removing portafilter basket

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Ok, since I didn't see any other posts, maybe it is just me. I find it incredibly difficult to remove the double basket from the portafilter. Once it starts it isn't to bad, however, getting it started is extremely difficult....anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

That's the way it is. I even tried pulling the catch wire out of the groove and bending it so that it doesn't stick out as far. It only helped a little. If you take it out completey, then the PF isn't held in place at all.

Now that I've gone crotchless, it's pretty easy since you can press your thumbs against the bottom and pop it out. Otherwise, it takes a fair amount of effort with a wide blade screwdriver.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

The La Spaziale PF springs are very thick and stiff, which leads to the difficulty of removing the basket. They are also the same size/shape as the La Marzocco springs, so they are interchangeable. The LM springs are much more flexible, so the basket are pretty easy to remove, very easy to remove with the bottomless PF. Other springs should work as well, but the LM's are the only one's I have on hand.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Is this just the stock size LM that fits their 58mm baskets? Do you have a recommended source? I'm guessing a bunch of us might like to try this mod. Those LaSpaz springs are a real pain in the @$$!

If these turn out to be truly wonderful I may have to chew on Chris' ear to see if LaSpaz will make a design change and/or if Chris will stock some decent replacements?
Chas
Hottop P/B
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

Yes, they are the standard 58mm PF springs. I had a few spares on-hand from my bottomless LM and was pleasantly surpised to find them to be pretty much identical to the S1 springs, except springy :)

They can be found at EPNW

http://espressoparts.com/c=GsSL8iHNgFHt ... image.y=20
The part # is F_353
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I guess I'd better shop around on the EPNW site for other things I need or else I'll be paying 3x more for shipping than I will for the part! :shock:
Chas
Hottop P/B
barjohn

Post by barjohn »

I just took the springs out and use the PF without any springs. I fill the baskets outside of the PF and when I am done I dump them into the sink and knock the pucks out quite easily without the big mess. So far it works well and tamping into the basket outside of the PF makes it easy since the bottoms are flat.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I tried going springless many months ago, perhaps it was your recommendation. I didn't like it personally.

I just received the new PF springs from EPNW and the result is superb. The basket still stays in place just fine but it's easy to grab and pop right out.

The difference is that the spring wire is a lighter gauge. The new one is about the same as a regular paperclip. The old one is about the same gauge wire as a large paperclip. Big difference!
Chas
Hottop P/B
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

Glad my first tip was a good one :) I did also want to say thanks for the great info in this forum and on the site. Both helped to learn more and get excited about the machine, the pictures of the inside of the machine alone were great. I also used the instructions to adjust the pump pressure - from 8.7 to 8.5 ;) Thanks again, I look forward to sharing more when I have had some more time with the S1.
JP

Post by JP »

Hello, first post here and I hope this tip helps others, as I have already gained much good information here as I figure out my new machine.

I just recently received my new Spaz, and found the spring retainers to be extremely difficult, way too tight. I practically needed a hammer to install my filter baskets and then to remove them I needed to take the portafilters into my workshop and pry them out using multiple screwdrivers trying to be careful not to jab a screwdriver through my hand.

I tried removing the retainers and quickly realized I liked the filters being held in place better. So I took my retainer springs and spent about 5 minutes with a pair of needle nose pliers carefully re-bending the springs into a rounder shape by both flattening the sharp points and rounding the flat sections. I tweaked and test fitted my springs until the filter baskets eventually dropped in with ease and pull out easily with two fingers. yet it doesn't fall out on it's own. It now has just enough tension to hold the filter from falling out when i don't want it to. I can even spin my filter basket with my finger which makes even distribution while dosing much easier.

I highly recommend trying this mod to your existing PF springs, before you order new springs.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Wow!
Talk about reviving an old thread.
You literally brought this one up from the dead :lol:

Anyways, welcome to the S1 Cafe! :compress: :cheers: :headbang: :occasion9:
Nice to have you join us and especially with a nice tip from your 1st post :wink:

Funny thing is that this isn't the only thread discussing those damn springs, it keeps popping up into discussions here and there. Nice to see someone observant enough to post a different approach.
Thanks again :thumbleft:
zoey

Post by zoey »

Within 1 hour of receiving my new machine I did the same thing to my springs.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I only use the bottomless p/f & never remove the basket so it hasn't been an issue.
gsscott

Basket removal

Post by gsscott »

The last time I removed mine I had a typical hard time until I set the portafilter upside down on a plastic or rubber mat, put a screwdriver to the edge of the basket, then pulled the portafilter handle up away from the basket. This gave me better leverage to get the basket ridge up over the spring. Also the screwdriver doesn't have to move, just hold down the lip of the basket to the counter.
JP

Post by JP »

I just got my bottomless PF and .9 tip from CC last night. Again I couldn't get the Filter out for the life of me. With both thumbs pushing as hard as I could it wouldn't even budge. Even with screwdrivers it took me a while to get it out.

As soon as it was out I fixed the spring so now it snaps in and out with ease.
JohnB wrote:I only use the bottomless p/f & never remove the basket so it hasn't been an issue.
Maybe I'm A.R. but I prefer to remove the filter each time I rinse it, even the bottomless.

I also find I like much better to dose and tamp with the filter out of the PF, and drop it in the hot PF when ready.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

JP wrote:
Maybe I'm A.R. but I prefer to remove the filter each time I rinse it, even the bottomless.

I also find I like much better to dose and tamp with the filter out of the PF, and drop it in the hot PF when ready.
Rinsing it in or out of the bottomless p/f accomplishes the same thing as its all exposed. I filled the basket out of the p/f for awhile but tired of it & find I prefer just dosing into the p/f now. Whichever you enjoy doing is the way to go.
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

I'm with JohnB. I just use a bottomless. If I have to pop out the basket - no problem just a quick push from the bottom. I find dosing into a bottomless real easy because you can move the pf around as your dosing to get an even fill. I tamp on an old hockey puck which is just a perfect size for the pf.

Cheers

Ian
jiporter

Re: removing portafilter basket

Post by jiporter »

I too have a new S1 and find removing the basket from the portafilter impossible. I'm afraid less for my nails than about scratching the hardware. I've been told by Chris Coffee that a flat screwdriver will eventually work. Is there a way to avoid scratching/damaging the things, or is that inevitable? If inevitable, is it essential ever to remove the basket or can I just punt and leave it in forever? thx
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Since you have posted this at the top of an old thread about the issue, you already have access to some solutions.

Check this thread for some of the same and other solutions:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2024&hilit=portafilter+spring

BTW: The Espresso Parts link in my earlier e-mail to a replacement light duty wire PF spring has changed. It's now here:
https://www.espressoparts.com/portafilter-spring

You definitely don't want to leave the basket in and never clean it. Not only will a lot of coffee oils build up over time on the bottom of the baskets and the inside of the PF, but they will eventually eat the chrome off the inside of your portafilter.
Chas
Hottop P/B
jiporter

Post by jiporter »

OK, many thanks.: good to know I need to take the basket off to clean it (as I would have guessed). But I don't want to replace the spring; would prefer to use what I have. My question remains: if you take a flathead screwdriver to the basket, are you risking gouging the chrome? And is there a way to reduce that risk (a different tool, perhaps)? Many thanks, JIP
jiporter

Post by jiporter »

One more thing:is there a picture showing the spring on the inside so I can know what I am getting into? I haven't seen any views of this with the basket removed.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

If you use the tip described by Chas you can reduce the friction created by the basket such that no tool is required to pull out the basket.
Vivaldi PF spring modification..jpg
Vivaldi PF spring modification..jpg (346.88 KiB) Viewed 28135 times
I have circled the 3 bends that you need to do. Bend as much or as little as you want to get the right retention force you want.
Last edited by slo on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
jiporter

Post by jiporter »

Thanks again. I managed to pop out the basket with very little trouble today. Flathead screwdriver placed on the flanges of the porta filter gave me all the traction I needed when I turned the blade to vertical: it nudged up on one side, then the other, then came right off. Maybe they changed the tension on the springs in the 2015 version (the one I bought). Looks like the cleaning I did even with the basket installed (using Caffiza) kept it clean. But now I know I can remove it when I need to.
Lav
Macchiato

Post by Lav »

slo wrote:I have circled the 3 bend that you need to do. Bend as much or as little as you want to get the right retention force you want.
Thanks slo, very helpful - I will do that mod to ease out my ridged IMS baskets. I used to have non-ridged baskets from VST for my former E61 handle, but IMS only make non-ridged for their tripple basket...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Steffen

| La Spaziale Vivaldi II + myTimer mod |​ Mahlkönig PEAK and EK43Short | Aillio Bullet R1 roaster| Acaia Lunar scale | ​AeroPress, Bialetti Venus |
jfrescki
God Shot

Post by jfrescki »

Great tip. I just did this myself and although the basket is still firm, I can pull it out with my fingers now.
John

Mini Vivaldi, EPC-8, SJ, Steel Burr Vario
Behmor, Modded Poppery
Coffee Stuff

Return to “Tips & Tricks”