Water line diameter for plumb-in

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
Jesse

Water line diameter for plumb-in

Post by Jesse »

Hi All,

I've been exchanging emails with Niko for a few days now, and he actually convinced me to cancel my order for a GS/3 and go with a Spaz until the formers bugs get worked out.

It sounded reasonable and so I called Chris and he pulled the last one off the shelf and supposedly it is in the mail as I type.

I've sifted through the forum and not seen this question asked, so I thought it prudent to pose:

Can I use a 1/4" water line off my RO system without risking cavitation?

The boys in the tech department didn't audibly wince when I asked how to hook the machine up to 1/4" line, but rather offered to sell me a few feet of the stuff and the appropriate John Guest fittings.

Sound about right?

The RO system is a 100 gallon per day 5-stage with a 3 gallon pressurized tank (pretty standard, I think). I use it for espresso and fish tanks since we're on well water.

Have you heard of Calistoga Mineral Water? We have it on tap and it's murder on corals and coffee machines alike.

Anywho, I am hoping to skate by on the 1/4" if possible, but will go 3/8" if absolutly necessary... one doesn't want to fluster poor Spaz...

TIA,
-Jesse
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

I have a standard Watts RO system with 1/4" line run about 50 feet to:

S1
Newco Drip Machine
Water Faucet
Refrigerator

They are are split 4 times. There are no problems.

The only thing I did recently to keep up with the volume, is put in a 14 gallon tank in place of the 3 gallon. I recommend going bigger than the standard 3 gallon to be sure, since the recovery time on these things is so slow.

You can get a decent 14 gallon for $100 shipped. Add about $7 worth of PVC and a John Guest valve, and you are all set.

You can post here or PM if you are serious about pursuing this.

Chris
blacroix

Post by blacroix »

Agreed - flow rate of 1/4" line is certainly not going to be an issue unless you're going a couple hundred feet. :) The issue will be tank recovery time of that 3 gal tank. 100 gal per day is pretty good. Since you only have two devices that draw from this (fish tank and S1), I think it depends on how big your fish tank is and if you plan to pull shots when you're topping it off (you don't want to run the tank dry when the S1's pump is on - bad news). Assuming you have a good size fish tank, I would second the increased storage tank size, which might benefit your fish tank also (more water in the tank exposed to room temp, so the water going into your tank should theoretically be a bit warmer).

Let us know what you decide.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Very good idea on the tank upgrade, I have a 7 gallon (I think) RO tank in storage I will try to shove under the sink.

I was primarily concerned about the draw on the 1/4" line... but since bbqnut is doing a 4-way off his, I think this will be a non-problem.

I hope the blasted thing arrives soon. When I first ordered it the estimated delivery was late March. Now that it's in UPS' hands early, I'm all of a sudden impatient. Sigh.

Thanks v. much!
-Jesse
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Actually, it might be a good idea to use both--anyone daisy-chain RO tanks together before?

Off to query Google,
-J
triathlon61
Latte

Re: Water line diameter for plumb-in

Post by triathlon61 »

My machine was working fine until I moved to a new location. In the new place, the line in is 1/8 copper line about 12 feet long (previous owners had this hooked up to their fridge for ice making) which connects to 1/4 flex pipe. When I try a shot, the pressure gauge is almost at 0 and the pump does not seem to turn on and the water trickles out of the portafilter. Please tell me it is because of the 1/8 line!!!!!! Having this copper pipe of that diameter is the only thing that has changed so I guess that must be the problem.

md
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

It certainly sounds like the 1/8" line would be your problem. Can't say I've ever seen 1/8" copper. Can you replace that section with a standard 1/2" copper run & then take off with your 1/4" flex?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Jesse wrote:Hi All,
I've been exchanging emails with Niko for a few days now, and he actually convinced me to cancel my order for a GS/3 and go with a Spaz until the formers bugs get worked out.
Seems to be taking awhile to get those bugs out! :roll:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

JohnB wrote:
Jesse wrote:Hi All,
Seems to be taking awhile to get those bugs out! :roll:
Sounds like their marketing department ought to be fired. They drastically overestimated the number they could sell at $7,500 since they are just now selling units built almost a year ago! Or at least their US Distributor Franke did. Now if Chris was the US Distributor, I bet thinks would be way different....in a good way!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote:
Sounds like their marketing department ought to be fired. They drastically overestimated the number they could sell at $7,500 since they are just now selling units built almost a year ago! Or at least their US Distributor Franke did. Now if Chris was the US Distributor, I bet thinks would be way different....in a good way!
Absolutely! Franke seems to view the GS3 as a step child they could care less about unless this is the way they deal with the commercial clients also. They should have had those wand kits in stock ages ago & be updating the machines they have on hand. Shipping high end machines with well know vibration/noise problems is inexcusable. Just goes to show what the level of quality control in U.S. bound espresso machines would be like without importer/distributors like Chris demanding upgrades/improvements.
If the Far East ever gets serious about competing in this market the Italian home machine industry will be gone in a flash.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:If the Far East ever gets serious about competing in this market the Italian home machine industry will be gone in a flash.
For some reason, the thought of a double boiler Breville doesn't make me run for my wallet.. :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote:
JohnB wrote:If the Far East ever gets serious about competing in this market the Italian home machine industry will be gone in a flash.
For some reason, the thought of a double boiler Breville doesn't make me run for my wallet.. :lol:
I said gets serious! Everyone laughed when the first Japanese motorcycles showed up here in the late 50's. When the Japanese companies entered the big bore market with modern, reliable machines in the early 70s it was all over for the British motorcycle industry & many European companies. I see lots of similarities between the Brit bike companies of that period & the current Italian
espresso machine companies.

Return to “VII General Q&A”