Covering the cup warmer

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
bluesman13

Covering the cup warmer

Post by bluesman13 »

Hi,

I have very little clearance between the top of my Spaz and the laminated cabinet. Because it gives off so much heat the laminate has started to come off the cabinet.

So, I was thinking of putting a towel over the openings of the cup warmers to try to deflect some of the heat into the towel.

Is this a bad idea? Is the cup wamer vents necessary to be open so that the Spaz doesn't overheat?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Considering that those holes are the only way for the heat to escape the machine it might not be a good idea. How about insulating the boilers to keep the heat down?
Niko

Post by Niko »

If you have enough clearance, try a bunch of small espresso cups and then cover it with a towel (doubled or tripled) over them.
The porcelain will suck up most of the heat and the towel will keep them hot and away from the cabinets.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I do what Niko suggests but solely to keep my cups warmer. With this configuration I measured temps at various points inside the machine with and without the towel on. Differences were negligible.

However, a towel over cups doesn't seal like it would if you put a towel directly on the cup warmer and essentially blocked all flow.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
bluesman13

Post by bluesman13 »

chas,

do you think it's ok to put the towel directly over the cup warmer?

thanks,
Steve
bluesman13

Post by bluesman13 »

chas?
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

chas wrote:However, a towel over cups doesn't seal like it would if you put a towel directly on the cup warmer and essentially blocked all flow.
I think Chas answered you. Sounds like a very bad idea.
Tappari

Post by Tappari »

How much space there must indeed be above the cup warmer? Is 2 inch enough?
Niko

Post by Niko »

I think 2 inches would be an absolute minimum if you had a way to protect the bottom of the cabinets. Cups really do act like a heatsink for me, the towel keeps the heat on the cups and away from the cabinets.
Which reminds me, I should run some temperature tests inside the cabinet with and without a towel to see how much it helps.
bluesman13

Post by bluesman13 »

Niko wrote:I think 2 inches would be an absolute minimum if you had a way to protect the bottom of the cabinets. Cups really do act like a heatsink for me, the towel keeps the heat on the cups and away from the cabinets.
Which reminds me, I should run some temperature tests inside the cabinet with and without a towel to see how much it helps.
even a picture would be helpful...
Niko

Post by Niko »

No problem, I'll post something when I get home later tonight.
I keep up to 20 cups on the warmer so the towel keeps the cabinets from peeling :lol:
bluesman13

Post by bluesman13 »

Niko wrote:No problem, I'll post something when I get home later tonight.
:lol:
***snore***
:wink:

Return to “VII General Q&A”