Steam heater element no longer cuts off at right pressure

Did something go wrong? Ask about it here. Later report and document the resolution here including out of pocket costs for replacement parts.
Niko

Post by Niko » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:25 pm

bbqnut wrote:It is cool to see female S1 users, esp. those willing to dig in and replace stuff!!
Yes!!
chas wrote: I hear you on the covers. I have had the covers of on the S1 and now VII many times. It is rare when I don't drop one of those knurled knobs down inside the machine, skin or burn a knuckle. Of course the latter should never happen if one has the patience to unplug the machine and let it cool first. I don't!
I feel like the guy on "Kung Fu" (TV series from the 70's) every time I work on the machine...I also don't wait for it to cool down (I really think it's a stupid guy thing). What I mean by this is the character in that show burned himself a branding style tattoo on his arms by lifting a boiler with his forearms.

I'm glad it worked out for you, Sherry! I'm your biggest fan :D and please do let us know how it works out for you.
You'll feel a difference in the machine with a different sensor :P

glittermom1

Post by glittermom1 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:38 pm

The sensor works just fine. I am happily enjoying my java again. My husband is happy too. My dad was an electrical engineer and I used to hang out with him at home when he would repair stuff. i also helped him refurbish his wooden sailing boat, an L-16. I guess it paid off.

I have an old La Cremina in the basement half taken apart. I need to order some new gaskets and work on it this winter. :twisted:

BobY
Latte
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Toronto

Post by BobY » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:22 pm

Add one more to the list of S1 owners with this problem. I've owned mine since December '05, and keep it turned on 24/7. I've got a VII-style sensor on order.

This site is the greatest! After seeing the steam rising from my S1, I turned the power off and came straight to this site, and in five seconds was reading through the 100 postings. My thanks to everyone on this site.

Bob

Niko

Post by Niko » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Please report back when it's fixed, Bob.
It's nice to read about another rescued S1 :wink:

BobY
Latte
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Toronto

Post by BobY » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:31 pm

My new sensor is installed, and so far the machine is working perfectly. I didn't get too much of drop in the steam boiler pressure... it's still around 1.35 or 1.4 bar, which might be sllightly below where it was with the old style sensor.

I didn't have any trouble removing the old tube from the boiler... in fact, it seemed downright loose! Maybe that was part of the problem.

Thanks to all for the great information.

Niko

Post by Niko » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Nice!
I bet the steam performance improved as well :wink:

Locked

Return to “S1 Operational Problems”