Diffusion Block

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
BillK

Diffusion Block

Post by BillK »

I received my new machine today. I now have a I and and II.

Everything is fine so far with the new machine. I am not getting espresso that is as good as with my old machine, but this is just a matter of getting all the variables dialed-in. I set the pre-infusion to 3 seconds, and have just left it there for now.

One thing I notice right off is that the diffusion block is thicker on this machine than on my old machine. I am confused. I thought that Spaziale (or Chris) went to the thinner diffuser real early-on, which explains why my old machine has a thin diffuser. Did they go back to the thicker block somewhere along the way? I don't recall reading anything along these lines. Have I missed something.

At any rate, here is what I am measuring:

On my OLD machine the thickness of the diffuser block is approx 11mm, or 7/16"

On my NEW machine the thickness is 13.5mm or slightly over a half inch.

Can somebody help me understand my situation? Why would Spaziale go from thinner to thicker?
coffeeowl

Re: Diffusion Block

Post by coffeeowl »

Do you have both machines from CC?
I got the bigger diffuser with mine, but mine was ordered in Poland and came from Italy.
Scroll down here and you will see pictures of both diffusers.
BillK

Post by BillK »

Yes, both from Chriscoffee. The first one, with the thin diffuser, is going on three years ago. The most recent one, with the thicker diffuser, is brand new as of last week. The machine was manufactured at the end of 2007.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Thats odd as my S1V2 is from the December 07 shipment & it has the thinner 7/16" block. I bought it just after New Years.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

BillK wrote:Yes, both from Chriscoffee. The first one, with the thin diffuser, is going on three years ago. The most recent one, with the thicker diffuser, is brand new as of last week. The machine was manufactured at the end of 2007.
Check out the link in Pawel's e-mail. Are the holes in yours staggered in a star patter like the thicker one in the photo or are they in a concentric circle like the thinner one? If the former, then you definitely got an old one. If the latter case, then it sounds more like a new design. In either case, call Chris Coffee and ask them what is up with that. Let us know what you find out.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
BillK

Post by BillK »

I called Chriscoffee. I did not get a statement of whether or not the thicker diffuser is now standard. I told them about the difference in diffusers between my old machine and the new machine, and they are going to exchange the new, thicker disk for the thinner version.

I am liking the new machine a lot. I have dialed it in pretty well now. I have my regulator output pressure set at slightly over 30 psi. I have my pump output pressure set to 125 psi. I have the pre-infusion time set to 5 seconds. My temp offset is at zero and my temp set point seems to reflect my temp measurements. My most recent shot reminded me of the shots I get at Black Sheep Coffee on their Synesso. I do hope this is typical and not a fluke.
Niko

Post by Niko »

BillK wrote:I do hope this is typical and not a fluke.
You mean...a Fluke meter? :lol:
Sorry, couldn't help it!
Anyways, it doesn't sounds like a fluke or luck that you had some nice shots - the reasons for the S1 to evolve into the VII was to make things a little easier to achieve better espresso and repeatability.
I am soooooooo happy with the preinfusion, it makes my old S1 feel like a Krups :lol: - but it won't last for long since my preinfusion chamber arrives for that wee beastie tomorrow :wink:

And speaking of Fluke meters, I was trying to check my offset with the Scace earlier this evening, it's not a good time to be doing this since there's a heat wave going on over here :twisted:

Back to the original post, I wouldn't exchange that thicker disc. Just order a thinner one and grow your collection like I do - after all, what kind of Vivaldi collector are you?? :lol:
BillK

Post by BillK »

Niko wrote: Back to the original post, I wouldn't exchange that thicker disc. Just order a thinner one and grow your collection like I do - after all, what kind of Vivaldi collector are you?? :lol:
Niko, please. I am trying to simplify. That is why I bought yet another espresso machine. :-)

Actually, this is an attempt at simplification, as we move seasonally and have had to drag the machine back and forth until now.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Niko wrote:
And speaking of Fluke meters, I was trying to check my offset with the Scace earlier this evening, it's not a good time to be doing this since there's a heat wave going on over here
:angryfire: But isn't it a dry heat!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Now I'm back to measuring the offset since the house has dropped below 90F! I'll be taking averages and notes for a week and then determine what the best setting is :wink:

And no, it's not a dry heat in the SF Bay Area...I actually wish I was in my Sacramento home when it was 111F rather than the 95F down here :evil:
It's not only dry heat in Sacto but the homes are newer and built better with Air Conditioning - so bring it on 110,120 doesn't matter over there.
Now if you excuse me, the Scace is ready after 30 minutes in the group head, gotta' go.....

Return to “VII General Q&A”