Brew Temp

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
Niko

Brew Temp

Post by Niko »

I finally roasted my favorite bean to try it on my VII. I left it on the factory setting of 93c, it's been set there since 2 weeks ago when I got the machine. Well, the coffee tasted so nasty I almost wanted to spit it out! I've never experienced a change this drastic before with any of my other roasts. I left the VII on the factory setting on purpose as an experiment compared to my other S1 (set at the factory 95c). Everything certainly tastes different, still good - some better actually and some just plain different. This other one hit rock bottom so I upped the temp 1c and it changed dramatically. I ran out of time before I can hit the 95c mark to see if it tastes the same as the other S1 set at the same temp.
Anyone else experience this with their roasts?

I see a Scace Device in my future...
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

I am finding 94 works the best for a lot of the stuff I am using, and 93 sometimes works, but 95 has never worked for any of my SO or blends.

Sorry for the very non-specific info, but now I just pull the shot at 94, and usually leave it there or adjust down 1 degree, and all has been good.

I suspect as precision as these machines are, and despite the calibration done by Chris, there will be some variance among machines. Kind of like grinder numbers, maybe.
Niko

Post by Niko »

No, not a variance at all it seems, I've noticed that most people use the machine at 93-94 like we do. Most people I've talked to used the S1/VI at 95 and the VII at 94 as an overall average so they seem to be very tight in tolerances to each other. That's a good thing.

Thanks for your feedback, good to know another VII is hitting the same marks.
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

Interesting. In response to this thread, I bumped my VII's temp up to 94. Instant improvement! This machine's temperature control is an awesome thing to have!

I ran out of Vivace Vita just before the Spaz arrived, and have been using the Black Pearl that Chris included with the machine. Nice, but my wife prefers the Vita. I'm curious what she will think of the BP at 94 degrees; she hasn't tried it yet.

I am holding off on the Vita for awhile, since I have some Stumptown Hairbender on the way.

Gary Dahl
Niko

Post by Niko »

Ah Hairbender...
One of my favorites from Stumpy.
I sure do miss pulling those shots and watching the endless crema pour out! And it's certainly tasty.
Funny thing happened this morning, I just pulled another favorite blend through Spaz #1 @ the factory 95c...YUCK! I've been pulling this same stuff on Spaz #2 lately @ the factory 93c...YUM.
This is nuts but I love it. Yeah, the temp controls are awesome on this machine.
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

Kinda depends on the blend but I find myself more often than not at 94. If things start to get a bit bitter or harsh than down to 93. The lower temperature loses some of the chocolate and can get a bit sour on some blends. Most popular blends for me: Toscano and Forte from CCC and Black Cat from Intelligentsia.

Cheers

Ian

Return to “VII General Q&A”