Took the leap, ordered a V2

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
4vDesmo

Took the leap, ordered a V2

Post by 4vDesmo »

I've been beating the web-bushes for a few months now, trying to convince myself to spend ridiculous $ on a new espresso machine and grinder. For me (maybe not for all of you) this is clearly a luxury, not a necessity. And as usual, I tend to not do things half way when I'm looking at new toys.

Well I stepped up to the edge of the cliff and jumped off, ordered a Vivaldi and Macap from Chris, and its supposed to be here on Tuesday. And now I'm not spending so much time looking at the various machines, but I am spendng more time looking at the UPS tracking page (hey, the delivery date could change!). And then I signed up on this forum for moral (?) support and all.

This all feels a bit foolish, coming from the tinker toy machine I've had. It was a gift from an old girlfriend, and was around a lot longer than she was, but it served its purpose sort of. I probably would have been wiser to take a less drastic step up, but once its installed I doubt I'll miss the extra money.

I still need to get my granite counter drilled (horrors) and swap out an outlet for the 20A plug, but thought I'd wait until it gets here to be sure I get it in the best spot. Of course that will slow me down a bit in my rush to try it out, but best not to make a mistake with an electric drill. My hook up will probably look a bit Frankenstein-ish until I decide where it's going to live, because I'm not sure I'll be able to wait to try it out when it shows up.

I am hoping it shows up in good shape. UPS (which stands for United Parcel Smashers, according to one post I read) likes to have their way with everything else they deliver to me.

I suspect I've got a lot to learn in the next weeks. Please bear with me!

C-ya!
Steve
Niko

Post by Niko »

We welcome you Steve.
It'll take about 5 minutes for the foolishness to wear off, or however long it takes you to uncrate the beast out of the box.
See if you can drill into your walls to avoid drilling into your nice granite counter. I know people have done that to avoid drilling into nice slabs or tile.

So, what other machines were you looking into before you chose the Vivaldi?
4vDesmo

Post by 4vDesmo »

Well my upgrade desire started out relatively cheap and got progressively worse. First up was the Silvia. Then I decided I'd quickly want something more, so I started thinking either Oscar or Anita, and then the extra features of the Andreja started looking nice (what's with all the female names, anyway?). But Oscar seemed a bit limited, and the all-chrome look of the others wasn't really going to work well in my all-black kitchen. And to be honest I was wondering about buying something that was only available from one source (Chris' being the importer of the Quickmill stuff).

Then I backed off the price tag a bit, and was thinking about a Bezzera BZ02 - decent reviews, supposed to be the same as a Pasquini, not all chrome. But still I was afraid I'd end up wanting more. Yet everything I was looking at had some compromise to it, some missing feature, looked too industrial, etc.

And then the 'just go for it' attitude took hold and I started seriously looking at the S1. The price differential from the Andreja to the S1 was significant (price of a grinder) but not entirely out of the question. So I called Chris' and talked to Mary, who did a terrible job of talking me OUT of buying the S1 like she did with the Oscar a few weeks earlier.

And here I am today, waiting on my new toy. It is a long way from the plastic/pressurized-PF thing on my counter at the moment, but I'm willing to learn to use and live with a real machine.

Counting the days,
Steve
Niko

Post by Niko »

The Anita is a very nice machine, I have one of those too. The Andreja Premium is just a fancier version of the Anita, a family member had that one - he now upgraded to an S1 and it's "night and day" difference to him.

You made a wise choice because most of those machines you mentioned will leave you wanting more down the road. I'm surprised I didn't hear "Brewtus II" from you. Some people always grind it out between the S1 and that machine.
You're also going to love being plumbed-in, imagine never having to refill another tank for water!
The Oscar is a steam machine, I actually regret not looking more into it when I got the Anita, I had it narrowed down between those two machines and the Oscar would kill Anita in steaming. What's with all the female names you ask?
...Well, they're Italian! Italians are passionate about coffee, music and love; it shows in their espresso machine technology.

And like you said in your 1st post, "you will have a lot to learn". Who knows, you might surprise yourself and click with your new machine right away. The S1 really isn't much different in principle compared to other machines, in fact I use the same exact techinques on my E61 machine and it works really well. If you have the basics, you're already a step ahead of someone who has never owned and espresso machine. Yes, some people bought an S1 as their 1st machine!
Weska

Post by Weska »

Good job, 4vDesmo, in choosing the Vivaldi. I jumped from a Gaggia Classic to the S1 and have zero regrets. After some nine months with it, it still occasionally makes me smile when I realize what a smooth operator it is.

Enjoy.
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

Welcome aboard Steve. Good choice of machines. I had a Gaggia forever before buying the S1 VII. Really no comparison between the two machines. I still use the Gaggia in my vacation home. Wow, it reminds me of just how much I love the S1. Will look forward to a few pics when you get her installed.

Cheers

Ian

PS You might want to go through the backsplash instead of the granite tops. That's what I did and it worked out great.
4vDesmo

Post by 4vDesmo »

All,
Thanks for reinforcing the decision on the S1. Sure hope I can tame it without too much hassle. One thing is sure - it will be more capable than I am, since my current machine is really just posing as an espresso machine.

I'm really struggling with the water connection issue. I don't really want to drill the granite, but I'm not sure I can get thru the wall and down under the sink where my RO system is. The sink is on a peninsula/bar, so there is minimal backsplash and it too is granite. I might have a way into the wall adjacent, but I'll have to remove my dishwasher to see if I can see the wall next to it, behind cabinetry.

My other consideration was to move it across the room to a different counter that is next to my pantry, then go thru the wall into the pantry and set up a 5gal jug with a Flojet. Power for the pump would be my issue there, but at least a wall is easily repaired.

This is why I'm waiting until it gets here. Find a good space for it and commit to the hole-drilling after getting a visual. This will all work out fine of course, and then I'll wonder what all the fuss was about as I'm playing the new toy. If I don't find some guinea pigs, I'm going to have a serious caffeine buzz working pretty soon.

Anyone coming to Vegas and want to train a new guy?

Steve
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'd say start training on on decaf :lol: , but it doesn't pour the same so it would defeat the purpose of trying learn a new machine.
I was down in Vegas for a wedding, too bad you didn't have the machine then. I would've loved to stop by for some real coffee, hit 2 birds with 1 stone, go to a wedding and drink quality espresso on the same trip.

I would avoid drilling into your counter at all costs, go into a wall or backsplash before thinking of going into the counter. Good thing about espresso machines is that the plumbing is underneath so you can direct the hose anywhere.
4vDesmo

Post by 4vDesmo »

Niko,
I flew into San Carlos & stayed in Burlingame for a weekend 6 weeks ago - if only I had known, you might have had a visitor. Just there seeing friends, after LIVING there for 18 years (San Mateo, Foster City, Belmont). Seemed more like coming home.

Decaf might get a strong nod for experimentation. At least I can keep trying, and as I improve switch to the real deal. I know I won't be able to do much learning and keep from bouncing off the walls with real coffee.

Steve
Niko

Post by Niko »

You're going to have to look me up next time you're in town since I'm right in between San Carlos and Burlingame.
You flew into San Carlos? You must be flying your own plane or you hired someone because that's a small airport. I've taken several helicopter flights out of there in the past to do some aerial pics.

I was down in Vegas for my cousin's wedding, he's from Belmont, shortly after that he moved down there.
4vDesmo

Post by 4vDesmo »

Yeah, I flew myself - its the only way to go, I highly recommend it! Within a 500-600 miles radius, its faster and way more convenient than the airlines.

No espresso machine on board, though.

Return to “VII General Q&A”