Ready to pull the trigger, but:

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
Jake

Ready to pull the trigger, but:

Post by Jake »

First off, sorry for the long post, but, I've decided on the VII so I need some advise on peripheral "stuff"

"She who must be obeyed" said not in the kitchen, but I'll have to work this part of the problem with the gray-sided VII that may match the kitchen appliances. (It's amazing how you come to dislike all the fully-chromed machines when looking at the Vivaldi, however, this is probably a personal problem).

Where I plan on putting the VII does not have a drain or water supply, although it's in the laundry room. I'll have to buy a cabinet, gray water container, bottled water, and run wire for power.

Assuming I install the cabinet (about 5' long), power etc. What else should I be concerned about?

From what I've read on this site (it is informative, thanks):

I don't need the timer (to much $$ IMHO)
I don't really need a filter/softener system if I used bottled water
The 15 amp model since I'm the only one using it, plus I don't have a need to do both hot water and steam at the same time
I destroyed a Isomac Relax due to scaling so this may be lessened by using bottled water? Yes/No (I could probably bring it back to life, but, I didn't really like it too much)
I'm going to delay the bottomless portafilter but I may still buy it so I get everything at once. This is new since the last time I investigated machines and coffee. It seems everyone has one, but then again this could be "self-selected". That is everyone who has one--post something and it seems like everyone has one.
I'll need two water pumps since I'm going to get both a sink plus the VII hooked to bottled water. But, I probably need the accumulator for the pumps.
I may need someway to regulate the water pressure.
And last, I don't need the drain kit--just make my own.

I live near EspressoParts in WA state (45 minutes away, on a good day) so I could pick some of the stuff up there or just get advise--or call Chris and save gas money. Washington, the state with the highest gas tax and a transit system paid for by gas tax that no one uses.

Thanks for your support, advise, and knowledge,

Jake
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

In your situation the easiest thing to do would be to buy a mini and not worry about bottles...

However, if you want to go all the way you will need a flowjet or get yourself some pressure and an accumulator between the flowjet and the vivaldi.

As long as you are pulling wires go to 20 amp; why limit yourself in any way?

I bought from Chris and have only great things to say (I'm in San Diego). He has been involved in the development/refinement of the machine (and others) and I would support him.

Good luck, I don't think that you can go wrong with a vivaldi,
Mark
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

It does sound like you'd be better off with a Mini but its an odd laundry room that doesn't have water & a drain. Not interested in a plumbing project?
zoey

Post by zoey »

What else should I be concerned about?
don't forget a good surge protector.

Bottled water will inhibit scaling but I would investigate the brand you pick. Don't forget that bottled water is going to start to add up $ and cause some inconvenience (unless you have it delivered). Nothing like needing a coffee and finding out that you are out of water.

My Mini came with 3 portafilters, one of which was a naked.

The big box home improvement places will have something to regulate water pressure.

Give the folks at Chris a call. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Niko

Post by Niko »

If it were me (and I do have a laundry room) - I'd tap into the plumbing where the washer gets the water from and skip the whole water bottle thingy.
Jake

Post by Jake »

First thanks for all the replies and feedback.

Of course I have water and a drain in the laundry room, (sorry for the misunderstanding) but across the room--hmmm. :evil:

But, I'm going to order the 20 amp VII tomorrow. I'm hoping that when I "display" it in "wrong" place (read kitchen) the I'll be able to leave it there.
If not, I have several other places to put it. But, I do not want to go with bottled water plus the pump.

Hopefully, Chris gets an order tomorrow, Monday, for a VII with all the appropriate equipment, including the filter and softener. (nothing against the mini but the mini is out of the running)

If I can't leave it in the kitchen, I'll just run some 20 amp service plus water and just spend some more $$.

After the fiasco with what I have now and Black Cat, I'm ready for a NEW machine and the VII looks like the best for my budget.

On another subject, if you live near Seattle, do a search on Craigslist for GS3 and see what you get! Still too much for me, but I'm not a perfectionist.

Jake
Niko

Post by Niko »

Jake wrote: On another subject, if you live near Seattle, do a search on Craigslist for GS3 and see what you get! Still too much for me, but I'm not a perfectionist.

Jake
Wow, I saw that!
Jake

Post by Jake »

The Spaz II is in the "stable".

First thoughts:
1. It's heavy--I love it
2. It's large--no matter what other members say--I love it
3. I love it without even being installed and running--I love it
4. The wife forgot I was going to install it downstairs. :-) I really love it
5. Did I say I loved it? Already?
6. OK this weekend I'll install the plumbing--the whole thing for Chris.
7. I ordered the gray sides and that I like. It is rather mild and I guessed da wife's right--she doesn't like all that chrome. (That was my intent from the start)
8. OK I have a lot of work ahead.
10. What do I not like. The Spaz is OK, but the Bumper Knockbox it way too large. That is my opinion, and I didn't check the diameter prior to ordering so that's my fault, but it's big. :oops: :shock:
11 We won't make this an even 12, but, did I say I really liked the gray? I'll post a picture when I have everything installed.

I cannot wait to install everything this weekend. Well, yes I can!

Jake
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I am glad that you love the machine.

In time I think that you will also come to love the bumper knock box. Big is good, you don't have to worry about how you knock and the raised rear catches any splash. It is also really easy to clean because you can reach in so easily.

I'm sure that you will enjoy your machine. Mine is just over a year old and I still get a nice warm feeling and a smile every time I savor a cup...

Mark
Weska

Post by Weska »

Agreed. Loving the Vivaldi is not likely to break your heart.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Loving La Vivaldi Loca :lol:

Yes, big knock box = clean walls.

I had a small knock box, as evidenced by all of the coffee stains on the wall, which my wife is making me paint next weekend. :cry:
gsscott

Post by gsscott »

I also had to appease my "She who must be obeyed" and the only issue that I lost on was the Bumper Knockbox. It is indeed large, and she said NFW about it on the counter unless it is full of kitchen utensils. I now have a Grindenstein next to the sink, which is also a nice design but way too small. She did let me leave my Bumper Tamper stand out, though. She did initially grouse about the size of the VII and the Macap M4, and the plumbing line, but that didn't last long. Now it is just blissful silence other than trying to figure out how often to turn the boiler off.

Return to “VII General Q&A”