Pressure variation

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
Jeff

Pressure variation

Post by Jeff »

Here's an interesting thing I noticed - I can't plumb in my V2 so I got a FloJet with it, and today I realized that when a shot is brewing, the pressure stat goes from 9.5 to 8.5 and back again, between every pump of the FloJet, which is about every second or two.

I'm puzzled. If the boiler is full, why would the pressure in the line feeding the water cause the brew pressure to fluctuate? Doesn't the pump that pulls water out of the boiler pump at a consistent pressure?

Hmm....
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Your input water pressure passes through the pump, so to speak. You will notice that the pressure is not zero when the pump is idle; this is a reflection of the input water pressure.

If the flowjet is pumping and that alters the input pressure enough I presume that you will see it. I have never used a flowjet.

If this is an issue I believe that an accumulator tank between the flowjet and the Vivaldi will help (if you adjust it to the appropriate intermediate pressure). See, for example, the following link:
http://www.shurflo.com/pages/Food_Servi ... tanks.html

Good luck,
Mark
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Mark,

I finally got one of these hooked up and it's great! The Flojet runs quieter and the pressure on the machine during brewing is perfectly stable. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jeff
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I'm glad that I could help out. This community supports one and other and is really a valuable resource for those of us who enjoy coffee and the Vivaldi to make it.

I actually think that using one of these can help out to even the pressure for those of us who are plumbed in as well, but I have not put one onto my system.

Return to “VII General Q&A”