VII on the way - electrical questions.

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
zoomin

VII on the way - electrical questions.

Post by zoomin »

In a couple days I will be the proud new owner of a Vivaldi VII!

I am upgrading from QuickMill Andreja Premium.

I ordered from Joe at Caffe Tech in Edmonton - the Official Canadian Distributor.

Now I ordered the 20a model, which means the internal switch will be flipped to 20a and the plug will be a 20a only style plug (one pin flipped 90 deg.), correct?

If I can't get an electrician in to run a new dedicated circuit and install a 20a breaker, i think I am safe to flip the VII's internal switch to 15a and swap my existing 15a outlet with a 20a outlet in the meantime, correct?

Also on the way, a Macap M4 Stepless (got a great deal on ebay from espressoparts).

I will be flogging my Rocky after I put new burrs in it (5+ years and no burr changes - I have a funny feeling this has been my weak link?!).
Last edited by zoomin on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niko

Post by Niko »

You are correct about the flipped pin (90 degrees).
You should be able to just force the machine into Economy Mode by holding down the power button for at least 10 seconds. This is good so you don't have to open the top cover to flip the switch back and forth.

Great job on getting the MACAP! :D

....oh, and welcome to the S1 Cafe!! :occasion9:
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

Thanks for the warm welcome Niko.

La Spaz arrived this afternoon. It's plumbed in and ready to go, but it won't pull shots?!

It does despense water and steam, but pushing the one shot button makes lights 14-15-16 flash; two shot button makes lights 17-18-19 flash.

The manual describes this as a non-blocking alarm?

It is in 15a mode (inside switch set to 15a).

Also, what's the on/off switch inside next to the 15a/20a switch?

thanks.
Niko

Post by Niko »

zoomin wrote: Also, what's the on/off switch inside next to the 15a/20a switch?

thanks.
That's the timer ON/OFF switch.

Now about those lights, are you choking the machine? It sounds like your grind might be too fine since both sets of them are dancing.
Does it look like my avatar when you hit the 2 cup button?
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

Thanks for the quick response.

The portafilter is empty. the lights blink twice then stop. it makes no attempt to dispense water through the group.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'm wondering if the machine is choked by a brass shaving large enough to clog it.
The manual does state this as a Non-Blocking alarm as you stated, did you look in the section of the forum about brass shavings and how to remove them? I've never had to personally do this but I know a few other people to clean out some shavings.

Check this thread out, if you haven't already:
wforum/viewtopic.php?t=291&highlight=brass+shavings
Weska

Post by Weska »

That's a poser, zoomin. I'm just brainstorming here without any concrete experience with your problem.

What I'm wondering is whether something was jostled loose during shipment. There are many cases of that kind of thing reported.

In particular, you might look around inside for a detached wire that supplies the pump. I could imagine that the wiring harness to the pump is detached, for example, but the alarm signaling device that sits somewhere else on a circuit board is still supplied with current and functional.
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

Joe at Caffetech sent me some suggestions, also thinking something jostled loose in shipping.

I followed them but I really don't think that anything in there was loose.

When i powered it back up, though, it was working properly :)

So, I think it's safe to assume there's a Windows varient OS embedded in there - the reboot is often the cure :)

My first shot was not so good, but I hope to have drinkable espresso before I get through these three pounds :)
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

My S1 only shipped with one filter basket. How can I tell whether it's supposed to be the single or double? Can anyone point me to pictures so I know which one I need sent?

Thanks.
Niko

Post by Niko »

zoomin

Post by zoomin »

Thanks Niko. It shipped without the double basket.
Niko

Post by Niko »

NOOoooooo!
:shock:
That's the one I use 99.9999999999999999999% of the time.
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

that's the one i would have wanted to use too - but, i guess i have to wait till next week now...

This is really a well put together machine. I really like the look of the Andreja Premium, but for me this looks much better in our kitchen.

After taking off the side and back panels, i got a good look at the insides and this thing is built like a tank - very nice.

so far, however, the shots coming out are drinkable, just drinkable...
Niko

Post by Niko »

zoomin wrote:I really like the look of the Andreja Premium, but for me this looks much better in our kitchen.
Someone in my family recently dumped the Andreja Premium for an S1.
Literally dumped it....I mean HE GAVE IT AWAY to a friend.
That is how much he likes the S1 :wink:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Niko wrote:NOOoooooo!
:shock:
That's the one I use 99.9999999999999999999% of the time.
Ditto! I drilled a hole in the bottom of my single to run a TC wire for temperature measurements. So I guess I use mine more often that Niko uses his, just not for its intended purpose. :toothy10:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Hey I just used my single basket twice today!
Once to weigh a shot of beans on a scale and another time to shoot some Cafiza into the group...
no wait, 3 times - the 3rd time was to scoop some fertilizer pellets onto the soil of a small plant in my den.
zoomin wrote: so far, however, the shots coming out are drinkable, just drinkable...
That's because of that damn single basket!
I'd rather be bitten by fleas of a thousand camels than use that basket for a week.

Update:
We can start a thread on "101 uses for the single basket" :D

Return to “VII General Q&A”