Probable new owner last questions

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
brentley

Probable new owner last questions

Post by brentley »

All
I have read just about everything available here and on cofeegeek and home-barista on the S1 and have determined that it is the machine for our household.

I will be adding a dedicated 20 AMP circuit to our kitchen for this as well as a filter setup.

But I had a last batch of questions before I placed my order.

1. Colors. Every photo on both pride pages and most on the internet seem to be of the black model. It has been suggested to me that a Red model might be more acceptable to the decorator in the house. Are the red models less attractive than the black? I did notice that they have a black band on the back but other than that it just looks like a side panel difference. Anyone got a red model? Anyone ever seen a red model? Anyone in the SF bay area own a red one?

2. Triples etc. I noticed that triple baskets were not available. How hard would it be to overload the double with 18 GR of coffee or so?

3. Tamper. Is a 53MM tamper fine or is a custom 53.5 MM tamper really the way to go?

4. Basket load. We have a dosered mazzer right now. We currently grind into the doser, drop it into a custard cup and then pour that into a portafilter (though a yogour cup). This is very clean and the decorator likes how little extra coffee goes everywhere. Anything similar for the La Spaz or do I have to somehow move to a doserless grinder?

5. Vacation. Do most people turn off the water supply completely when going on vacations? What does this mean for the return?

6. Timer, it is really expensive but it seems pretty neccesary. I am trying to make the coffee process as painless as possible for the non barista obsessed in my household.

Thanks
Brentley
Niko

Re: Probable new owner last questions

Post by Niko »

brentley wrote:1. Colors. Every photo on both pride pages and most on the internet seem to be of the black model. It has been suggested to me that a Red model might be more acceptable to the decorator in the house. Are the red models less attractive than the black? I did notice that they have a black band on the back but other than that it just looks like a side panel difference. Anyone got a red model? Anyone ever seen a red model? Anyone in the SF bay area own a red one?
Hello Brentley!
I've seen a red model and would still recommend Black (unless I see the location it's going in). The side panels would be the only thing in red and that's the only reason that held me back from getting it in that color. It looks nice but the drip tray is sill black, talk about an afterthought! Hey, I have a red kitchen so a red vivII would look good but I think it would be red-overload in my house.
brentley wrote: 2. Triples etc. I noticed that triple baskets were not available. How hard would it be to overload the double with 18 GR of coffee or so?
You can fill the double basket easily with 18 grams. We're in process of ordering custom made triple baskets from someone through this forum.
brentley wrote: 3. Tamper. Is a 53MM tamper fine or is a custom 53.5 MM tamper really the way to go?
It depends on your basket, it seems that there's a slight difference in some baskets. If you want to play on the safe side, a 53.3-53.4 would be a safer fit but I'd send a basket to whoever is making the tamper fit.
brentley wrote: 4. Basket load. We have a dosered mazzer right now. We currently grind into the doser, drop it into a custard cup and then pour that into a portafilter (though a yogour cup). This is very clean and the decorator likes how little extra coffee goes everywhere. Anything similar for the La Spaz or do I have to somehow move to a doserless grinder?
Doserless are best for home use, others can argue till their faces turn blue but too bad that's just the way it is. Period. The Mazzer Mini E Type A or B are pretty clean and above all, you get fresh grinds every time. If you have a cafe, doser is the better way to go. You shouldn't need a new grinder, your Mazzer will be fine if you're doing that yogurt cup thingy, I think it's a great idea and it sounds clean.
brentley wrote: 5. Vacation. Do most people turn off the water supply completely when going on vacations? What does this mean for the return?
I leave mine on for up to 3 weeks. Water and power is left on with no problems whatsoever. The Spaz really hates the water being interrupted and the pump will let you know by the resulting gurgling sounds. The only thing I'd worry about is the timer, make sure it is OFF.
brentley wrote: 6. Timer, it is really expensive but it seems pretty neccesary. I am trying to make the coffee process as painless as possible for the non barista obsessed in my household.
The timer is your FRIEND.
I would not skip this, even if it cost as much as a roaster....and it does!
I love the timer, I use the timer, I worship the timer...I love my timer.
Matthew

Re: Probable new owner last questions

Post by Matthew »

brentley wrote:

1. Colors. Every photo on both pride pages and most on the internet seem to be of the black model. It has been suggested to me that a Red model might be more acceptable to the decorator in the house. Are the red models less attractive than the black? I did notice that they have a black band on the back but other than that it just looks like a side panel difference. Anyone got a red model? Anyone ever seen a red model? Anyone in the SF bay area own a red one?
Thanks
Brentley
I accidentally came across this short clip @ youtube. Should give you at least some idea :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d92wmy0n ... ed&search=
Niko

Post by Niko »

Brentley,
I forgot to mention that you can (special) order a set of red side panels if you have any doubts about how black or red looks in your home.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here's a photo someone posted on the forum of a red one:

wforum/viewtopic.php?t=134http://s1cafe ... .php?t=134

...and another...

wforum/viewtopic.php?t=464

There was a guy on the forum a long time ago that wanted a red one but the red shade of the side panels clashed with his kitchen. He needed it to be a different shade of red. (For his sake we'll say his wife wanted a different shade.) :glasses10: He was so into it being perfect that his solution was to purchase the gray side panels and paint them. I know he was very pleased with the result but I can't locate that thread at the moment.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
Niko

Post by Niko »

I think Chas is talking about this guy:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espres ... 118#136118
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's it! THey don't call you the Coffee Zen Master for nothing!
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
brentley

Post by brentley »

Well
The issue has resolved itself quite handily.

The red machines are all sold out so we will be getting a black machine with a timer.

I am also going to price the side panels.

The new outlets are going to be installed this friday and we are going to be pulling shots when the machine arrives sometime next week.

thanks everyone, and I will post once I get the machine.
Niko

Post by Niko »

That's nice to hear.
I'm curious about how much $ the side panels are, I inquired about it once but I never got an answer (and I really didn't push for it). It wasn't just a curiosity, I would really install red panels on one of my machines.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

When I bought my machine in April I asked about the red panels and I believe that they cost $84 each.
Niko

Post by Niko »

So it's a total of $168?
Wow, I knew they'd be a little pricey...but well worth it if you need a red machine.
algrilli

Post by algrilli »

Hi Brentley
Re #1 (Color): I saw both the red and grey in person and IMO you probably would not consider them at all.

Quick story: My wife and I love Italian styling, so we were very open to the idea of having a red Spaziale in our kitchen; we thought it would be reminiscent of a hot red Italian sports car and maybe perk-up the kitchen. Nothin' doin'! When we were at Chris' Coffee, Mary asked if we would like to see the panels. She disappeared for quite a while and returned with both the red and grey. Now, I know it's a question of personal taste, but trust me, the tint of the red is just off. It's not a true red, like candy-apple or fire-engine, but more of an orangey red; not even like a Chinese or muted red, but more like the sun-faded red of a Fisher-Price outdoor toy.

Tell the decorator they're really not missing anything. I don't even think it would work in one of those really modern, urban kitchens. Too bad. And the grey is very bland. The hue is too light; makes your $2,000 machine look like an infant car seat. Unfortunately, their color selections really aren't sophisticated enough to do this excellent machine any justice.

Re #6 (Timer) I thought I really wanted the timer, but I found I don't miss it at all. I turn the machine ON at 11PM and it's OFF by around 7 AM (except weekends). I have the 20 amp version, so even though the brew group only takes about 5 minutes to heat up, I like to just leave it on. And if you're a person who keeps the group on 24/7, then you're only about 8-9 minutes away from steam anyway. Works for me because I don't usually need to steam.
Last edited by algrilli on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'd almost trade my 2nd car for a timer on my older Vivaldi. I thought I could live without it and I did until I got the VII, in fact that was a major reason why I got the VII. I can always hack the S1 to add a home made timer but it just isn't as glamorous with the catchy logo on it (yes, I'm a name-brand whore).
It's nice that some people can live without it, I know I CAN'T.

...my sister tells me that her husband gets up early every AM in his Boxers to turn the Spaz on before crawling back in bed.

It sure is nice to sleep in........

Return to “VII General Q&A”