How much water does a coffee puck absorb?

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
HooHaw

How much water does a coffee puck absorb?

Post by HooHaw »

In setting the auto dosage, how much water will the puck absorb? I've checked the manual, tried searching this site, and re-read Dan Kehn's review but couldn't find any hint.
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

This is just a very empirical value.

Set the dosage while you pull a real shot with coffee and use shot glasses to measure the coffee volume (I believe that's what Dan also writes in his manual).
If you want to know the water debit retained in the coffee puck, I would (afterwards) pull a shot into your shotglasses without coffee; the difference to the amount in your shot glass with coffee is the amount that the puck absorbs.
There's no exact a-priori solution to your question, since it depends on basket size, coffee dosage, tamp pressure, grind, coffee.

Wolfgang
HooHaw

Post by HooHaw »

Hmmm... I guess I'll try Dan Kehn's suggestion of setting 3oz and ending the pull when the shot blondes.

Thanks.
BillK

Post by BillK »

HooHaw wrote:Hmmm... I guess I'll try Dan Kehn's suggestion of setting 3oz and ending the pull when the shot blondes.

Thanks.
If I understand what you are attempting to do, you are making it too hard, Hoohaw. All you have to do is follow the instruction manual for setting-up your auto dosing, per Wolfgang's suggestion, and everything will come out in the wash and you won't have to be concerned about how much water the puck absorbs.
Barry

Re: How much water does a coffee puck absorb?

Post by Barry »

HooHaw wrote:In setting the auto dosage, how much water will the puck absorb? I've checked the manual, tried searching this site, and re-read Dan Kehn's review but couldn't find any hint.
Although I agree that you should set the shot based on your own machine, I would estimate a typical double puck tamped to 30 pounds absorbs approximately 1/2 oz.
HooHaw

Post by HooHaw »

Thanks for the help. :D

Now for a question on grinders, on another thread.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”