Darned steam wand!

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
italyhound

Darned steam wand!

Post by italyhound »

This is the only piece of the VII that I really don't care for. I have better dealt with the scaldings than I have with the pesky rubber ring for my 2 hole tip. The ridges get all mucked up.

Unless the ring is perfectly snug, it sprays water through the space between the arm and the tip. If you clean it too much, same thing. It seems that dried milk helps to bolster the loose seal but it gets gross looking quickly.

So this morning the ring gets dislodged when my wife wipes it down after a steam. Now I am offline for a few days waiting for a new ring (my second).

Any thoughts, shared experiences or fixes perhaps from anyone?
Niko

Post by Niko »

The only thing I hate about this steam wand is the size, it's too small to really sink it in bigger pitchers than 17oz, it works OK with 20's but you really can't sink it deep enough to get that milk rolling like it should. I've steamed 25oz's with it but it just isn't the same as the perfect 17's.
Aside from having weird debris shooting out of my steam wand, the size just isn't perfect for my steam-abilities.

Can you post a pic of that troublesome thing you're talking about? I've never experienced that.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Did your VII come with the 2-hole tip? I've never seen an S1/VII come with a two hole tip. Iniitially they came with a 4 hole tip that everyone disliked so Chris switched to a 3 hole, then finally he came up with a new 4 hole design that is the standard one shipping now as far as I know.

So unless you got a wierd one that came with a 2 hole tip I assume you have a four hole tip you can switch too until the new washer arrives???
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I received my VII in early April and it certainly has a 4-hole tip. I can't see the O-ring at all when the tip is screwed into the wand. As you screw the tip onto the wand you should feel a springy resistance when the O-ring starts to be compressed. You should not need to tighten it tremdously tight.

It sounds to me as if you may have a wand that has the end finished incorrectly, or a tip that is not quite right so that the O-ring doesn't seat and get compressed correctly. The O-ring should not show and is needed to seal the connection between the wand and the tip.

Sounds like you need to talk with Chris or someone else there about this.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I'm guessing this is what ItalyHound must have. You can see the rubber gasket between the two hole tip and the adapter. This tip has female threads and requires a male to male adapter to use it with the S1 or VII.

When milk dries in those grooves it's a real PITA to clean. Chris used to carry one that was completely smooth and for a long time after they started shipping this one, they still had a picture of the smooth one on their website.

Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Indeed that is my tip, Chas. This tip, according to Chris, is not designed for the VII but I found the 4 hole way too strong. He now sells one without the ridges but it still has the O ring adapter to deal with. He said to try some teflon tape perhaps? Would that hold the spray back?

What I did tonight was take the 4 hole tip and break off a toothpick into 2 of the 4 holes. Still it is so so so powerful when barely moving the knob. I generally steam 4 oz in a 12 oz pitcher and even with that volume most goes down the drain. I would like to avoid wasting even more by going to larger volumes of milk..

Maybe the answer is to adjust to steaming in like - seriously - 5-8 seconds?? There is no room for any error at that speed and volume. First try was all soap suds.

Thoughts??
Niko

Post by Niko »

You have to feather it ever so slightly.
I steam 3 oz's of milk in a 8oz pitcher with a little effort, I know it's an absolute steaming monster but the beast can be tamed. The 3-hole tip is slower than the 4-hole but it has tremendous force going outwards at a wierd angle. One is good at rolling milk while the other whirlpools it really well.
Next I'll try 1oz in an oversized thimball and see what happens, I'm not bragging, trust me, yesterday I sprayed the kitchen wall slighty when I was steaming in a 12oz pitcher. You just have to practice with water, lots of practice until you get it tamed. One slight wrong move and...I know what you mean.
Another thing you can try is shut the steam boiler off when it gets up to pressure, then relieve it slightly, shut it off and start steaming. This way you don't have full power.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I routinely steam 4 oz. of milk in a 12 oz. pitcher using the 4-hole tip on a VII. It took me a bit to get accustomed to it, but once you get the feel it just stretches the milk and is great in a very few seconds (as Niko has pointed out in other posts).

My suggestion is to practice and learn to use the 4-hole tip. The issue is becoming proficient at utilizing the power of the machine with a tip that helps you once you get it under control.

Good luck...
Niko

Post by Niko »

See!
...Now you have support and a cheering section.
We're rooting for you, go and give it a try with water. Over and over, you'll get it.
Trust us...
We know, we've been there.
algrilli

Post by algrilli »

I agree with MDL. I've had my machine for just over a week. I've been practicing steaming every night after work. Doing 6oz in a 20oz pitcher is fine, but I'm also trying to do about 3 oz in an 8oz pitcher for small cappucinos. Sometimes I do it right, sometimes I don't.

Immediately I started thinking "OK, I need to order a 2 hole tip, pitchers in several sizes, and I"ll need to learn how and when to swap the tips out..." and then I just stopped myself thought "NO, I'm not doing it." The 4 hole is what came with the machine. I'm just going to have to train myself to use the equipment as is, with no modifications. Thats' how they sold it.

And it's not like it's an impossibility to do. It just takes some finessing. I'm having fun practicing and it's interesting to learn the nuances of the steam valve. Down the line when I really know what my needs are, I can always order a different tip.

I'll tell you one thing: I'm just glad this tip not ribbed like my last one. It's very smooth and easy to clean; and it doesn't keep unscrewing.

By the way, I have my wife trained not to keep asking if I think we'll need more milk. I told her "for now, just keep bringing back a gal of milk everytime you go...yes a gallon."
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Glad to hear your experiences. I was doing great stuff, even consistent art, with the 2 hole but it would be nice not to deal with the leakage issues and for that reason I will take your encouragement to heart and get in gear training on the standard 4 hole tip. Looks like it can be done.

I assume no one is sticking toothpicks in any of these holes. I thought I read that trick in here, perhaps it wsa HB.

Evan
Niko

Post by Niko »

Evan,
You are correct, it was posted on this forum about the toothpick trick. I think it was bobroseman who wrote it a few years ago.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Perhaps I am paranoid, but I would not be comfortable putting toothpic pieces into the holes for fear that they would get blown out and poured into a drink thereby potentially choking someone.
Niko

Post by Niko »

And imagine how nasty the milk can build up on the wood pieces...
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

The VII was definately a bit of a beast compared to my Gaggia when I first got her. Stick with the stock steam tip, like Niko I have learned to love the extra steam. A couple of caps in the morning come off the line in a heartbeat.

Cheers

Ian
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

I will forgo latte art for a while and eat some humble pie.

Got 4 oz of sea-foamy milk today in literally about 5 seconds. I pulled out the toothpicks BTW tonight. It's not like it is likely to make that big a difference anyway. One thing I noticed is how unbearably hot the pitcher got almost instantly.

What the heck though - I am all for a new challenge. It was getting pretty effortless to make great everythings on the VII. How boring :wink:

Evan
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Don't fret; just practice. You have to be right on and fast with the VII when you steam (particularly small quantities like 4 oz) but once you get the hang of it you just feel great and can race along. For me the trick is all in starting off with care and getting to the correct depth immediately. The steam is so intense that you are lost if you don't get it right immediately.
Enjoy yourself and don't worry, you will get it and you will feel good when you do!
Niko

Post by Niko »

I can confirm that the hardest part is the very start and at what depth you sink the tip in. In the smaller pitchers, you should try feathering it open smoooooothly, once you have that "CH-ch-CH" going, LET IT RIP and tame the savage beast by sinking that wand all the way down. You won't have time to think so don't bother thinking. Think Zen...and clear your head and the microfoam will be yours.
Don't worry, no Yoga moves required just follow the flow of the steam - if it starts going crazy on you just remember to sink the wand in, the milk can't jump out at you if that wand is way down there. The big mistake would be to not cut off the steam in time to not burn your hand on the pitcher and scald your milk all at the same time. We've all done that....
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

That is good advice, Niko. I will let you know how it goes. This morning at least it went better. I have been used to ch-ch .. for a few seconds.., then sink ..and ... wait til the thermometer reaches the zone. This tip is probably more of a ch-SINK operation indeed! Today the milk stretched almost over the rim (4 oz in 12 ozer) so I am going to try again in the morning more in tune to your suggetion. Hey, it is already better today than yesterday.

Evan
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

I am almost completely caught up to speed now with the 4 tip and I bow to all in this thread (besides me).

I even got some latte 'cave' art today. It seems like all you really want is a split NY second of CH-CH-CH and then sinking the tip otherwise its too foamy. With each try I have introduced air less and less and less.

Talk about instant gratification - it's fast!!!!

Evan
Niko

Post by Niko »

Did you guys hear that......?

Sshhhh....listen.

Here comes that Lean, Mean, Steaming Machine named Evan.
Nice work, I knew you'd do it in no time.

Return to “VII General Q&A”