How to have a good 'day 1' experience w/ my new V2?

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
keithcutter

How to have a good 'day 1' experience w/ my new V2?

Post by keithcutter »

I'm pretty excited that my V2 should be here next week. I'm thinking about how to have a good 'day 1' experience.

I've got a dedicated 20A circuit with a surge protector at the ready. I have a RO water system installed and the correct plumbing on it's way from Chris' in order to tap into the RO water. I've got enough space reserved on the kitchen counter. Got a good grinder; tamper; pitcher; cups; saucers; digital timer; thermometer. I'll order a couple pounds of beans to arrive the same day as the machine so I'll have plenty of beans to get everything dialed-in. I'll have some whole milk on hand. I've already read the owner's manual for the V2 online. So, am I ready? What am I forgetting?

I'm thinking that when the machine gets here I'll want to fill and empty both boilers a couple of times to get any residual 'industrial taste' out of the system before I make my first drinks. Is this needed? How would you completely fill and empty the boilers?

Is there anything else I should do w/ the machine before putting it into service?

TIA

Keith
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Sounds like you are truly ready! I filled my boilers and pulled shots right away and I think you don't need to go through draining them. I am not sure how you would do that anyway except unhook your fill and run the hot water perhaps? I would skip that in any event.

If your fresh beans need a few days rest before grinding - maybe get them ahead of time.

Enjoy - and keep us informed!

Evan
Niko

Re: How to have a good 'day 1' experience w/ my new V2?

Post by Niko »

keithcutter wrote: Is there anything else I should do w/ the machine before putting it into service?
Just run a bunch of blank shots through, purge the steam boiler by tapping out some water from the tap.
You'll be dialing in the machine anyways so a bunch more water will purge the boilers enough to get rid of any foul tastes.
keithcutter

Day 1

Post by keithcutter »

How about getting the machine dialed-in?

1) What's a good starting point on the 53mm basket for number of grams to pull a double?

2) How do you use the programmable water dosing feature while you're still dialing-in the grind, quantity and tamp of the espresso?

3) Once the machine is dialed-in; with regard to the volumetric dosing; do you really rely on this feature to stop the extraction at the right place, or do you program it to go long with the intention of observing each extraction and manually ending the extraction at the proper time?
Sleepless

Post by Sleepless »

I've been filling my pf by volume for now - and adjusting to the proper tamp depth as I tamp down the grounds.
As far as the volumetric dosing, I have been relying on that to pull a full shot and adjusting my grind to get the right timing.

I just got my VII a short while ago and it is rock solid and the one thing that is no longer a variable in my espresso making. Of course, once I am more experienced with it, I will be playing with brew temps for different roasts and blends.

Congratulations on the great purchase and use it well.

- Steve
Niko

Re: Day 1

Post by Niko »

keithcutter wrote:How about getting the machine dialed-in?

1) What's a good starting point on the 53mm basket for number of grams to pull a double?
It depends on the grinder used.
Mazzer: 16-18 grams
MACAP: 15-17 grams
I'm using my doserless grinders for example.
keithcutter wrote: 2) How do you use the programmable water dosing feature while you're still dialing-in the grind, quantity and tamp of the espresso?
When you're ready to program it, dial it in for about 2 oz. on the double cup button. Program it for 1 oz. on the single, if you don't pull singles you can do what a lot of people do, they program it for long pulls for cleaning purposes.
keithcutter wrote: 3) Once the machine is dialed-in; with regard to the volumetric dosing; do you really rely on this feature to stop the extraction at the right place, or do you program it to go long with the intention of observing each extraction and manually ending the extraction at the proper time?
Yes and No.
You do whatever suits your personal use, the volumetric dosing is an excellent feature in a small commercial setting where you constantly pull the same blend out of a machine with the same settings over and over.
I program the machine for slightly longer than 2 oz doubles and always manually cut the extraction as soon as it starts to blonde.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Sleepless wrote:Of course, once I am more experienced with it, I will be playing with brew temps for different roasts and blends.
This was one of the main reasons I got the Vivaldi.
You should really start exploring the temperature surfing soon, it's very addicting!
keithcutter

Awful first day; Awsome second day!

Post by keithcutter »

OK, my first day was awful! I waited patiently for my new machine to make it's way across the continent, it was scheduled for delivery July 3rd. Great, except I was working a 24 hour shift that day. Can you imagine KNOWING the machine was at home and not being able to play with it???

OK, so first day was awful because I couldn't use the machine that had finally arrived.

On the next day we've got this big 4th of July party planned at a friend's house down by the river. I'm thinking I'll get home from work at 9AM and have like 3 hours before we have to leave for the party.

Based on what I've read about other's experiances, I figured there was no way I could get a shot of espresso before going to the party.

Then to make matters worse, I'm scheduled for another 24 hour shift tomorrow!

This is where my awful first day turned into an awsome second day! In less than 2 hours I unpacked the boxes; took a few photos; ran a new water line (temporary) from my RO unit (John Guest is awsome); preheated boilers; and pulled my first shot.

So, this is amazing to me. I'm thinking it would take lots longer to get to this point. I really didn't expect to have anything drinkable because I thought it would take a long time to 'get things dialed-in'.

Anyway, out comes this perfect-looking double (no channeling; beautiful ribbons in a thick mouse tail) in 27 seconds from some two-week-old Peets Espresso Forte through my bottomless portafilter. I'm scratching my head thinking, "What just happened?"

I thought I'd be making sink shots for an hour. I thought the 2 week old Peets was just practice beans to get the grind close. Now I'm really perplexed. Am I supposed to drink this? The first shot out of my new machine? No, way! But it looks so good. Maybe a little sip. MMMmm!
Goooood!

In only two hours I got the machine installed and made the best shots I've ever made at home in my 25 years of making espresso at home. It was ....... too easy.

I was expecting all kinds of difficulty getting V2 dialed-in. I thought I'd have lots of channeling problems at least. Aaah, guys?!? It was easy.

Since it was still before noon, I got the steaming pitcher. In like, 6/1000s of a second (OK, I'm exagerating now, but it was fast) I had this awsome, sweet, creamy foam with which I made the whole family capuccinos. I've got a long way to go w/ my milk technique on V2, but I made really good caps on my brand new machine in less than three hours.

Now the whole family is waiting to go to the party, and I'm thinking about how I might feel if I have my 3rd double espresso in as many hours. Whadda ya think? Should I? One for the road???
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yeah!
One more for the road sounds good!
...this might teach the rest of them to leave you at home next time, but that's OK since you have the Vivaldi to hang around with. Who needs parties anyway?
I had the same 1st day experience with mine, some of us are lucky and others aren't. I also came from another machine where I had to really work at getting drinkable espresso so the S1 was a real joy to work with right away.

Now I have a birthday party to go to......
My S1 turned 1 today! I hooked him up last 4th of July so it's time to change the filters and throw a party hat on his cup warmer and sing. :occasion4:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

:occasion1: :thumbup:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
algrilli

Post by algrilli »

Congratulations on your new machine! I agree, using this machine is SO EASY it's incredible! My last machine (single boiler, vibe pump, E61) was so noisy and finicky pulling a simple shot, that I always came away exasperated. Not any more. Now, building a drink is fun, if not therapeutic. And the espresso is delicious!

Re #1: Below are some starting points that work for me. I'm still pretty new at this (1.5 months) so they're pretty basic. The machine is pretty forgiving. My struggles have always been with beans and the grinder, never the V2. Lately, I've been comparing results at home to what I get in New York at the Blue Spoon Cafe and 9th Street Espresso (they use Black Cat and Toscano respectively). I have to say, the V2 shots come amazingly close!

Constants:
Tamp: 30lbs (using Espro tamper)
Volume: 1.75oz for a double
Brew Pressure: appx 8.2

Doses for Double Shot:
Intelligentsia Black Cat, 14-15g, Temp 93
Counter Culture Toscano 15g, Temp 93
Counter Culture Aficionado 15g, Temp 95 as recommended
(note: I suspect my grind is finer and dose is less than others')

Very challenging (or almost impossible) pulls:
-Stumptown, Hairbender
-Counter Culture, Espresso Forte
-Starbucks, any blend

My good shots usually take 20-32 seconds. I prefer the long end. Foul-ups can be as short as 16 or as long as 42 seconds. Most mistakes from the V2 are still drinkable though.

Re#2: I would set the volumetric dosing based on a reasonably good pour and just leave it. You can continue to dial in the grind, dose and tamp. You can always re-adjust the volume later on.

Re#3: I rely on the Spaz to stop the shot. If the bean is dialed in and the timing is basically in the range, I'm happy. I only watch for outliers -like 16 or 42 seconds - then I know there's a problem. Otherwise, I don't watch for blonding, use the naked portafilter, or try to control the extraction much. I know many folks enjoy that, but I delegate that responsiblity to La Spaziale. As for me and my house, we will savor the results ;)
keithcutter

Post by keithcutter »

Well, in case you're curious -- I did have that third shot before leaving for the party...

Today I'm enjoying my second day with my V2 and I thought I'd put together a little photo essay representing my machine setup which you can view on the 'pride' page. Hope you enjoy!

Return to “VII General Q&A”