illy coffee

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
michael

illy coffee

Post by michael »

does anyone have any experience using illy medium roast beans; if so, are there any temperature recommendations or grinding recommendations for the mini mazzer dosserless grinder 8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

I would try a notch tighter than usual on the Mazzer and start at 93C.
michael

illy

Post by michael »

Niko wrote:I would try a notch tighter than usual on the Mazzer and start at 93C.
by a notch tighter, you mean finer?

have you used these beans?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yes, a little finer.
I have used these beans before but it's been a couple of years so I'm going by memory.
I usually take notes on my coffee expeditions but this one dates way back.
This is based on the lighter looking medium roasted beans which are a little on the light side. I've tried some Illy last year when I was in Europe, that stuff is actually way different than what we get here in the States, it tastes better (probably because I was on vacation) because everything tasted better there.
michael

illy coffee

Post by michael »

what i like about the illy, is the lighter roast and it seems to be on the lower caffine end as compared to some coffees i have tried lately

93 degrees was good, but i found 94 to be better

maybe the beans we get here are a little old 8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

The lighter the roast, the more caffeine a bean will have...

Sometimes the mellow flavors will deceive but if you're not careful, caffeine will creep up on you in some roasts.
And speaking about old, some roasts are kept on the shelves for over 2 years.
michael

light roasts

Post by michael »

strange, but i have always found the darker roasts, particularly the shiny, oily ones to have more caffeine than the lighter brown roasts 8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

When beans get roasted darker, the bean character gets lost to the roast character and it takes the caffeine with it.
logicfix

Post by logicfix »

I've always been told that the caffeine resides on the surface of the bean, and it is burned off the longer it is roasted. Hence the darker the roast, the less caffeine.

I've also found that this is a good way to identify poser coffee shops and brands. The "morning" roast should always be light to conserve caffeine. Posers cater to the market perception that darker roast have more caffeine the same way that a shot of espresso perceived to have more caffeine than a cup of coffee.

...and the cattle keep buying frappuccinos.
Richard

Re: illy coffee

Post by Richard »

michael wrote:what i like about the illy, is the lighter roast
You might, then, be pleased with George Howell's single-origin espressos, available online from Terroir Select Coffees, http://www.terroircoffee.com/.
Niko

Post by Niko »

logicfix wrote: ...and the cattle keep buying frappuccinos.
What's a frapinmychino? :?

Return to “VII General Q&A”