Water Filters

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
Zzyzx

Water Filters

Post by Zzyzx »

Has anyone experimented with different micron filters for your undercounter water filter? I ordered my original set-up from chriscoffee and it came with a 10 micron Omnipure filter. I went ahead an ordered a couple of different size micron filters from here: http://www.waterfilters.net/SearchByBra ... ilters.htm

The prices seem pretty good as well.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Thanks for the link.
I've been meaning to try some different filters. I don't see why any of those wouldn't work, they seem to be the same generic size and besides, some of them have some really good micron ratings. The .5 micron looks pretty nice.

Is it time for you to change yours yet? I'm looking at July for one of my machines and next Feb for the other. Although these others you found might change my mind. I saw a .5 micron at Lowe's for a much higher price - $28 or so (yikes).
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

Niko wrote:
Is it time for you to change yours yet? .
My filter is due to be changed april/may.

I went ahead and ordered a 0.5 and 1 micron filter. The people at waterfilters.net said a 0.5 micron filter will reduce the water pressure a bit. Since my pressure is 70psi without a pressure valve i figured it should be ok. They also said there was not much difference between the 5 and 10 micron filter.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I figured all that is true about the reduction of water pressure and the micron sizes. Let me know how that .5 works out, that's the obvious choice out of the bunch.
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

I'll post my results when they come in :D
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'd like to know how much the pressure drops with that .5 micron filter. Do you have a gauge handy?
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

Ya, my system has a guage attached to it with a valve to adjust the flow rate to 25 psi
Niko

Post by Niko »

For some reason my water pressure keeps dancing around lately, it was set at 25 psi when I installed the unit several weeks ago. My expansion valve started leaking on this machine and there's the reason; my water pressure shot way up to about 40 psi. Time to turn that regulator down a touch to stop that cursed valve...

Anyways, to stay on subject...that's nice that you have the gauge and regulator so please do tell the extact pressure drop when you change over to that very low micron rated filter.
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

Well, I installed my .5 micron filter yesterday. To my surprise it stayed at 25psi. This morning it is now at 32psi :shock: . I'll keep a eye on it for a while to see if it fluctuates more in the next few days
Niko

Post by Niko »

Thanks for the post.
That same thing has been driving me crazy!
I set my regulator to 25 psi, then it moves to 30 psi and then shoots to 35+. I'll then adjust it to...whatever, it's all over the place. I don't want to starve the pump so I try to not go below the 25 psi mark, my expansion valve drips a little at start up and in between shots at times so I can live with that - I'm leaving it alone.
That's certainly good news that your pressure hasn't really dropped.
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

It went back to 25psi on it's own :roll:
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yeah, some pressure drop allright!
I had a nice situation this morning, the utilities company must've shut the water off or something because when it came back on it was nothing but nasty rusty water coming in through our plumbing. Now I see the reason for all these filter cartridges in these machines.

Return to “VII General Q&A”