Help! Backflush Problem

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
bluesman13

Help! Backflush Problem

Post by bluesman13 »

So, my Spaz was leaking water from the pf when brewing an espresso. It was clear water coming from the front of the pf. Niko suggested I rotate the basket - that didn't really solve the problem. I sent an email to service at chris coffee, and they said that sometimes some grounds get lodged in between the gasket and the group, so remove the gasket and clean around it and replace it.
Sounded easy enough, but I ruined the gasket when I tried to remove it and when I finally was able to pry it off, this whole metal piece came off with it. Ugh. So, I got the extra gasket that came with my Spaz, and I was able to put the new gasket in and cleaned up the metal piece real good, pushed it back on, and then screwed the screens back in. I realized how full of grime all those parts get. SO I decided to back flush using the backflush disk. I put some cleaner in the basket and the first few times the lights blinked like they should and I pressed the doser button and it washed the water into the drain tray.

The problem now is that I can't backflush at all because the lights never blink. What on earth did I do wrong?

thanks for any help...
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I am not sure that I can help, since I have never exactly had your problem. However, when you backflush the pressure is built up based upon the air that is in the portafilter. Each time you flush without dumping the water from the basket the pressure gets smaller because you have less air left in the system.

Remove your portafilter, dump the water and try again. I would hope that you will develop pressure that is too high and that the lights will flash.

If that doesn't work for you I have no idea what is going on.

Hope that this helps a bit...

In terms of general upkeep it is important to remove the screens and the difuser disk (the heavy brass disk under the screens) and to clean all of them and the group regularly. It sounds like you have been letting things get dirty? I flush some water through the group after each shot and also wipe the group and gasket after each shot to remove grounds that might be left.

Good luck,
Mark
jmcphail

Post by jmcphail »

I think it is helpful to clean the screens and diffuser prior to backflushing, to avoid forcing debris into the 3-way valve. Sometimes I even backflush while the diffuser and screens are out of the machine and soaking. But the idea is to avoid forcing grinds or debris into the 3-way valve while backflushing.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Maybe, just maybe, bluesman13, you've still got a leak around your gasket somehow. That would prevent the machine from going into over-pressure and flashing the lights. But that amount of leakage should be very noticeable if it is water. If there is an air pocket on top of your pf, then maybe it wouldn't be so noticeable.

A quick way to test this possibility would be to fill your backflush-ready pf with water, brimming, and then lock it in. Commence backflushing. Are the lights still not blinking? Is there a pretty strong jet of water coming out around the pf?

Return to “VII General Q&A”