Adjusting temp - problem

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
okaychatt

Adjusting temp - problem

Post by okaychatt »

I am obviously doing something wrong, even though I am following the step by step fine tem adjustment guide from the manual. Or at least I think I am.

I hit the "On" button and hold it until the Standby light comes on.

I press and release the hot water button until the coarse temp is set (95 C).

I lock in the coarse temp.

I had previously adjusted the temp to 94 C successfully several months ago.

I've been fiddling with it, so I have no idea where I'm at. The light patterns don't seem to match anything on the Cheat Guide.

However, my main issue is that when I'm trying to do a fine temp adjustment, I get water from the two cup and one cup buttons.

WHAT am I doing wrong?!
cappadoc

Post by cappadoc »

Are you turning off the machine and holding the 2 cup button to enter fine temp mode?

Jeff
BillK

Post by BillK »

Why did you say you are following the step-by-step procedure for making a fine temp adjustment, then describe to us the procedure for doing a coarse temp adjustment? Did you intend to do that?

What you are doing, I think, is hozing up your volumetric dosing adjustments for both the single and double cup buttons and, if so, you are going to have to set them again.

If you want to make a fine temperature adjustment, you start with the machine on and turn it to standby mode by bumping the on/off switch, just for a fraction of a second. Do not hold it down. Then you want to hold down the two cup button for several seconds, long enough for the two amber lights over it to come on. Then you make your fine temperate adjustment with either of the buttons adjacent to the two cup button.
okaychatt

Post by okaychatt »

BillK wrote:Why did you say you are following the step-by-step procedure for making a fine temp adjustment, then describe to us the procedure for doing a coarse temp adjustment? Did you intend to do that?

What you are doing, I think, is hozing up your volumetric dosing adjustments for both the single and double cup buttons and, if so, you are going to have to set them again.

If you want to make a fine temperature adjustment, you start with the machine on and turn it to standby mode by bumping the on/off switch, just for a fraction of a second. Do not hold it down. Then you want to hold down the two cup button for several seconds, long enough for the two amber lights over it to come on. Then you make your fine temperate adjustment with either of the buttons adjacent to the two cup button.
Hi Bill. I did the coarse adjustment first, then went to fine temp adjustment.

I think what I've been doing incorrectly is holding the Standby button for more than a fraction of a second. That's why I kept getting water from the one cup and two cup buttons.

cappadoc - When you write, "Are you turning off the machine and holding the 2 cup button to enter fine temp mode?", do you mean to briefly hold the On/Off button? If so, I think that's what I've been doing wrong. I've been holding it too long.

I'll give this another go and let you all know.

Thanks for the prompt responses.
BillK

Post by BillK »

Good, you are on the right track. Be sure that once you have set the fine temperature you properly finish the sequence by momentarily pressing the two cup button, which causes the two amber lights, along with any of the fine temp adjustment blinking lights, to go dark. This causes your machine to exit the fine temp adjustment process. Then turn the machine back on by holding down the on/off switch.

It is hard for me to think of any grumbles on this machine. But what you are going through is clear indication that the method they provide for changing settings is not intuitive and could stand to be improved.
okaychatt

Post by okaychatt »

BillK wrote:It is hard for me to think of any grumbles on this machine. But what you are going through is clear indication that the method they provide for changing settings is not intuitive and could stand to be improved.
It's my one and only grumble. Changing temp isn't difficult once you understand to momentarily press to get into the temp adjustment mode.

I would like to see two things:

1) a simple way to increase/decrease temp

2) if the S1 manufacturers keep temp adjustment the way it is, then I'd at least like to see an easy way to get back to zero offset.

I'm tired of comparing lights on to the cheat chart.

However, I don't often change temps, but now that I know how, I'm going to start playing with it more. That will make me a more user friendly companion for Vivaldi.

I love the S1's ease of daily use to pour great shots. The steaming is endless and powerful. It's plumbed in. Temp control. Volumetric dosing. The informed, friendly, and helpful S1 boards. What's not to love?

And now, back to great, easy espresso.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

okaychatt wrote: I'm tired of comparing lights on to the cheat chart.
Kay, when you were having troubles with this before posting here, were you using either the magnetic cheat sheet or the S1 Manual I have posted on the main S1 site:

http://www.rimpo.org/s1/

If so and if you can recommend any wording changes that would have made the procedure more understandable, let me know and I'll update the documentation.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
okaychatt

Post by okaychatt »

admin wrote:
okaychatt wrote: I'm tired of comparing lights on to the cheat chart.
Kay, when you were having troubles with this before posting here, were you using either the magnetic cheat sheet or the S1 Manual I have posted on the main S1 site:

http://www.rimpo.org/s1/

If so and if you can recommend any wording changes that would have made the procedure more understandable, let me know and I'll update the documentation.
Hi Chas. Here's my analysis of how I misinterpreted the manual's directions.

My main error was that I didn't realize that the length of time one presses the On/Standby button makes a difference in how the S1 works.

Perhaps an additional sentence on p.5 under 3.42 (Fine Tempertaure Adjustment Mode) would help.

ie: "Entering fine temperature adjustment requires only a momentary push of the On/Standby button. This is different from the three second push when entering coarse temperature adjustment."

I think that would have helped me.

When I referred to being tired of comparing lights, I was mainly bemoaning the non-intuitive nature of temp adjusment.

The light chart is helpful once one understands that the light patterns depend on which coarse temp one is starting from. I figured it out after a brief study, but a sentence that cautions the user to know what base temp she's starting from might help.

ie: "The chart shows light patterns from three different coarse temp adjustments. For example, both the 87 degrees and and 92 degrees show three green lights and two yellow lights lit up.

The difference in temp depends on what coarse temperature you are starting from.

If the coarse temp is set at 90 degrees and three green, two yellow lights are lit, your temp will be 87 degrees.

However, if the coarse temp is set at 95 degrees and three green, two yellow lights are lit, your temp will be 92."

I know that information is self evident from the chart, but I had to read through things and view the chart several times before my "DOH!" light lit up.

I think that having the written in addition to the chart would have made things easier for me to understand the first time through.

But then, I'm not known for my mechanical ability. HA!

I would love to have a master reset button to zero offset., but I'm a lazy sort of soul. :-) I had to read that explanation several times in Dan Kehn's detailed review of the S1 for it to make any sense.

I will say that once the procedure is learned, both coarse and fine temp adjustment are a piece of cake.

And if it weren't for your manual, charts, and forum, I'd have thrown in the towel long ago.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”