Metal Drip Tray Mod

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
Endo

Metal Drip Tray Mod

Post by Endo »

Just cosmetic.....but does it look cool or what!
Metal Drip Tray
Metal Drip Tray
IMG_0826 (480x320).jpg (54.62 KiB) Viewed 60997 times
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Metal Drip Tray Mod

Post by chas »

It looks nice. Did you really mod it somehow or just Photoshop the picture?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

No photoshop. Just dryer duct tape added and cut out around the badge. I just wanted to see how it looked.

It would be SO easy for La Spaziale or Chris Coffee to add a nicer looking stainless badge on the front of the drip tray to match the stainless on the top and front of the machine.

I actually like the look of the plastic side covers. It's the front of the drip tray that makes it look cheap and cosmetically unbalanced
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

How about that peel & stick stainless overlay they sell for refridgerators, stoves, ect?
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:How about that peel & stick stainless overlay they sell for refridgerators, stoves, ect?
I was thinking about that too. Only problem is, all I can seem to find is matted brushed stainless and not the shiny type.. I'll need to search around some more.

Ultimately, if they could combine a mirrored stainless accent in the drip tray that was both cosmetic to match the top but also functional (to look at bottomless pours), that would be the best. I'm just not sure the angle is right to accomplish both.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

That would be ideal but as you say the angle of the cover wouldn't reflect the p'f bottom. Good luck finding a polished stainless peel & stick overlay, I've never seen one. You could look for a "chrome" overlay but they usually look kind of tacky/cheap.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote: You could look for a "chrome" overlay but they usually look kind of tacky/cheap.
Think so? I thought maybe a formed chrome piece of sheet metal with the embossed "Vivaldi" sticker in the middle might look nice. It could be sold seperately and stuck in place with double sided tape.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote:
Think so? I thought maybe a formed chrome piece of sheet metal with the embossed "Vivaldi" sticker in the middle might look nice. It could be sold seperately and stuck in place with double sided tape.
A real chromed piece of sheet metal would be fine, I was talking about the fake chrome stuff that comes on rolls.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I think it looks pretty nice.
I wish there was more panel choices but it gets expensive really fast.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Nice idea, Endo. And it would make more visual sense of side panels other than black too.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I talked to Chris earlier this week about the future of the VII. I doubt there is a Fahrenheit or fraction Celsius mode coming. But he is contemplating something to do with optional side panels. No time frame mentioned, however.
Chas
Hottop P/B
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

between the two, i would much rather have more/better temperature control than new side panels 8)
Endo

Post by Endo »

As you know from other posts, I could care less about better temperature resolution, but I wouldn't mind having a nice, blue LCD front panel with a built in timer function that I could swap in place of the one that's there! It would make it look so more modern in my kitchen and avoid haing to buy that silly overpriced fob timer that doesn't fit anywhere on the machine. Add a sigificant figure to the deg C scale if you like.....as long as it's zero. :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure about the chrome side panels. I think it would be "over-the-top" in terms of chrome and would make the ugly black drip tray stand out even more. If I wanted all chrome, I would get a Duetto. I'd be happy with simply a new drip tray that drained better with the optional drain kit and had a chrome front on it to better match the top of the machine.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

michael wrote:between the two, i would much rather have more/better temperature control than new side panels 8)
If Chris came and asks me (like this would happen! :mrgreen: ) certainly would request the side panels...At least these would be within my sensory capabilities... Sorry Micheal! now you know where I stand on the °F debate.

I do not know if indeed all chromed side panels would not be a little over the top. I would rather see only some accent in chrome to match the center sections. I personnally like the flat black and chrome/stainless combination.

Hey! I love my Vivaldi just the way it is!
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Endo

Post by Endo »

I wonder if Chris reads this forum? You would think he would participate occasionally since it is his #1 selling machine. After all, I've seen him post on CoffeeGeek before.

Maybe he doesn't want to get involved in the 1 deg F debate! :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The way it works is you sell your Vivaldi & move up to a GS3. Then you get the pretty blue display, better temp control, metal drip tray & "different" side panels. Why would Chris want to kill off the upgrade $$ by giving you what you want on the Vivaldi?
Endo

Post by Endo »

The GS3 is $6500 CAN. That's $4500 more than my Vivaldi. That's pretty expensive for some coated side panels and a blue light.

Heck, I'm so cheap I used my wife's Kindle LED booklight to give it that "aquarium look" that's so popular these days. :lol:
Kindle LED
Kindle LED
IMG_0832 (480x400).jpg (68.1 KiB) Viewed 60891 times
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

$6500 is the price you will see on most U.S. websites for the Auto or Paddle but a phone call will quickly shave $1000 off that price. At least that was the case at one of the more popular U.S. dealers when I spoke with them not too long ago.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

John, I concur. I don't mind buying parts and small items directly off a website, but to save big bucks when purchasing a grinder or an espresso machine, you should always call to get the best price. Never believe that the Internet prices are firm on those items.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:Why would Chris want to kill off the upgrade $$ by giving you what you want on the Vivaldi?
I look at it differently.

I heard a while ago that Chris has sold over 3000 Vivaldis. With the Mini now out and outselling the S1, who knows what number they're up to now.

If he's able to hit on a few really popular Vivaldi upgrades (like the simple drip tray mod) with a sizable profit margin, he'll make WAY more than he'll ever get selling a couple of GS3s a month.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote:I talked to Chris earlier this week about the future of the VII. I doubt there is a Fahrenheit or fraction Celsius mode coming. But he is contemplating something to do with optional side panels. No time frame mentioned, however.
That makes sense as anyone that really wants 1*F in this price range can buy the Duetto 2, which he also sells. If the Duetto was a 1st Line exclusive then I'd have to think that Chris would be more interested in a 1*F upgrade for the Vivaldi. It's pretty obvious from the continued popularity of HX machines & the general response on this as well as other forums that most buyers don't feel they need it.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Bummer that finer temp control isn't in the planned future.. But I have to say Im not surprised, nor disappointed.

Wheres the fun if you dont have that lingering thought in the back of your head, that you ignore to the best of your ability, that says no other words besides, "upgrade... upgrade... upgrade". Oh, right.. The fun is in the coffee..... :blackeye:

As to side panels.. I dont think I would want metal side panels. If you asked me before I owned a VII, I would have said yes, w/o a doubt. But, after owning it, and not yet having to clean the panels, ONCE.. No way I want those dirt magnets back. On my Anita, it got the point where I would clean it every other backflush, and just learn to deal. The front wall would get so dirty, splases from the discharge, purging the steam arm, spritzies... It never ended. It DID clean up beautifully, and for the most part, was easy enough.. It was those spaces behind the group and the lever, and those weird angles on the group itself that were a royal pain. Plus, you cant just wipe it all down, because its so hot, any wetness that isn't immediately polished, leaves friggen streaks. NO WAY I want that back. ONLY cleaning Ive had to do, is every few days, take a microfiber cloth to the front, where the control panel is. Oh, and Ive had to wipe some dust off of the top of the side panels, where the meet the cup tray "wall" once.

BUT. I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE a pair of the grey side panels. IMO, the grey looks SO AWESOME. And I realize Im the minority here, most people think it's gross. But I love it.. there is two good pics over on CoffeeSnobs.au, and they just look superb. When I bought the VII, that was my first thing I wanted to buy. But then I found out the price, and decided that if I want it bad enough, Ill paint it for $20 bucks, and take the $180 leftover and treat myself to some auction lots or COE coffees. I was SHOCKED when Chris told me $200 for the pair.

If anyone here reads this, owning a grey Vivaldi, and wants my black panels.. they are YOURS.(as long as I get your grey panels!)
Endo

Post by Endo »

Several attempts with the "faux stainless" tape, but still can't quite get the drip tray quite right. :evil:

I'd prefer to keep the plastic tray (since I think it's the best material choice), but I'd love to have a big, polished stainless badge to match the top panel.

Has anyone with polish stainless sheet metal skills attempted anything like this?
Faux Stainless Tray Badge
Faux Stainless Tray Badge
2012-01-07 003 (500x345).jpg (123.61 KiB) Viewed 60454 times
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Actually, i am in the process of building an all stainless self draining drip tray .:) And i am building it so all liquids drain into the front center of the tray. :shock: I know its a crazy concept,completely out there :grin:
It is 1/8" 304 brushed stainless ,not the shiny stuff that looks like chrome. The tray should be done this weekend.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Just cannot wait to see it !
I think that all of Endo's teaser pictures finally convinced me!

oton

Post by oton »

In the end, all you want a "shiny metal box" :twisted:

Better be preparared with a bunch of rags & polish..
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Sure! At least we do not sell our soul to the Shiny Duetto devil! :twisted:

Endo

Post by Endo »

slo wrote:Sure! At least we do not sell our soul to the Shiny Duetto devil! :twisted:
:lol: :lol:
oton wrote:Better be preparared with a bunch of rags & polish..
Wiping the polished stainless around steam lever and buttons is the only cleaning pain for me on the S1 (which is nothing compared to a Duetto I'm sure). Wiping the featureless front of a stainless drip tray should take no time at all. (But as I say, I would defintiely keep the inside black plastic. Otherwise you'll notice every drip that falls and be forced to clean much more often).
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

well. here it is . I have not installed my drain yet, but thats the easy part. Making this tray was a huge PITA.The bottom is angled towards the front, and sides are angled toward center so all water drains to the very front center where my drain will be. I will give you 4 photos for you viewing pleasure. :grin: I dont know if i like it yet,but it would look alot better with a SPAZ decal on the front which will be my next project.The inner tray BTW is 1/8" 304 SS punch plate. The front contoured piece is 1/8"304 SS ,sides are 1/8, and remainder of tray is .080 wall 304 SS.

Last edited by zedex on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Wow! Great job!
And not using thin metal as well. This drip tray is here to last!! Love the grate as well . Holes are large enough to let the fluid through yet concealing the tray itself!
Looks good.

Endo

Post by Endo »

YES! Very nice.

Can you not peel the decal off the old tray and stick it on?
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Thanks :grin: The decal is inset into the plastic tray so i would have to pry it out. :shock: I will see if its removable without destroying it. :mrgreen:
comrade

Post by comrade »

Wow, top marks my friend.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Hi guys. I was able to peel off the v2 sticker. Looks great on the tray. Will take a pic.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Looking forward to it. I know everyone would also be interested in a complete run down on how you successfully removed the decal such that it was reusable.
Chas
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

The decal can be removed by getting behind a corner of the decal with an exacto knife and gently prying it out. Its a flexible decal and has some depth. Keep prying until you can grab it with your fingers and gently remove it. It comes off and the sticky part stays with the decal so you can reapply it to anything.

Here it is with decal. So far i am really liking the tray,after putting the black plastic tray back in i just had to take it out again. It looks much better in real life.

GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Really beautiful! I wonder how it would look on the Mini as it will also make the plastic tank stand out more - potentially another project . Would you consider orders ;)
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Is the tray virtually the same on the mini? I would consider anything. ;-)
Endo

Post by Endo »

Super nice!

I e-mailed LaSpaziale a while ago about this mod and sent them photos I did with my chrome tape. No word back.

I thought it might come out with the embossment label changes, but no luck so far. Perhaps it adds too much cost.

Mini tray is the same BTW.
CaliforniaJed

Post by CaliforniaJed »

Zedex, that is first class and well done! Looks totally "OEM". Congrats on a job well done!
oton

Post by oton »

WOW. You have serious skillz. :shock: Congrats!! :shock:
Endo

Post by Endo »

Just needs the LED mod now to really show off that tray.
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

Nice, nice, nice. BZ!
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Thanks very much. :smile:
I found some brass fittings that will work for the drain, but cant find a stainless 3/8" pipe nut so i will have to make one. I should have a few minuted tomorrow to make one up and weld the nut into the tray. Hopefully the drain will work like i think it will. :shock:

I do have under cabinet lights already that do a decent job of lighting up the machine. I can actually see my shots well with those lights on. So if i do install lights they will be LASERS, leds are so old school. :lol:
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

:grin:

I finished the tray, with drain, and it works perfectly.................... so far. :lol:
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Hi.
Just wanted to update the thread. After 1 months use i am happy to say the drain is great. Works really nice and everything drains completely and quickly. No standing water whatsoever.
After always having to pull out a tray for 10 + years on various machines, it a nice to be able to just never have to do it .

I don't think i will do any more mods.

BTW. This machine was red originally and i just couldn't handle it, so i painted it with krylon fusion paint. So, if anyone wants to change the color of their machine the krylon is excellent.(may i suggest purple :drunken: ) Its actually made for plastic so it will not chip or peel .

Cheers.

Colin

Edit. Oh yea. I also removed those stickers that were on the back splash. :grin:
expy98

Post by expy98 »

hey I resemble that remark... mine is red and will remain red :-)

Fantastic work. I gave up on a VBM to go S1, one of the primary reasons was keeping it shiny got old quick.
But that tray and grate looks great.

Among other things, I've come to appreciate the S1's group screens and very infrequent need for backflushing compared
to an E61 machine (2 clear water backflushes after each use, chemical bf every week or 2). So for me, a PID DB E61 is not
equiv to an all chrome S1...
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

I tried to like it, i swear. :lol: The wife was against it from the get go. You know what they say, happy wife,happy life.
I found the red was in your face, the black makes the machine disappear in the corner.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Paint is cheap. So your good either way (another plus for the plastic, removable side panels!)

I'd love to see some "whacked out" custom paint schemes on the side panels. I'm surprised nobody has done an airbrush job on their machine yet. Guess we're not that type of crowd. :lol:
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

Ditto on the red. What are you thinking on the airbrush art? Skulls or nudes? Maybe both? flames?
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

What i was thinking of doing was removing the plastic side panels and machining 3/8 holes into all the corners of the side panels. Then i would get some stainless allen head bolts, cut the threads off and glue the heads of the allen bolts into the holes i machined. This would give the illusion that the side panels were mounted using SS allen bolts and would give the machine some side detail. It would give the machine a machined look not unlike the case of a motorcycle motor. I think the side panels need a little somethin somethin.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

would love to see some Dzus fasteners and bypass the stock fasteners. That would serve both purposes well...

That would go well w/ flames graphics too :-)

Let me know when I can send you my side panels...

in case you haven't heard of Dzus fasteners, I vote for the self ejecting buttons.

http://www.dzusfasteners.net/
Last edited by expy98 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Bolt heads sound cool. As you say, it would be even better is they were functional as well.

Personally, I was thinking more along the lines of adding a raised chrome accent on the top and front edge of the panels. Kinda like a big arrow. Or perhaps a classy chrome "LaSpaziale" badge right in the center.

But the flames sound cool too!! :glasses7:

Though I suppose if I really wanted the motorcycle look, I spring for this 8 month old Speedster:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/568248
oton

Post by oton »

8 months speedster for sale :grin: I love this people. They change machines as often they change the pants.
I want to do the same.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Upgrade fever is a disease.

The guy wants a Strada or Hydra :lol:

Might as well hire a WBC champion as your live-in nanny. It's cheaper.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Speedster is too much industrial bling for me. I think that's why i like the v2. Its pretty subtle and doesn't take over the kitchen. The speedster for some reason makes me think of a crazy ass toaster. :lol:
I originally thought about making SS sides but that would be too much +time consuming. Maybe i will make a SS panel that attached to the side panel but you still see the black edge.That would be quick and relatively easy like what you describe Endo. Something along that line. Just out of 16 guage SS. The spaz side panel is slightly convex so the SS panel could not be solid.If i dont like it i can just toss it and no harm done.
BlrdFx

Post by BlrdFx »

zedex wrote:well. here it is . I have not installed my drain yet, but thats the easy part. Making this tray was a huge PITA.The bottom is angled towards the front, and sides are angled toward center so all water drains to the very front center where my drain will be. I will give you 4 photos for you viewing pleasure. :grin: I dont know if i like it yet,but it would look alot better with a SPAZ decal on the front which will be my next project.The inner tray BTW is 1/8" 304 SS punch plate. The front contoured piece is 1/8"304 SS ,sides are 1/8, and remainder of tray is .080 wall 304 SS.

I see you changed the grate as well as the tray. What was it about the OEM grate that you did not like?

BTW, good work!

Return to “Tips & Tricks”