I'm saddened to hear you had so many problems. :-(

I can see how the day one problems can be very discouraging. I was lucky not to have a single problem since day one (knock on wood).

I'd urge you to stick with it though. It really is a great machine, once you get past those initial "out-of-the-box" problems.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Louis:

Did you find out what was wrong with your VII yet?
Chas
Hottop P/B
Louis

Post by Louis »

chas wrote:Louis:

Did you find out what was wrong with your VII yet?
I received from the vendor an acknowledge to my email two day ago but didn't received any news since to see what he wants me to do (return it back to him and get a new one?...). I also received at the beginning of the week only part of the accessories I bought (all already paid for) and a few cheap goodies I wasn't expecting (they were supposed to be replaced with a specific item for free).

I'm starting to wonder if I chose the right vendor... I'll give him some more time but I wouldn't say I am a satisfied consumer...

One way or another, I will post feedback.
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

I can understand how much you can be disappointed. My Mini was dead on arrival. Pump could'nt draw water. Joshua from Espressoplanet agreed to replace it the day after. A few days later I received my new Mini and eveything is great now. I'm pretty sure I did the right choice with that team. I didn't know there was a La Spaziale reseller in Montreal. It could have been natural for me to chose that one since I live in Gatineau. But sincerely, it's a luck I did'nt see it ;-)
If you live in Montreal, it should be easy to go see him and put a little pression on him.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Abnuceals wrote:I didn't know there was a La Spaziale reseller in Montreal. It could have been natural for me to chose that one since I live in Gatineau. But sincerely, it's a luck I did'nt see it ;-)
If you live in Montreal, it should be easy to go see him and put a little pression on him.
I could have bought a S1 in Montréal but probably not the Vivaldi II (the modified version from Chris' Coffee Service, known as the Vivaldi II). Hence, I bought mine online from a Canadian vendor (ie not in Montréal).

I will wait for this to settle down before giving names...
Endo

Post by Endo »

Don't buy a Vivaldi in Montreal. Trust me.
Louis

Post by Louis »

A quick update.

I finally talked to my vendor (Slawek at iDrinkCoffee.com) on Monday of last week and had a new machine shipped to me, which I received last Thursday. He was apparently out of office for a week, which explains the delay.

The new machine has been working flawlessly since then. I bought the timer and I am happy I did so. I’m still waiting for a shipping label to return the other machine, still sitting in its box in my living room. I’m also still missing accessories (Espro tamper, Espro steam pitcher, bottomless portafilter/triple basket, …) (one of which was backordered few weeks ago).

They shipped the machine in a regular cardboard box (which cannot support the weight of the inner La Spaziale box without bending), with Styrofoam peanuts between the two boxes (peanuts which are squeezed flat when put under the weight of the machine). This is inappropriate for a package of this weight. The first box received had a crushed corner (dropped in the driveway by Purolator). The second box received looked better but was still packaged exactly the same way (or almost the same way, they also dumped loose peanuts in the inner box; I found a few dozen of them inside the machine case as I ensured everything was OK after shipping).

I am still very satisfied with the price I paid (they have an official, published, price match policy, trying to match US prices when they can: something quite easier to do now as the CAD is worth more than the USD…).

Communications with the vendor have been… slow, but good. Response time is counted in many days and I often have to send additional emails to get an answer. Once I am able to talk to them, they are accommodating and give good service, but it may require another email reminder to actually get the service.

In the end, they did send me a brand new unit to replace the defective one. Please note that I don’t know if they are simply busier than they usually are, or if this is their usual service practice.

I’ll do my follow up to ensure I get the missing accessories I paid for (still worth more than $200… once upon a time I thought this was the price for a whole espresso machine) and hope than I will get good service if I ever need to use the warranty (2-year)...

On the other hand, I am still waiting for the plumbing order I made to FreshWaterSystems on April 1st. Their website specifically says they have a one-day shipping policy and that they will contact the client in the 24-48 hours after the order is made if anything is backordered. I rather had to send them three successive emails to get feedback a week after the last one and gave them a call to learn that two items were backordered. The order shipped at the beginning of the week and should reach me next week. In the mean time the Vivaldi braided hose is pulling water from a huge water pitcher, for which I meticulously ensure it stays full at all time (I’m eager to get it plumbed-in).
Last edited by Louis on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Glad to read that you got the machine sorted out. It is the most important.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

I purchased my Mini and grinder from Slawek and I would buy again from them. Sometimes response is slow but he takes good care of problems.

George

Return to “VII Day One Problems”