New machine on the way- cooling flush

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
ebprod

New machine on the way- cooling flush

Post by ebprod »

My new V2 is on the way from Chris Coffee. I have used an Isomac Relax for the last 3 years. I have the cooling flush on the Relax down pretty well, but the lack of a precise temperature control is one of the reasons for the upgrade.

Is a cooling flush (warming?) necessary on the Vivaldi? How different is the procedure? Does the portafilter get hot while the machine is idle?

I will have more questions once I get the machine.

-Joe
Niko

Post by Niko »

Welcome Joe!

The Vivaldi needs a warming flush to bring the group up to temp. The PF does warm up really well if you leave it on the group for about a half an hour. The cups on top of the warmer get nice and toasty also in that amount of time. If you want everything really, really hot, program the timer (if you got it) to be turning the machine on at least 45 minutes before using.

The procedure is really easy, run a 1oz blank shot through the PF, remove the PF (dry it) and grind your coffee into the basket with a nice distribution and tamp. You're ready to Lock & Load, if you like taking your time a little more with the grinding and tamping part, you can run another quick blank shot to keep the group up to temp right before locking in the PF.
Before locking in a loaded PF, dry the group (I'm sure you already do this with your Isomac).

Nice to have you with us!
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

I'm sure I will get the hang of it pretty quickly. I assume that the water in the boiler is alway the right temperature, and the only reason for the flush is to warm up the group.

How much time can elapse before needing a flush? On my Isomac it only takes about a minute of idle time before it gets too hot again.

-Joe
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'd say about 5 minutes (roughly).
If you're hosting a party and you're pulling many shots, the machine will never cool down, however, if it remains idle for more than 5 minutes it's going to need another kick start.
This machine is all about temperature control and stability, it does these things extremely well.

...and it steams milk too.

Return to “VII General Q&A”