Removing Side Panels

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
dsherman

Removing Side Panels

Post by dsherman »

Any suggestions and/or problems removing the side panels? I plan on painting my panels and drip tray to custom match my kitchen decor.

Thanks...Derek
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Going to paint some saguaros and cactus wrens on the side panels? Maybe you should buy those grey side panels from Rhinoevans so if you hate how it turns out you still have your black ones to put back on.

Steps to remove side panels:
  • Let unit cool down
    Remove screw from warming tray and remove tray
    Remove drip tray
    Slightly loosen the four bottom screws
    Now you can access the four thumbscrews that hold on the side and pop them off.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

Chas -

Smart minds think alike ;-) I've already made an offer for the Grey Side Panels!

- D
Barry

Post by Barry »

Removing them is easy...it is getting them back on that is a pain! Aligning the back panel, the front panel, and getting your hand inside to tighten the screws is a challenge, at least for my fat hands.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

That reminds me of one additional important step. You can do this as part of the removal process but it's not absolutely necessary. However, it is definitely necessary to easy the side panel reinstallation process.

Once you remove the warming tray, you will see four screws just under the panel - one in each corner. The front pair attach the front control panel and the rear pair attach the rear cover. By loosening these a turn or so you will get some play in the control panel and in the rear panel. This allows you to more easily align the metal edges of those features with the slots they go into in the side panels.

Once you get them properly aligned you can rettach and tighten the side panels. The last step before reinserted the warming tray is to retighten the four screws. This will snug every thing up tight and make the S1 even quieter.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm awaiting a reply on my offer for the Grey Side Panels and will follow your instructions when I start the removal process.

Thanks, again, and I'll post pictures when I'm fiinshed.

...Derek
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

Just finished painting my side panels Ferrari red (actually Roasted Red Pepper). I knew they came out well when my Italian wife said, "Looks very Italian"!

Removing and replacing the panels was not tha big of a deal - although I wouldn't want to do it everyday. It was worth it jus to get a good look inside this machine. You can see the quality of craftsmanship.

- Derek

PS - Is there anyway to insert an image without uploading to a website? I'll post pictures if anyone's interested.
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

Pictures, yes! Maybe on the pride page? And congrats!
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

What kind of paint did you use??
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

The paint is Krylon Fusion for Plastic. It went on smoothly, dried quickly and it claims to be chip-proof in 7 days.

Here's a link to a photo:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espres ... 118#136118

- Derek

Return to “Tips & Tricks”