Cup Tray Upgrade Retrofit?

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
Endo

Cup Tray Upgrade Retrofit?

Post by Endo »

While I was asking about the SSR, I also asked about the new cup tray.

It seems the new stainless inner cup side panels mount using the same screws that hold on the newer style plastic outer side panels. In other words, it won't work on older machines which didn't have these top screws. These inner side panels cost $31.50 for the set (both) and you can see them installed in this photo if you look closely
Side Panel Mounting Bolts
Side Panel Mounting Bolts
Capture.JPG (69.41 KiB) Viewed 11594 times
Also, the new top cover is slightly wider than before, so it will not work with the old plastic guard in place. But if you want it, the cost is $41.50.

I suppose the old narrower top would work with the new inner sides, but there would be a small gap that I suppose would not be much bigger than 1/4". Seems OK to me since no cup could fall through that.
Endo

Re: Cup Tray Upgrade Retrofit?

Post by Endo »

So if you want to install ONLY the new SS inner sides and NOT the new cover, here's the size of the gaps we're talking about (courtesy of CC):
Old cover with new SS cup sides
Old cover with new SS cup sides
Picture 029 (2)A.jpg (44.16 KiB) Viewed 11569 times
And as a reminder, here's what both the new sides AND top look like (from Louis):
New sides and top
New sides and top
IMG_2640.jpg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 11569 times
Not much difference gap it seems.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Endo wrote:Not much difference gap it seems.
Front to back, there is no play. From side to side, there is a very small gap, even with the side panels pushed in as far as they go.

I've never seen myself the old version with plastic "rails" so I can't confirm if the gap is bigger or not. I could measure the top panel if that is useful.
Bitches_Brew

Post by Bitches_Brew »

i like the plastic guard. IMO it looks naked without it.....like he missing his hat :lol:
Endo

Post by Endo »

Yeah. I don't mind the look of the plastic tray either. (I won't be upgrading).

I assume they got rid of it only because they would often break during shipping.
BIGBERTHA

Post by BIGBERTHA »

Ok so I've read the original post a few times now and I'm still confused. Can I upgrade to the new side guards and new cup warming tray? Pics of my config below:

Endo

Post by Endo »

I'm pretty sure it would work since you have the newer side panels that are mounted to the top frame with screws.

Jason said the new cover is a bit wider, but I don't see a problem since there is a pretty big edge gap.

Check with Jason if you want to be sure.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Note that you will need the newer top panel/cup warmer panel and also the two stainless/chromed plates that are placed vertically at each end (held in place with the top screws holding the side panels), blocking the access to the inside of the plastic side panels.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”