Single Cup Volumentric programming problem

Did you have a bad Day One "Out-of-Box" Experience? Ask about it here then later report back with your final resolution.
tonysbone

Single Cup Volumentric programming problem

Post by tonysbone »

Hi,

I'm a new member and just got my S1 last week. Things were going well the first few days, but I've run into a programming problem.

I'm trying to program the single shot button to dose a few ounces to fill the cups with water to warm them up.

With the machine on, I hold the power button for three seconds until the power light and temp light flash.

I then hit the single cup button to begin the water flow and hit it again to stop when I have the amount of water I want. During this time the 91, 92, and 93 degree buttons are flashing.

I then hit the power button again and the power light switches back to solid.

Note: I don't program the double shot after the single, since it seems to be holding it's volume programming.

The problem: After doing this programming, I hit the single cup button while in run mode, but the water never stops unless I manually hit the single shot button again.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to program the single and double shot buttons one after another to make the programming stick? Is my S1 busted?

Help!
JohnB

Re: Single Cup Volumentric programming problem

Post by JohnB »

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. It isn't necessary to program both volume buttons at the same time or one after the other. If no one else has any ideas I'd give CC a call tomorrow & see what they think.
tonysbone

Post by tonysbone »

Follow up question:

When i finish programming the shot by hitting the shot button, it returns me to the programming mode. The way the manual is written, it's unclear if it's supposed to return you to programming mode or run mode after ending the shot.

Also, the programming doesn't stick for the dual shot button as well.

Programming still works for the water temp and pre-infusion time.

I sent an e-mail to 1st line this evening. I'm interested to see what they say.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Definitely post your final resolution when you get it fixed. A few thousand of these machines have been sold and I think you're the first one to have this issue. However, it sounds like your programming method is correct.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

So this is one of the older S1s that 1st Line sells & not an S1V2 or are they selling the V2 now?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It seems like the problem must either be with the controller board, the flowmeter, or the cabling between the two. There are two basic functions that utilize these "components":

1) The Volumetric Dosing which you are trying to get working.
2) The flow meter alarm noted in the excerpt below from the manual.

Due to the commonality involved with these two features, one interesting test would be to see if the flow meter alarm works properly. Insert your blind basket or rubber disk into the PF and press the one cup button. Within 10 seconds you should see lights 14-15-16 come on as noted below. Then repeat the test with the two cup button and verify that lights 17-18-19 come on within 10 seconds.

If you are using a rubber disk rather than a blind basket be sure that you have a tight seal. This won't be a valid test if the PF is leaking water while you are performing these tests.

Let us know the results.

----------------------------

5.1 Coffee Group Water Dosing System Failure This is a non-blocking alarm. When the flow meter isn't working properly or when the coffee grind is too fine, this is indicated by the turning on of the lights 14-15-16; if you are making one coffee dose, and the lights 17-18-19 if you are making two coffee doses. This alarm is actually useful when back flushing as an indication of when to turn off the pump and allow the 3-way valve to operate.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
tonysbone

Post by tonysbone »

JohnB and Chas

This is a S1V2, They are currently selling them for $100 less than everyone else right now, and shipped with a few extras, and you earn enough points through the purchase to get you about 70% of the way to a bottomless portafilter.

http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_m ... /index.htm

On their recommendation, I checked the wire connection for the flowmeter. I also removed the flowmeter and cleaned it out, although I didn't see any metal particles.

Anyhow, upon plugging it back in and warming it up, it's now stopping the shots as programmed. I'll do a few test shots over the next few days to see if it is truly back to normal.

Thanks for all the advice!
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Same advertised price as CC & he has to buy the V2 through Chris plus CC will price match so I don't see how he could sell it cheaper. Still need a bottomless p/f? I may have one for sale soon.
tonysbone

Post by tonysbone »

True CC will pricematch (although I didn't know that when I ordered)
True even through I bought from 1stline it shipped from CC

I've bought from both, they've both been good companies to work with, and I'll buy through either again (although I wish both companies had a west coast warehouse, shipping always takes forever to Washington) :-(
clumeng
Latte

Post by clumeng »

FYI I bought from CC just before the New Years and they gave me a $100 discount....I called in to place the order with Mary....

Return to “VII Day One Problems”