Changed filters- now no drip!

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
ebprod

Changed filters- now no drip!

Post by ebprod »

My V2 always had a minor drip into the the tray. Never enough to bother me, but I did have to dump it every day or so.

About a week ago, I put in a new carbon and softener cartridge and the dripping stopped! It is the only thing different, so it has to be related. I haven't had to dump the tray since.

The brew pressure is the same, and the pressure at idle is the same. Maybe I got a surge of air through the system with the cartridge change that cleared the drip?

-Joe
Niko

Post by Niko »

That happens to me every time I change cartridges :D

...after several weeks, the drip returns :(
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The new cartridge is more restrictive & drops line pressure temporarily. Install an in line pressure regulator & I bet the drip will go away.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

According to Jason, some leaking from the expansion valve (when correctly calibrated), is normal.

Not sure if this is the source of your leaking, but I also wonder if a pressure regulator comes into play. Mine quit working awhile back, so I went direct. Since I am using an RO system, the pressure only went up about 5 psi (from 20 to 25 I think).

Not sure if that is when my dripping started, or if it did it all along, but since I am plumbed in, and Jason gives assurances, I am not worried.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I have a regulator installed as well and the drips are "normal" to me.
"Normal" as in acceptable and I'm not bothering with it. The covers are staying on as long as the machine functions well.
Tomorrow my dripping will stop, it's the 1 year anniversary of the VII installation so it's filter changing time :D
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The question is "how much dripping is normal"? When do you two see the dripping? All the time? I would think that having to empty the drip tray daily because of it would be more then "normal". Since his drip stopped when the pressure was reduced I'd be curious to know how high the line pressure was at the machine. Also doing the "group pressure test" described in the owners manual wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure its set correctly.
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

I've got a pressure regulator on the line, but I haven't installed the gauge. On the machine, the brew gauge is a about 2 bar at idle.

I was hoping I had a permanent fix, but I guess only time will tell.

-Joe
JohnB wrote:The question is "how much dripping is normal"? When do you two see the dripping? All the time? I would think that having to empty the drip tray daily because of it would be more then "normal". Since his drip stopped when the pressure was reduced I'd be curious to know how high the line pressure was at the machine. Also doing the "group pressure test" described in the owners manual wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure its set correctly.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I've got the regulator and gauge, reads around 30psi (never more). Everything is normal in the manometer as well, machine drips (slightly) when the group is heating. I do not need to empty the drip tray often, maybe once a week if I left it alone but I rinse and dump everyday to keep it tidy.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

[quote="ebprod"]I've got a pressure regulator on the line, but I haven't installed the gauge. On the machine, the brew gauge is a about 2 bar at idle.
-Joe
[quote]

My brew gauge sits at 3 bar when idle. Have you done the 12.5 bar pressure check described in the CC Owner's Manual?
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Regarding the expansion valve. Mine actually did start dripping again after replacing the rubber disk and re-calibration. I am using an RO system that is putting out about 30 psi (2 bar).

I put back in the pressure regulator, and have found that at 20 psi (1.33 bar), it does not drip at all. At 25 psi (1.66 bar) it drips fairly slow. Without the pressure regulator at 30 psi (2 bar), it was dripping a LOT.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

My line pressure is right at 30psi with the regulator & no drips but my machine is pretty new. I imagine as it ages the valve will get sloppier.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

JohnB wrote:My line pressure is right at 30psi with the regulator & no drips but my machine is pretty new. I imagine as it ages the valve will get sloppier.
Maybe one of the requirements of owning the machine is a plumbed in drip tray?

:D

Return to “VII General Q&A”