how much ground coffee

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
michael

how much ground coffee

Post by michael »

how much coffee do you put in a double shot. i'm using a mini mazzer electronic and when i do a double shot at the unadjusted setting, it doesn't seem like a lot of coffee for the holder, even less when i tamp it down. i saw an article suggesting that a double shot should contain 15 grams of coffee, but that seems to be a lot. does anyone have a suggestion?

what is the preferred grind setting on the mini mazzer electronic and the preferred temperature on the VII for the black cat espresso blend
8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

Try dosin' it to about 16-17 grams and see what you get, it really depends on the coffee type. I haven't pulled Black cat in a while but I would try 94-95 degrees brew temp.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I have been using the single-shot basket as a bean measure. As noted by other folks, a level fill of the single-shot basket results in a nice fill of the double-basket before tamping. I fill the single, grind those beans and dispense all into the double for each pull.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Michael,
After learning that you're using a Mazzer Mini E doserless, I want to mention that I need to use more beans in the Mazzer compared to my MACAP doserless. When I use 16 grams in the MACAP, it pretty much fills the basket whereas compared to the Mazzer with the same bean I have to use almost 1.5 grams more. I assume the Mazzer holds back a tiny bit 'o beans in it, on the MACAP I manage to sweep out every morsel with a chopstick so nothing gets left behind.
Martin

Re: how much ground coffee

Post by Martin »

michael wrote: how much coffee do you put in a double shot. i'm using a mini mazzer electronic and when i do a double shot at the unadjusted setting, it doesn't seem like a lot of coffee for the holder, even less when i tamp it down. i saw an article suggesting that a double shot should contain 15 grams of coffee, but that seems to be a lot. does anyone have a suggestion?

what is the preferred grind setting on the mini mazzer electronic and the preferred temperature on the VII for the black cat espresso blend
8)
I've got an older mini doser converted to doserless with OME chute. I measure grounds per shot at 17+ and then level to get to very close (but not less than) 16. Light tamp. I recall grinding BC pretty tight. It did very well with longer pulls (30 sec and up) but under 25-27, not so good.
Martin
Niko

Post by Niko »

Martin,
Did you install one of these on your Mazzer?

ImageThis one is from EPNW.
Does it work well?
It looks very similar to the MACAP doserless version.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Is that a clip to hold a bag when you want to grind right into a bag? Nice touch!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yes it is a nice touch indeed. It looks very similar to MACAP's, I thought it was for their grinders but then realized I was perusing the Mazzer section. Makes me want to find a nice used Super Jolly or Major to throw that thing on.
Looks like the new electronic doserless MACAP might be available by mid-August. Yours truly will have to get one of those...I can't wait! It's going to be a party of the doserless'.
Only bad thing is the price might be around the 700 mark, depending on that damn Dollar (I stopped blaming the Euro long ago). Depending on how "good" the grinder is though, I'd probably stick with a Mazzer at that price point. The major thing that makes MACAPs so attractive is their price vs. Mazzer but when they start charging the same I think people will lean towards Mazzer.
fxdxt

Post by fxdxt »

That is what I use on my mini.
If you look close you will notice that the cord does
stick out from the side. I moved it to the back where it belongs.

Tom

[/img]

Return to “VII General Q&A”