removing steam wand

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
triathlon61
Latte

removing steam wand

Post by triathlon61 »

I want to change it. Can someone explain, in detail, how to do this? Do I unscrew the big nut at the top of the wand? Do I need to remove the panels?

md
Endo

Re: removing steam wand

Post by Endo »

I just happen to be swapping mine.....so here's a photo.

Easiest method (wand only):

1: Remove drip tray.
2: Hold flats on wand just under brass nut with 9mm open wrench.
3: Turn wand counter clockwise.

Alternate method (entire wand and nut):

1- Remove steam knob
2- Remove top cover
3- Loosen 4 side panel screws (on top)
4- Remove 2 front cover screws (on top)
5- Gently pry side panels apart and front cover will fall out (be careful because it will still be attached by the wires).
6- Use an adjustable wrench and to loosen the brass wand nut (be careful because a spring and small brass collet will fall out of joint and will need to go back).

That's it. Just reverse to put everything back.
Front Opened to Remove Wand
Front Opened to Remove Wand
IMG_0820 (640x451).jpg (97.31 KiB) Viewed 19369 times
Last edited by Endo on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
triathlon61
Latte

Post by triathlon61 »

How do you remove the steam knob?
md
Endo

Post by Endo »

If it's the Mini, just turn it.

Otherwise, read through this post:

http://www.s1cafe.com./viewtopic.php?f= ... b8f#p14311
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Boy, removing the wand was much, much simpler on the S1!! No panels to remove just slip a wrench over the flat at the upper end of the wand & unscrew.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Wow, no kidding! :shock:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Either one is a piece of cake relative to the GS/3. Replacing the stock no burn with the full burn arm on that was a nightmare!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:Boy, removing the wand was much, much simpler on the S1!! No panels to remove just slip a wrench over the flat at the upper end of the wand & unscrew.
With the new side panels it's actually super easy. Really a 5 minute job at most (removed it 4 times already).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote:Either one is a piece of cake relative to the GS/3. Replacing the stock no burn with the full burn arm on that was a nightmare!
So I've read. Don't cry but after removing the left side cover (2 nuts) on the Speedster you can remove the entire steam arm assy by unscrewing one big nut. Taking your time its a 2 minute job.
LJCoffeeGuy

Post by LJCoffeeGuy »

Very easy to remove and reinstall. I've even contemplated going back the the stock smaller wand to experience what I am missing since I immediately installed the S5 arm when I got my machines.

Endo - we have the same knockbox and phone....geesh, what other devices in common?
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:Boy, removing the wand was much, much simpler on the S1!! No panels to remove just slip a wrench over the flat at the upper end of the wand & unscrew.
Your right! :shock: I didn't notice those little flats. That is easier than the front cover removal (although a bit more cramped to get access). I'll edit my post to include both methods.
triathlon61
Latte

Post by triathlon61 »

What do you mean by 'flats'?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The top of the steam arm tube is flat on both sides allowing you to put a wrench around there and unscrew the tube at that point. If you look closely, you can see the seam in the tube where it unscrews just about the "flats". So if you need to replace the steam arm and you are not having problems with the current swivel assembly, there is no need to unscrew the brass fitting at the top. You can just replace the tube. It's easier and faster.
The "flats"
The "flats"
flat.jpg (18.12 KiB) Viewed 18953 times
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “Tips & Tricks”