Boiler Pressure

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
bluesman13

Boiler Pressure

Post by bluesman13 »

I almost posted this to the 15amp vs 20amp thread, but it's a little bit different but possibly related.

I've noticed just recently that, in the am, after pulling my double shot, that when I turn the steam handle, the boiler pressure immediately drops to around 1 bar, and the red light goes on. It takes about another 30-45 seconds before the steam pressure is up to 1.35 bar and it's ready to go.
Actually, it's probably not related to pulling a shot, because if I just open the steam knob, the pressure immed drops and the red light goes on. Is this normal?

I leave machine on all the time and I don't remember having this problem before. Anyone else experienced this?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I always crack open the knob to flush moisture before steaming. The pressure will drop below 1b if its been sitting awhile & quickly build up to 1.2b which is the cut off point on my machine. When I open the knob to start steaming the pressure drops to 1b but the light doesn't start blinking for 5-6 seconds.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I have not kept track of the pressure readings, but when you open the steam valve the pressure has to drop. In turn, there has to be a lag before the heater turns on to rebuild the pressure. To be honest, because I have always had more steam than I need so I haven't watched the pressure while I steam.
Mark
bluesman13

Post by bluesman13 »

thanks for your replies. I only noticed myself because the steamer wasn't steaming as fast as before. My group pressure is 10 bar. It used to be 9 bar. Should I think about re-adjusting it?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'd be wondering why it increased. Do you have pressure regulator on the water line feeding the machine?
bluesman13

Post by bluesman13 »

JohnB wrote:I'd be wondering why it increased. Do you have pressure regulator on the water line feeding the machine?
no, the water line for the Spaz is tapped from the line that goes to the ice maker in the frig.

Return to “VII General Q&A”