VIDEO: Water Drains From Brewhead After Pull / Pump Chirps

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
StuBaby

VIDEO: Water Drains From Brewhead After Pull / Pump Chirps

Post by StuBaby »

This is a f/u from a previous post of mine in this section. During the pull, I hear a chirping sound that seems to come from the pump, not the motor. I believe it's getting louder over time but I can't be certain. Best I can tell, the brew group pressure gauge beats in sync ever so slightly with the chirping wave pattern. Brew pressure is otherwise stable. After the solennoid ends the shot, either via flowmeter or a second push of the button, water ejects from the 3-way valve outlet as if I were backflushing. When I take off the PF, water drains from the brew head. Mind you, I'm getting a two ounce pull in around 28 secs using 15.5gms of grind and 30 lbs of tamping pressure (bathroom scale). I'm not getting the flashing lights you see when backflushing, except when I am actually backflushing.

Just so there is no confusion in my presentation, I have shot a one minute clip pulling a double so you can see and hear what I'm talking about.

http://rapidshare.com/users/VSWK57
This is a 6mb download so dial-up users beware. Click the FREE button to download, save to HD, and play with Windows Media Player.

Please let me know what you think. Chris has been helping me out with this as well. I'm just trying to home in on a diagnosis and replace a part instead of shipping the Spaz back to Chris. He has already offered to check it out for me if it comes down to that.

Thanks guys,
-stu
Niko

Post by Niko »

That chirpring is absolutely NOT normal, it worries me more than the drip. I'm not sure about the drip since I don't remove my portafilter as fast as you do, usually I'm pouring the milk immediately into my shots right after the shot is pulled. After that I pull the portafilter out and knock out the puck, by then it's not even muddy but rather a solid looking thing you can roll accross the counter.
I'll take a look at mine and report back about the dripping after removing the portafilter unless someone else can confirm.
Sorry to see your troubles Stu, glad you're feeling better now let's get ol' Spazzy working again soon.
StuBaby

Post by StuBaby »

Thanks for the speedy reply and the kind words, buddy. I'ts nice to know I'm not going crazy. My M.O. has not changed since getting the Spaz in December. The chirp and the drip were definately not present during the first month of use.
More will be revealed.
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

The water is normal but the chirping is not.
I just pull off the front cover to see if it's a sound that you can only heard when the cover is off. It wasn't there.
Niko

Post by Niko »

jackiechang is right, I remember now that my older S1 does drip when I immediately pull the PF out. I think it's because of the timing involved, how the pressure is still decompressing when you crank it off quickly, it causes a quick dripping session that doesn't last too long. My VII pretty much cuts off instantly after a shot but I don't think all machines are alike.
I wouldn't worry about that part, it's the damn chirping that got me.

By the way Stu, I don't know if this has anything to do with the chirping (I don't think so) but your brew pressure looks pretty low in the video. It looks as though it's hitting around the 7 bar mark, I could be wrong but I don't have my VII in front of me right now to reference.
StuBaby

Post by StuBaby »

Pressure while pulling is a hair over 8 bar, factory setting. Also keep in mind that the drip and the noise were not present during the first 6 weeks of use. Initially, the brew gauge needle was rock steady during a pull, now it undulales a little.
...Wonder if I can add sound to my avatar?
Niko

Post by Niko »

StuBaby wrote: ...Wonder if I can add sound to my avatar?
That would be cool.
Mine is hitting at 9 bar, then again I'm always pulling ristrettos so the machine is hitting a brick wall for pressure.

Return to “VII General Q&A”