Considering upgrade from E61 to S1

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
foreignview

Considering upgrade from E61 to S1

Post by foreignview »

Firstly, I
Niko

Post by Niko »

I think what you're experiencing in the taste difference is the brew temp.
The S1 is great for that, you can surf in any direction to get that flavor you're looking for.
As for migrating from an E61 to an S1, I've done it. The only differences I've noticed is in my hearing, as far as shot quality goes it's pretty close, but it's the control of temperature and stability where the S1 shines.
As for the steaming you've heard, I won't even go there since you stated no interest there.
But I must add about the pour over, I HATE having to pour water into an espresso machine unless I'm camping.

So, I noticed you're in the Bay Area also.
foreignview

Post by foreignview »

Niko,

thanks for responding, regarding plumb-in, I've decided that any machine I end up with is going to be plumbed-in, should've done it for Isomac long time ago. However, since my wife usually adds water to the tank in the morning it did not bother me much :)

If I had more counter space I would seriously look into getting a used single-group commercial machine but lacking the space it is S1 or maybe the LC Junior.

Yes, I'm in the Bay Area in Los Altos, where are you?

--ilya
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'm in San Mateo, just 25 minutes from you.
The Spaz is a commercial single group machine, it's become so popular that it's found in many homes now.
The Junior I wouldn't even touch just for the lack of a second boiler and besides, how's the temp stability on it? The JR does look good though and looks does count for something too.
As for used machines I was very scared to go that route unless you love to tinker, but it sounds like you do so it might not be a bad idea.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Hey Gents,

Coming from the land of a big professional machine, I can tell you that unless you go dual-boiler, the HX

Return to “VII General Q&A”