fyi: Timer connection

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
Bud

fyi: Timer connection

Post by Bud »

Hearing that installing the timer after purchase could be very difficult, I called up Chris
Niko

Post by Niko »

You should snap a picture of it so we can compare it to some other machines.
Bud

Post by Bud »

hmm...
What lies beneath?:
Beneath this weird, Italian vinylized canvas, rust colored, zip-tied wrapper.

I
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Ah, it looks like they might have added a short extension cord that plugs into the circuit board. This would make it easy for upgraders. It would be a real pain to add it to mine if I hadn't purchased it that way. The timer connector on the circuit board is absolutely buried under other cables and behind pipes and assorted other plumbing.

Since Chris is probably purchasing them all without the timers and adding them only as ordered, it was probably as real pain for his techs as well without this change.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I asked Chris about this today. He said that he had LaSpaz make this change with the 2nd batch of VIIs. Originally you had to not only plug the timer directly into the control board but there was also a jumper on the board that had to be removed.

So in addition to adding the extension cord that places the timer plug right under the manometer, he also had LaSpaz replace the jumper with a switch on top of the control board box. There should be two jumpers on top of the box now - the one for switching between 15A and 20A mode and the new one for the timer.

Chris also noted that the VII should be unplugged before plugging in the timer and flipping the switch. Apparently, the control board only detects the presence of the time when power is applied.

Chris knows of no plans to change the DST dates on future timers.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
Niko

Post by Niko »

Mine was a second batch machine but I didn't see any switch for the timer on top of the control board case. I already have the timer so I had no dangling cord under the manometer, maybe I should remove the top panel to take another peek.
I'm pretty certain mine was the second batch since he ran out the first time before I placed my order, I believe he's on the 3rd batch of Vivaldi II's now.
Niko

Post by Niko »

admin wrote: So in addition to adding the extension cord that places the timer plug right under the manometer, he also had LaSpaz replace the jumper with a switch on top of the control board box. There should be two jumpers on top of the box now - the one for switching between 15A and 20A mode and the new one for the timer.
I see it! There's 2 switches on my board, It's further back towards the front of the machine but it's obvious with a ON and OFF label.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

So you have the switch but not the "extension cord"?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

I don't know if there's an extension cord or not because it came with the timer.
That switch is there for sure, I would've taken a picture of it but the machine is way under the cabinets and I couldn't angle my camera to get a good shot of it.
If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll post a pic next time the covers fly off for some troubleshooting/maintenance.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Return to “VII General Q&A”