Viv II Update

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
Paulgab

Viv II Update

Post by Paulgab »

Thanks to advice on another thread I am now the proud owner of a VivII with flojet which I have been using now for approx 4 weeks. I was even lucky enough to have it arrive with the gauge in place!! I've had to extend the vent to stop water missing the drip tray , but other than that, it has been a great experience so far.
I've been using 15-16g in a double shot which takes approx 25sec from pressing the double cup button to get a 2oz shot. I've not experimented with a single shot yet, but over the next few weeks I should get more chance to play around with various grind quantities.

Overall, I'm a very happy owner and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the flojet route as the Mini Viv in the UK does not appear to be a Mini VivII as supplied in the US!

Cheers
Paul
EgyMat

Post by EgyMat »

Paul,

Do you have any photographs of your flojet and MkII set up that you would be willing to share please?

Plumbing in is not an option for me and I've been trying to source a MkII Mini in the UK for some time, but so far without success. MKIs seem to be available, but I want the MkII upgrades.

Also, and I may be completely wrong, I often wonder if there may have been compromises made to the orginal Vivaldi design when designing/implementing the Mini version. This is my own pure speculation and I have absolutely no evidence of this (flame protection clause).

So a combination of this and the apparent unavailability of the Mini MkII in the UK are making me look more at how I could set up an umplumbed MkII.

I understand the Vivaldi expects the incoming water to be under pressure, so a flojet is necessary.

Were you able to source the flow jet kit in the UK?

Thanks for any advice.
ronsil

Re: Viv II Update

Post by ronsil »

Paulgab wrote:I've been using 15-16g in a double shot which takes approx 25sec from pressing the double cup button to get a 2oz shot. I've not experimented with a single shot yet, but over the next few weeks I should get more chance to play around with various grind quantities.Paul
- I use 11grams for a single & grind slightly coarser on my Mazzer E

Ron :wink:
Paulgab

Post by Paulgab »

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flojet-Bottled-Water-Pump_W0QQitemZ350020977660QQcmdZViewItem

Try this link for a Flojet in the UK. It is also available from other places.
Although it seemed like a lot of hassle at the time compared to just buying the Mini, I'm glad I went down the Flojet route.
The rotary pump is incredibly quiet compared to any vibe pumps I've heard.
I'm more than happy to post a photo (when I figure out how) although I have only set it up very crudely to get myself going. I bought the Viv along with CTU from Steve at Hasbean (brilliant service as usual) and was up and running very quickly (I just had to get a couple of John Guest fittings from Finerfilters.co.uk who were very helpful and pleasant people to deal with and who also sell a very good looking Brita filter/Softener.
If you have further questions , please feel free to PM me or ask on this forum.
I also fitted a Shurflo accumulator inline which is readily availible online from any number of marine chandlers.
I cannot stress enough how painless the flojet setup is!!
Cheers,
Paul
Paulgab

Post by Paulgab »

ronsil wrote:
Paulgab wrote:I've been using 15-16g in a double shot which takes approx 25sec from pressing the double cup button to get a 2oz shot. I've not experimented with a single shot yet, but over the next few weeks I should get more chance to play around with various grind quantities.Paul
- I use 11grams for a single & grind slightly coarser on my Mazzer E

Ron :wink:
Thanks for that
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Paulgab wrote:
ronsil wrote:
Paulgab wrote:I've been using 15-16g(...)
- I use (...)
Thanks for that
:)
I use about 9 to 10 grams for singles and grind the same or finer, it depends on the weather I think.
EgyMat

Post by EgyMat »

Thanks for the detailed information Paul.

I looked into this for a few days, but don't think it's going to work. Buying a new espresso machine and grinder is one thing. Having to move the dishwasher to install it might be pushing my wife's patience too far.

I'm back to the Mini, but no closer to finding a MkII in the UK.

Thanks again.

Return to “VII General Q&A”