Behaviour when backflushing

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
MDL
Barista

Behaviour when backflushing

Post by MDL »

I received my VII from Chris in early April and have only backflushed twice; the first time using the rubber disk provided with the machine and yesterday with a stainless disk purchased from Espresso Parts (as suggested on the forum).

Neither time did the machine flash the LEDs to indicate overpressure. Am I not running the pump long enough? I certainly get very strong backflushing of Cafiza sudsy water out into the driptray.

Any suggestions from folks who have more experience would be appreciated.
ScottW
Espresso

Post by ScottW »

It takes quite a while for the machine to display the "no flow" indication. If you let the pump run with the blind portafilter in, it will eventually flash the lights -- but I usually don't let it go that long. It builds up plenty of pressure to backflush long before the lights flash.

One comment for anyone wanting a blind basket. I bought mine from EspressoParts (Olympia, wa) and it was $11.49. I later found what appears to be the same thing at Espresso Supply (Seattle, wa) for $3.95. Another example -- a Europa 12oz pitcher is $46 at EspressoParts, but only $34 at Espresso Supply.

Espresso Supply does have a minimum $50 purchase, but as long as you can meet that their prices appear much better than EspressoParts.

...Scott
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Thanks for your comments. I was surprised by how expensive the blind basket was at Espresso Parts, but I needed it and that was the link that I knew of.
Niko

Post by Niko »

and you can get a Europa 16oz pitcher for only $31.25 at Visions Espresso.
ScottW
Espresso

Post by ScottW »

Niko wrote:and you can get a Europa 16oz pitcher for only $31.25 at Visions Espresso.
Good price -- but they carry Alessi too. If I shopped there, I'd talk myself into that gorgeous Alessi 17oz at $97. :lol:
Niko

Post by Niko »

Scott,
Talk to me before ordering any Alessi.
I have 4 of those beautiful, drop-dead gorgeous, mouth-watering Alessi pitchers...and I wouldn't trade them for anything! I have a Europa and those don't even come close to the Alessi quality.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I've been using the bumper pitcher and really like it; can't compare to an Alessi because I've never used one.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Got one of those too!
Nice pitcher but the Alessi is still immortal...it's handmade.

Return to “VII General Q&A”